Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • SRAM 10 speed powerlink helpppp!
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

not entirely sure what i did wrong, but i failed with putting mine on today for the first time…

just gone 10 speed and always run sram powerlinks- firstly assume the sram 10speed powerlink is ok with shimano 10 speed chains?

secondly after fitting it ok, i then realised i hadnt put it through the front mech 😆 massive fail, and this is where it went tits up….suddenly tried to release with my hands, no budge, looked at back of packaging it now says, can only be removed via chain tool?? i tried this and the bloody thing bent, and one of the bits got stuck in a link….what have i done wrong here?? surely can be reused?

peteimpreza

The 10 speed ones are not re usable

seven
    Free Member

Indeed they are not. Bit late now, but you could have just unscrewed the cage of the mech and dropped the chain through 🙂

stevede
    Free Member

I think it means that you can only split the chain with a chain tool – not the power link! The powerlinks can be split and reused but not really trailside as they are hard as nails to get apart, snipe nose pliers did the job for me – other brands do reuseable ones but i can’t think who, poss kmc.

shortcut

Use once only. Snap them in by standing on the pedal with the brake on!

Paul-j

same thing happened to me. I used a piece of gear cable threaded it through either side of the link. crossed the cable around each other, then kept twisting with a pair of pliers. slowly it pulled the link inwards witch released it. I used it again and its been fine.

Hope that helps

belugabob
    Free Member

The SRAM 10 speed powerlinks (unlike the other speeds) are not reusable.

Idiots guide to 10 speed chain links

Personally, I use Clarks 10 speed links with a shimano chain.

sambob
    Free Member

I use a Sram PC1090 chain with a KMC link, as these are re-usable. 🙂

matthew_h
    Free Member

The SRAM 10 speed powerlocks are not re-openable by hand but they will open using powerlink pliers. Bit irritating really.

I have fashioned an opener using a piece of old spoke that when squeezed with normal pliers did the job

njee20
    Free Member

They’re not designed to be opened at all, although yes then can be done with pliers, I’m not sure I’d want to do it too much.

KMC Missing Links are designed to be reused, and can be opened by hand, a far better solution IMO.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahhh thanks guys, thought it seemed strange! well i cant believe why sram would do this, but there you go! those connex ones look the biz but bloody expensive at 6quid…

any cheaper alternatives anywhere?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

sorry just posted before reading new entries, kmc missing links you say!?!?! ill take a peak…hopefully not 6 quid!

njee20
    Free Member

Not far off, but you may get 2, I’m not sure.

mav12
    Free Member

Merlin had some cheap 10 speed links

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive ordered a connex 10speed one, cheers for the help – the clarks ones are out of stock at crc – so gone with the next cheapest one…

still cant understand the sram ones being for one use only , very odd!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘SRAM 10 speed powerlink helpppp!’ is closed to new replies.