Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • squeaky brake
  • hainman
    Free Member

as mentioned my rear brake is extremely squeaky,ive had the pads out a couple of times and sanded them down,changed the rotor and still the same ear peircing squeak when i pull on my brake,im totaly at a loss,are my pads f***ed and my rotor to?im running shimano slx and theyre only about a year old,any help would be greatly appreciated.

jimmyjames
    Free Member

Resin pads? These are squeaky in my SLX brakes when bedding in but it passes once the bedding in period is over. Just need to be patient. If you’ve done a few rides (like 5) and they’re still not performing and/or squeaking they may be contaminated somehow. Buying a new set of pads is the only way to know for sure.

billysugger
    Free Member

Have you done a search with ‘squeaky brakes’ there’s more info than Jonny Five could process.

Seems the back of the (dry) pad rubbing on the piston whilst jiggling over bumps is an overlooked cause.

hainman
    Free Member

hey jimmyjames.ive had the brakes for over a year and done a few miles,they were fine until recently,ive taken them out,sanded them,heated them and cleaned them,after their sanded they work fine then after a while sitting they return to squealing like a pig,the slow and eventualy stop but make some racket,if their contaminated are they un-savable??dont want to spend a tenner on pads and find out its not that.

alexpalacefan

If you buy pads and it’s “not that” you still have the old pads right?

I’d be checking calliper alignment, and be sure all the relevant bolts, even rotor and QR bolts, are as tight as they should be.

After that…

Vibration in the hose?
    Cup ‘n’ cone?
    Try Copper Slip on the BACK of the pads. Be warned this may cause contamination, but motor sport types swear by it.

Who knows.

Hope that helps,

APF

yunki
    Free Member

as above.. check everything that may be the cause of resonance..

My brakes have started sqeaking incessantly recently recently..at the moment I’m putting it down to my hubs being well overdue a service…

fingers crossed

hainman
    Free Member

cheerrs guys.will try the copperseal.im sure my calipers are aligned properly,you slacken bolts then pull on lever and then tighten bolts again to align caliper.is that right??
    APF what do i look for in the cup n cones??to tight or to slack??

alexpalacefan

Too slack, allowing vibration.

APF

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘squeaky brake’ is closed to new replies.