Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 237 total)
  • spring classics 2022
  • anagallis_arvensis

Can’t help but think Pidcock is not the right size to have the power to be a northern classics type rider. He’s sub 60kg isn’t he?

Wiki says 58kg and it also says Pog 66kg, Van alert 78kg, MVdP 75kg. Doubt they are that accurate but it does paint a picture.

lightman
    Free Member

Toms not as fit as last year, but last years results are pretty impressive I would say especially for someone his size –
    1st Brabantse Pijl
    2nd Amstel Gold Race
    3rd Kuurne–Brussels–Kuurne
    5th Strade Bianche
    6th Road race, UCI Road World Championships
    6th La Flèche Wallonne
    3rd Dwars door Vlaanderen

AdamT

I rode the 179km route yesterday and was spectating on the Kwaremont today. Really amazing to watch and great atmosphere. The Belgians really love thier biking eh?

13thfloormonk

Anyone see Jumbo-Vismas automatic disc brake bedder -inner jig? Like a motorised wheel on turbo trainer, slot bike in, press foot pedal, drag brake.

Every shop should have one, you can sit and sip a coffee whilst your rotors get a fresh bedding in after you’ve spent a few rides being naughty and feathering them gently into corners and laying down all sorts of irregular brake track on your rotor… 🙄

weeksy

@adamt

I rode the 179km route yesterday and was spectating on the Kwaremont today. Really amazing to watch and great atmosphere. The Belgians really love thier biking eh?

Yes they really really do. Was massively impressed with them a week or so back.

crazy-legs

Next up, Scheldeprijs on Wednesday then Amstel Gold on Sunday (both have Men’s & Women’s races).

It’s been a while since I was out there but I’ve ridden most of the climbs in and around Oudenaarde, visited the museum there and so on. Most of the villages in and around that area have little crits on regularly during the summer and they’re amazing. Whole town turns out, roads are just completely closed down and riders descend on the town from all over. The prize money is very good – decent riders can actually make a living off it – and they’re wildly popular. Huge fields, loads of spectators and then afterwards, the town returns to its sleepy little self as if nothing had happened! Just always seems to be a welcoming attitude to cycling and cyclists out there.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Interesting edition of Scheldeprijs today. Cross winds decimating the field and a very reduced group of 13 well clear with 23km to go. Quickstep and Jumbo both missed the bus!

Klunk
    Free Member

Looks like it’s operation “try and break mvdp” @ amstel

avdave2

Wow! It’s like déjà vu all over again

Klunk
    Free Member

good race that!

Spin
    Free Member

Sad for Cosnefroy but great to see Kwiato get it after a few leaner years.

MoreCashThanDash

Got back and turned it on with 2km to go great finish!

crazy-legs

Was out riding all day yesterday so missed everything about Amstel Gold!

Anyway, final race of the Spring Classics this weekend – Paris-Roubaix!
    Have to say, a couple of years ago when the cycling press was fwapping away at any and all “innovation” to conquer the cobbles and combining it with all sorts of prose about the iconic iconicness of the iconic event it almost turned me off it completely. Couldn’t move for some ex-pro or other banging on incessantly about cobbles so I’m hoping to avoid all that this year and just watch the race without any of the “who’s on form?!” build up.

Bazz

Anyway, final race of the Spring Classics this weekend – Paris-Roubaix!

La Fleche Wallonne?
    Liege – Baston – Liege??

Still some great racing to come 😎

crazy-legs

La Fleche Wallonne?
    Liege – Baston – Liege??

Still some great racing to come 😎

I think of those as the Ardennes Classics but yes, it’s a fairly loose definition! The racing so far has been good, it’s nice to see the crowds back.

stevious

Loves a good bike throw does Michał

Klunk
    Free Member

Looks like WvA is fit for sunday, lets hope his legs are good.

TiRed

Bike is prepped… For the rollers. Tomorrow I shall wheel out the Paris Roubaix winner…

The irony is, Degenkolb won in 2015 and this bike was discontinued in 2014 so you couldn’t buy it. All that effort by Giant to make a classic winning bike and they’d stopped selling them for the love of discs! Note the Elite gel water bottle cages. Pros know what works and you’ll see the usual carbon stuff replaced by these on Sunday.

Anyway, mine is the same size, has manual shifting DA and cheaper wheels (7.25kg all up). It seems to be a bit slower – but mine’s clean ;-). Have raced it (slower than my Propel), done 100’s on it and just cruised around on club rides. It’s even been to Belgium. I don’t think I’ll ever sell it!

crazy-legs

Classy looking bike that @TiRed. Decking could do with a bit of a clean though…

😉

Women’s Paris-Roubaix tomorrow. I’m riding in the morning but should get back in time for the majority of the race. Looking forward to it. Lizzie Deignan isn’t riding so no repeat of her epic solo breakaway win from last year – and it also won’t be muddy. I’d really like Vos to win but Elisa Balsamo (and in fact most of the Trek-Segafredo team) will be hard to beat.

theotherjonv

Balsamo just dq’ed with a very sticky bottle, all to play for now. About 20s lead for a soloist with 25km to go (not naming in case of spoiler avoidance, but I’d argue if you don’t want spoilers don’t open a thread on the spring classics)

scaredypants

Balsamo just dq’ed with a very sticky bottle

would’ve gotten away with it, if it wasn’t for those pesky riders she overtook while hanging on ! 😂

theotherjonv

just had to make a phone call, and she’s put 20s back into them in the last 5 or 6km. Did the chase group give up?

scaredypants

yeah, suddenly sat up

leffeboy

would’ve gotten away with it, if it wasn’t for those pesky riders she overtook while hanging on !

It was a bit too sticky really in the end.  The car should have known better

crazy-legs

just had to make a phone call, and she’s put 20s back into them in the last 5 or 6km. Did the chase group give up?

It contained 2 teammates of the leader and 2 individuals so it was just the teammate duo marking everything.

There seemed to be a lot of punctures, I’d have thought tubeless should have done away with most of those. Pressures too low causing the tyre to burp?

slowoldman

Delighted for Elisa. A brilliant attack and great team work to disrupt the chase. Oh and my cheeky side bet came in 3rd.

13thfloormonk

There seemed to be a lot of punctures, I’d have thought tubeless should have done away with most of those. Pressures too low causing the tyre to burp?

I almost gave up on tubeless for gravel riding for this reason, if you ran pressures any lower than you would with tubes you just pinched the tyre instead! Had just as many punctures tubeless as with tubes! Am now nervously eyeing a set of Rimpact CX inserts that are apparently hell to fit but should allow lower pressures without risking damage to tyre

I understand tubular carry less risk of pinch flats as rim doesn’t have the same sharp sidewall?

TiRed

Tomorrow is the single biggest tech day of the road racing year… Dynamic air pressures is coming, but not this year, apparently. Like Deg’s calliper-braked Defy, a non-tubeless will win tomorrow. Would be funny if it was tubs, but clinchers and latex tubes are very nice. I was reminded just how nice this afternoon. Excited.

Kryton57

Liking at TiRed’s defy and hoping someone wins on a Domane today to sway my purchasing strategy away from a 2020 TCR build 😀 I reckon a Domane is perfect for a 50yo with a bad neck on club runs…

Right, off for a ride now and back in time to put my feet up in front of the Telly. No Belgian beer for me though, I’ve our own club classic around Essex to sweep tomorrow.

w00dster

As someone with a Domane who loves it…..it’s a heavy bike and quite dull. Absolutely Uber comfortable though especially with nice supple 32mm tubeless tyres….but I’d much rather have a TCR.

Klunk
    Free Member

cagey with half arsed break attempts so far

scaredypants

playing chicken with the road furniture just now 😮

crazy-legs

Yep, quite a cagey and disorganised start. Mix of riders who seem to want a break vs some who are quite happy to sit at the back and wait another 50km. Looks quite steady at the back. Hides the fact it’s still 50km/hr!

wipperman95
    Free Member

As the owner of a few Domanes, I’m not a fan of the current one, I liked the previous versions, and the ‘new’ one as ridden by Elisa & her team looks a lot better.

It looks like the men’s team are using it as well. It seems as if EF are no longer using the Synapse, which is a shame, as it’s also a great rough road bike.

As this is a MTB website, I hope one of the MTB riders wins.

mashr

Ooohh and it starts getting interesting from here!

crazy-legs

Suddenly all gone mental, that’s a big split now with a lot of big names caught at the back.

Duggan

Turned on just in time to see the split

slowoldman

Mmmmmm…. Looking interesting.

Liking at TiRed’s defy and hoping someone wins on a Domane today to sway my purchasing strategy away from a 2020 TCR build

Well they’ve won the first two women’s races.

I reckon a Domane is perfect for a 50yo with a bad neck on club runs…

As a slow old man I reckon it would be a toss up between a Domane and a Roubaix. Maybe.

theotherjonv

interesting from Wiggins, no team cars yet so any punctures or mechanicals and you’re back in the bunch. I thought the time needed was a minute, do they need to shove on and get a bit more so the cars can get in?

Duggan

Seeing the state of the potholed roads around Manchester and Cheshire on my ride yesterday I think everyone’s gonna need a Roubaix as standard soon

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 237 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.