Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Sports Personality of the Year – Voting tactics
  • IHN

It’s this Sunday, and we don’t want the amazeballsiness of having three cyclist nominees splitting the ‘cyclist vote’ so, just to be clear, the tactics are:

1) Vote once each for Wiggo, Sir Chris and Sarah Storey
    2) Vote again for the one of the three that you want to win

Yeah?

jam-bo

Meh.

the-muffin-man

Or don’t vote at all because it’s pretty meaningless really?

IHN

You’ve got to love STW “I care about this so little that I feel obliged to open the thread, read it and post something to it to make the point” posts.

Take your humbug elsewhere 🙂

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Brad will storm it without tactical voting.

If ever there should be tactical voting or a campaign of sorts it would be to ensure that David Rudisha wins the overseas award.

the-muffin-man

It’s Christmas – humbug is obligatory!

OmarLittle
    Free Member

It is out of Wiggo, Murray and Farah for me. Either of those 3 would be a worthy winner

IHN

Brad will storm it without tactical voting.

But with my cunning scheme we may get them all in the top three 🙂

If ever there should be tactical voting or a campaign of sorts it would be to ensure that David Rudisha wins the overseas award.

That’s not voted for is it?

IHN

Not Murray.

All conquering? No (I’m sorry, but Olympic tennis doen’t count)
    Personality? Hmmm…

jota180
    Free Member

I think I’ll vote for Ennis TBH

Just to see her walk up to the stage with her pert little ………

MSP

I don’t see that Murray should get a look in, the best he has ever been is 3rd best in the world. Wiggo and Farah are clearly currently the No 1 guys in their respective sports. Outside chance for Weir, I find much of the talking up of the paralympics to be patronising guff, but was quite caught up with his achievements.

lunge

I think Wiggo will take it but an Olympic year can and will throw up all kinds of things. I think Ainsley is right up there in being most deserving of the award but I doubt he will get anywhere near the top 3.

For those who gamble, a cheeky each way bet on Ellie Simmonds may be worth looking at.

theotherjonv

I think Wiggo’s nailed on, but I want it to be Sir Chris.

Nothing against Bradley, I just think Chris’s longevity, the way he dealt with losing the kilo as his event and came back as a sprinter, then lost that too and became the beast of the keirin. And the fact that every time he gets on his bike in the velodrome, it’s a maximum effort day. Chris doesn’t do long rides at zone 2 intensity. Chris goes into the redzone and then keeps it there as long as he can. Then he falls over , wipes the vomit off his chin, and does it again. Vote Hoy!

druidh
    Free Member

Determined in what way?

fogliettaz
    Free Member

As well as being a keen cyclist, I am also a keen sailor.

Wiggins or Anslie ?

IHN

If longevity is the benchmark, then Sarah Storey should get it:

Gold 1992 Barcelona 100 m backstroke S10
    Gold 1992 Barcelona 200 m individual medley SM10
    Gold 1996 Atlanta 100 m backstroke S10
    Gold 1996 Atlanta 100 m breaststroke SB10
    Gold 1996 Atlanta 200 m individual medley SM10
    Gold 2008 Beijing Time trial LC 1–2/CP 4
    Gold 2008 Beijing Individual pursuit LC 1–2/CP 4
    Gold 2012 London Individual pursuit C5
    Gold 2012 London Time Trial C4–5 500m
    Gold 2012 London Individual Road Time Trial C5
    Gold 2012 London Individual Road Race C4–5
    Silver 1992 Barcelona 400 m freestyle S10
    Silver 1992 Barcelona 4×100 m freestyle S7–10
    Silver 1992 Barcelona 4×100 m medley S7–10
    Silver 1996 Atlanta 400 m freestyle S10
    Silver 2000 Sydney 100 m backstroke S10
    Silver 2000 Sydney 4×100 m medley 34pts
    Silver 2004 Athens 100 m breaststroke SB9
    Silver 2004 Athens 200 m individual medley SM10
    Bronze 1992 Barcelona 100 m freestyle S10
    Bronze 1996 Atlanta 100 m freestyle S10
    Bronze 2004 Athens 100 m freestyle S10

mefty
    Free Member

Wiggins has won medals at as many Olympics as Hoy and as many medals, just not as many golds.

br
    Free Member

I think I’ll vote for Ennis TBH

Just to see her walk up to the stage with her pert little ………

Or if they’ve an Italian cameraman in, you’ll see her the most anyway
    🙂

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Farah deserves it for me due to not only the way he ripped the world apart in two crazy fast races but his gentle and unassuming, smiley nature, his role in his family involving them in everything he does, and the way he has upped his life to train in the right place to do what he has done. He is a far better role model for the average young brit than anyone else on that line up. There’s not one shred of arrogance about him, he is driven by the will to win, not the will to make money. Never seen such a likeable person winning. I get a lump in my throat just thinking about it never mind watching the two races again!

JAG

Winning ‘Le Tour’ is a first for an Englishman so I believe we should recognise Wiggo for that reason alone.

He’ll be getting my vote on Sunday 8)

edlong
    Free Member

I didn’t know people were that bothered. I mean, I’m sure I’ll watch it, and I’ll be interested to see who’ll win, and I might even vote, but tactical voting? For SPOTY? Really?

I doubt the candidates are that bothered, it’s not like any of them will be thinking, “y’know, I thought 2012 was going to be a good year, what with the Olympic gold medal(s), but damnit, lost out on BBC SPOTY, what an annus horibilis it’s turned out to be.”

convert

[mean mode]

his role in his family involving them in everything he does,

Well he clearly involves his daughter in the pre race carbo loading food fests – just a shame she doesn’t do the running around bit too!

[/mean mode]

IHN

edlong – may I refer you to my earlier post.

Trimix
    Free Member

Given we dont really know any of them how can we vote for their personality ?

Shouldnt it be media personality of the year ?

Napalm
    Free Member

I was at the Blur concert at the end of the Olympics and they showed profiles on the big screens of all leading contenders before Blur came on.

Farah – big cheer from the crowd
    Murray – ditto
    Wiggins – ditto
    Ennis – everyone’s eardrums were burst by the biggest & sustained cheer I’ve ever heard

Blur sounded a tad better after thst.

binners

I think they should break with tradition this year, and instead of public voting, who quite frankly can’t be trusted (2 words: Lib Dem), they should settle it by an ‘Its a Knockout’ style live show. With big inflatable hammers and water slides and stuff

The venues big enough for it. And an extra threatening dimension could be added by the competitors being chased around by a number of busy-handed hosts

edlong
    Free Member

IHN, you may, and I hear you but I didn’t say I’m not interested in SPOTY (I said I’d watch, and might vote), just that imho tactical voting is taking things a bit far. It’s interesting, but it’s not important.

spacemonkey

If longevity is the benchmark, then Sarah Storey should get it:

Gold 1992 Barcelona 100 m backstroke S10
    Gold 1992 Barcelona 200 m individual medley SM10
    Gold 1996 Atlanta 100 m backstroke S10
    Gold 1996 Atlanta 100 m breaststroke SB10
    Gold 1996 Atlanta 200 m individual medley SM10
    Gold 2008 Beijing Time trial LC 1–2/CP 4
    Gold 2008 Beijing Individual pursuit LC 1–2/CP 4
    Gold 2012 London Individual pursuit C5
    Gold 2012 London Time Trial C4–5 500m
    Gold 2012 London Individual Road Time Trial C5
    Gold 2012 London Individual Road Race C4–5
    Silver 1992 Barcelona 400 m freestyle S10
    Silver 1992 Barcelona 4×100 m freestyle S7–10
    Silver 1992 Barcelona 4×100 m medley S7–10
    Silver 1996 Atlanta 400 m freestyle S10
    Silver 2000 Sydney 100 m backstroke S10
    Silver 2000 Sydney 4×100 m medley 34pts
    Silver 2004 Athens 100 m breaststroke SB9
    Silver 2004 Athens 200 m individual medley SM10
    Bronze 1992 Barcelona 100 m freestyle S10
    Bronze 1996 Atlanta 100 m freestyle S10
    Bronze 2004 Athens 100 m freestyle S10

**** me, in which she’s a cert for the Lifetime Award … only she’s not … because she’s a paralympian 🙄

IHN

It’s interesting, but it’s not important

Hmm, maybe, although I’ve yet to see a winner of it who hasn’t been pretty humbled by winning it (with the exception of Zara Phillips, who just looked rightly embarassed). I think it is a pretty big thing to them, after all they’ve probably grown up watching it.

Binners – Nearly but not quite, what they should do is merge SPOTY and Superstars 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

they should settle it by a live ‘Its a Knockout’ style live show

Given Stuart Hall’s current predicament, what exactly are you expecting to see take place?

Anyway, I’ll vote for Ellie Simmons. Ace athlete. Great personality.

IHN

Anyway, I’ll vote for Ellie Simmons

And for all three cyclists, yeah?

wrecker
    Free Member

And for all three cyclists, yeah?

Why? Just because they’re cyclists?
    This about achievement.
    Wiggo, Farah and Ennis for me.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

An achievement is worth so much more if it’s in a sport with more competitors globally. Therefore I will always consider someone who wins a global running race as much more successful than someone who wins a cycling race, and they will be worth more than someone who wins a heptathlon. In my opinion. As for that thing where horses dance about.., I don’t very well think so!

mogrim

A Spanish perspective:

Farrah: Who?

Ennis: Who?

Hoy: Who?

Murray: ah, the tennis player

Wiggins: ah, the cyclist.

So Wiggins or Murray, and I’d obviously rather it was Wiggins.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I don’t see that Murray should get a look in, the best he has ever been is 3rd best in the world. Wiggo and Farah are clearly currently the No 1 guys in their respective sports. Outside chance for Weir, I find much of the talking up of the paralympics to be patronising guff, but was quite caught up with his achievements.

Wiggins isn’t number 1, Rodriguez is ranked No.1 by the UCI (wiggins is 2). Wiggins and Murray both won a competition this year, but neither was ranked number 1.

spawnofyorkshire

@thisisnotaspoon

wiggins was ranked no1 in the worldtour from winning the Dauphine up until the last race of the season when Purito overtook him, so yes he was ranked number 1, but didn’t finish number 1.

I’d genuinely quite like Storey to win it seeing as she not only bossed the para’s, she was a gnats wossit away from being in the womens pursuit team at the olympics and has won world cup events with them.

All in all i’d genuinely be happy with any single one of the 12 winning due to the top class years they had

citizeninsane
    Free Member

“I don’t see that Murray should get a look in, the best he has ever been is 3rd best in the world.”
    – He was actually ranked 2nd a while back.

It’s down to Wiggins and Murray. Both won Olympics and both won major events this year. Got the feeling Murray would have to win Wimbledon before he’d win it.

mefty
    Free Member

Wiggins is top of the IG Pro Cycling Index

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Sports Personality of the Year – Voting tactics’ is closed to new replies.