Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Spoke length help
  • JackHammer

I’ve got a ss commuter and I need help picking the spoke length. I’ve found 2 different lengths from 2 different calculators and I don’t know what length nipples I want/need. If someone could look over my numbers and let me know what I’m missing or what they think

Front hub

OLD of 100mm

16mm from end cap flat to flange

Flange diameter 63mm on both sides

Center to each flange is 34

Rim erd is 606mm

Rear hub

OLD 120mm

28mm from end cap to flange

Flange diameter is 63mm

Center to flange is 32mm

Many thanks

Jack

JackHammer

Duh 32 spokes 3 cross

Haze
    JackHammer

OK that’s punching out 292.2mm for front and rear. So do I get 292mm or 293mm (if they exist) or 294mm?

JackHammer

going with 294 thanks.

keir
    Free Member

always round by the smallest possible amount from the lengths available. 292.2 is definitely a 292. 293 at a push, 294 is too long.

JackHammer

Ignore. I can get 293mm. I’ll opt for them. I don’t want to spend £50+ on spokes and then have them all too short.

daern
    Free Member

That’s the opposite of what the site above tells me… Hence my confusion.

It depends on the spokes, but most will “bottom out” when you run out of thread, so if the spokes are too long you’ll reach a point where the nipples won’t tighten any further and you can’t adjust the wheel properly. For this reason, I would also round down, not up.

I’ve seen sites that talk about spokes having external threads, so the nipple can literally screw right over the thread and drop into the middle of the spoke which would let you run longer spokes (and have some sticking out through the nipple), but the DT Competition ones I use certainly don’t do this, so shorter is better than longer.

JackHammer

Roger, noted. thanks.

daern
    Free Member

Roger, noted. thanks.

Good luck – I’ve got a pile of spokes arriving today to rebuild a second-hand road wheelset that I bought with seized nipples. I cheated a little here though – I was able to get enough of the old spokes off intact, so could measure them up rather than needing to resort to calculations!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Will be about 20 quid for ACI spokes from Cyclebasket

https://www.cyclebasket.com/m9b0s454p991/ACI_Alpina_Stainless_Steel_DB_Spokes_Silver_Packets_of_20_

ACI make good spokes too. I’ve never had one snap despite some heavily loaded touring on home made wheels (and I’m terrible and building wheels).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Spoke length help’ is closed to new replies.