Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Spinning wheel on Macbook – help!
  • heihei

Have a 5 month old Macbook pro that has recently started suffering from the spinning wheel particularly when browsing using Safari. There isn't much stored on the hard-drive and I've tried clearing the cache etc but to no avail. Any ideas?

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

mine did the same till i updated the software.

tails
    Free Member

Clear all history, cache. Software update. Then Utilities – Desk Utilities – select Harddrive – Repair.

druidh
    Free Member

Buy a PC 😆

mrmo
    Free Member

does it spin when using flash heavy websites?

old_mtber
    Free Member

If only 5 months old will still be covered by warranty – contact Apple for advice.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Open Spotlight (that little magnifying glass icon, far top right of the screen) and pull up Activity Monitor – that may show you what taking up the capacity on the CPU?

Also, are you with BT for your interweb connection?
    We are and had real issues for weeks with download speed – I knew it was not the MBP as I take it in to work and it was fine there.
    3 weeks (!) and a lot of conversations with India later and they finally sent us some sort of speed-booster which I had to screw on to the incoming phone socket.
    All seems ok now…

pixelmix
    Free Member

Sounds like a software problem rather than hardware. Probably a badly coded website?

Make sure safari is up to date, an eye on activity monitor to see if there are any CPU hogging programs.

Sandwich

Click to flash will help with flash heavy stuff. Disk utility is what you should use to repair permissions, if you need to repair the disk you will need to start from the supplied DVD and run disk utility from that. Also down load one of the UNIX script utilities like Cocktail and run the Cron scripts that would normally run at 3am every day.

fivelittlefish
    Free Member

Try Firefox, it's usually faster…

Talkemada
    Free Member

Try Firefox, it's usually faster…

But very resource hungry, so it'll probably make things worse.

Are you running other applications at the same time? Have you installed extra RAM, or are you on the same amount it came with?

Using Activity Monitor, as suggested, may help you find where the problem lies. I discovered that Safari can use loads of RAM, especially if you have several tabs/windows open in Safari. A programme called 'Flash Player(Safari Internet plug-in) also uses up loads.

If the spinning wheel/beachball spins for a while then stops, and allows you to continue browsing, then it's possibly just a RAM issue (not enough to run the programmes you have open, without stalling).

Could also be an internet issue, if other programmes aren't affected.

BigJohn

What tyres for spinning wheel on macbook?

grumm
    Free Member

Don't suppose you installed rapport internet banking security software recently – discovered it was making my mac run like an absolute dog.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Spinning wheel on Macbook – help!’ is closed to new replies.