Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Spinning….
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

…..**** that shit. Who does press ups on a **** bike. I nearly died! Yes I’m mardy!

thepurist

Not all spinning classes are equal! And you don’t need to follow the shouty instructor either.  Try a different class, you’ll probably still die but might skip the press ups.

Saccades
    Free Member

I really like the local setup, 45 mins of bike then 15 mins of core exercises.

Stomach isn’t shrinking and the crunches murder me but my back ache has pretty much gone.

Caher

Did a lot of spinning last winter and came into spring pretty fit for the outdoor stuff.

Hohum
    Free Member

Not all spin instructors are the same.

Whilst I do really enjoy current instructor’s classes, I feel the same way as you OP when he makes us do press-ups, grrr!

fossy

Not sure I’d enjoy it riding hard at room temp with no air cooling. I use my turbo with two large fans on full blast in a cool garage, and I still pour in sweat. It’s too warm to even consider it.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I do 5 spin classes most weeks and not once do I do press ups. Try different instructors, there’s 9 instructors at my gym, I’ve tried all their classes at one time or another and know that 3 of them are really not for me. Based on their attendance other people do enjoy them so they definitely have a place.

Yes the room lacks ventilation, is too hot and ends with a great puddle of sweat on the floor, yes the bikes are a bit chunky and the power readout’s a tad optimistic but I’m still more likely to do this regularly as the social aspect is nice and the requirement to pre book makes it feel like an appointment that you can’t really put off in the way that I tend to do with the turbo trainer.

Moe

Spinning is great for me, I’m basically lazy and rarely push myself by choice but in a spin class I just hit it, it’s good value for effort! My gym is a five minute walk, as has been said different instructors have different methods.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Was shown around a gym with a view to joining once. There was a spin class in progress. Dark room, very loud music, shouty instructor, disco lights and a disco ball.

Went home, realised I don’t fit into the modern world and I don’t want to. Then went out for a bike ride.

DezB
    Free Member

Overdoing the spinning Not Healthy according to BBC news 😀

deadkenny
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As others said, try other instructor/gym/bike, I found some instructors just did lots of short intervals which just weren’t tiring me out, I much preferred the ones that did bigger blocks or longer pyramid ramps. And some bikes are ‘easier to go harder’ than others (ones with magnetic resistance rather than friction blocks). I used to do 2x 45min back to back classes in lieu of a night ride!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Obviously some gym beasts on here. To aid my gym attendance I’ve paid up front for a year, so can’t switch, however there are different classes so we’ll see what Monday brings….

Hohum
    Free Member

Not all bikes of the same make and model are the same when it comes to turning up the resistance as well, with not all of them calibrated the same.

alpin
    Free Member
    wobbliscott
    Free Member

What’s wrong with press ups on a Spin bike? I do regular spin classes and none of my current instructors do it, but previous ones have. Gives a good all over workout. I suppose you don’t have to do them if it bothers you. A spin bike is not like a normal bike on a turbo…it’s a much stiffer and sturdier structure, more stable with much wider bars so you can lean your body weight more than you would on a bike on a turbo.

johndoh
    Free Member

I regularly spin and I must admit I don’t like the press-ups thing, but its purely because I don’t have the co-ordination to do it all together.

But overall I love spinning – it’s a great way of getting some riding in on a lunchtime at work and has been great for my overall cycling fitness.

retro83
    Free Member

First time I went, i didn’t realise you were supposed to ignore 90% of the instructions so I was duly adding one full turn, one full turn, all the way through.

Thought it was a pretty tough work out, but when it came to the time to leave, everyone else sauntered off barely even ‘glowing’,  whereas I was trying to QWOP it out of there with  structurally unsound legs, and a t-shirt which literally needed wringing out.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m glad to see some people like it, or at least get a benefit from it. I’ve been toying with trying again hoping it had changed a bit in 15 years.

I went a few times a long time ago, it was just the most horrible experience!

Certain elements of it, seem to me at least at the time, to be universal:

Classes are held in a bad 90s Rave, dark, flashing lights, crap ‘Dance’ music LOUD, manic MC at the front shouting completely incomprehensible nonsense, honestly I couldn’t tell whether she wanted us to pedal faster or for the whistle posse to blow.

Whatever they’re called, the equipment is nothing like a bike, fixed gear, horrible feeling drag, MASSIVE seat so wide you can’t get a decent stroke in. I learned it was a fixie about 5 mins in. I started too hard and instinct made me ‘coast’ for a quarter of a second, hit my head on the suspended ceiling as 8,000,000 kNm sent me vertical.

Always at least one Wally taking to far, turning up in fully Sky kit with his own carbon SPD slippers on, at least he didn’t bring a helmet, but give the above, it might not have been a bad idea.

funkmasterp

I can see why people like it, but it’s not for me. I do a few classes at my local gym and any time a bike is used a small part of me cries. A bike that’s inside and doesn’t move is a bike I want no part of. It’s like anti-cycling to me 😕

johndoh
    Free Member

I was duly adding one full turn, one full turn, all the way through.

I tend to add most of the turns on – but its always very obvious to see the gym bunnies who haven’t when you are meant to be grinding out a climb and they are spinning along like they are on a tow path.

Moe

There are others at the other end of the scale that think they have to grind the whole class, it’s structured for a reason FFS!! Why they pay to do a class and then ignore the instruction is anyone’s guess but my theory is that as long as they can record it as done that’s all that really matters to them!

wrightyson
    Free Member

As a “mountain biker” first and foremost I did find the resistance hard to master. I couldn’t seem to stand up and pedal without having the resistance up really high. There was a few sod wearers in there last night which came as surprise but made total sense.

DezB
    Free Member

I can see why people like it, but it’s not for me

For most blokes, the sweaty, lycra clad ladies are worth the regular attendance, so I’ve heard 😉

But yeah, I commute pretty much daily anyway – I’d much rather be out in this mental wind than stuck inside a gym with shite dance music blaring out!

I did do a spin class once, when I was away on a work training course. I quite enjoyed it. But I don’t do training courses any more.

Pigface
    Free Member

Love spinning, one of our instructors does the push thing, if I feel like it I will do it otherwise I just do some other bit I like.

One of of our instructors did 10 minutes of out of the saddle dips, from front back back. Awful and boring, her class only has about 6 people in it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Spinning….’ is closed to new replies.