Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Spesh Eliminator grid 2.6?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Anyone tried one on the rear? As much as I like my slaughter out back, I’d like to go 2.6, and try a wee bit more bite while I’m at it.

Only 20 quid, worth a try?.

andybrad

got the black diamond one and its great. easily the best rear tyre ive run although i think that may be down to the black diamond casing. not had the grid one…. following as the bd one is super heavy

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve got the Eliminator Grid 2.3 on the back of my Levo. It’s great!

I don’t think the 2.6 is a whole lot bigger – this 2.3 is closer to a 2.4 and I believe the 2.6 is more like a 2.5 – but personally I think that’s a good thing.

My usual rear tyre of choice is a DHR2 and I think the Eliminator is similar – but a bit quicker rolling and a bit less braking bite.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sounds promising, aye, 2.5 would be fine Chief, and I’m sure the braking bite will be better than my slaughter. 😊

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tempted by 2.6 butcher BD too….

timc
    Free Member

I run 29×2.6 BD Butchers on My Cotic Soda MAX, loads of grip, im happy with them, i would say they are a little pressure sensitive!

Tracey

Got 2.6 Grid on a Stumpy. 2.3 Grid Trail on the Levo. 2.3 Grid on the ST and 2.3 Blck Dmond on an Enduro. All perform well in grip and durability. Roll a bit faster than a Butcher on the back
    Abigale prefers the Blck Dmnds 2.6 Butcher on the front and 2.3 on the back for competing.
    We then tend to run whats left of Abigales tyres on Kevins until they are shattered.
    22psi front 24 psi rear

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Most of my riding mates are on ebikes now Tracey, I need as much rolling speed as I can get! 😂

Tracey

Thats why we put the worn ones on Kevins

chiefgrooveguru

I replaced a Butcher 2.6 with an Eliminator 2.3 – the Eliminator seems to manage to corner as well whilst rolling faster and braking better! The 2.6 Grid casing is quite pressure sensitive, much better with foam inserts. 2.3 isn’t as finicky. But I REALLY HATE squirm, am on a Levo and weigh just under 14 stone.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pretty much same weight here, slaughter grid has taken some abuse, looking for something as tough tbh.

I’m a lot more precise about front tyre pressure than rear, as long as I know the big Mary is biting in up front, I’m happy to forego a wee bit of rear grip for a wee bit more speed.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Where you getting them for twenty quid?

tall_martin

I killed a 2.3 eliminator grid on its first ride. Hit a rock and got a big hole plus a cut at the bead I couldn’t fix.

I’ve had no such problems with butchers and purgatorys

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I did that with 2 maxxis EXO tyres in quick succession, so I avoid them now. Always got on with grid though, just wondered if they’re still as tough in the bigger size.

Tracey

The Grid with Gripton compound isn’t as tough as the older Grids from a few years ago with regards sidewall protection. The Blck Dmnd compound was developed due to this and is as bomb proof a tyre as you will get. Abigale ran a 2.6 Butcher prototype for two seasons and it never let her down. Its now on her dads bike and still good for a few more rides
    The Grid Trail is an in between. It seams to have had an extra coating of something on the sidewall to toughen it up. All done a couple of rides on it so hard to comment on if it works or not

Rik
    Free Member

I killed a 2.3 eliminator grid on its first ride. Hit a rock and got a big hole plus a cut at the bead I couldn’t fix.

I’ve had no such problems with butchers and purgatorys

I did exactly the same but with the 2.6. Ran previously a 2.6 butcher on the same trails for a year with no issues.

Plus the eliminator is much smaller (both in width and volume)than the equivalent butcher which measures up a true 2.6 on 35mm rims. I’m firmly back on the butchers on the rear. Just grid with a tyre insert, although I do have a black diamond version I’m yet to try it, but the extra heft it will prob be without the insert.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

👌🏻

tall_martin

I ran the 2.6 butcher black diamonds front and back for a week in whistler this summer. One puncture and awesome grip. I did a couple of days with out lifts and the weight of them was definitely noticeable. I was perfectly happy to put up with that there, it’s over kill for the trail I ride in the midlands.

I’ve had a 2.6 butcher grid on the front of the same bike for a year and a half with no problems and a slaughter on the back of both my mtbs over summer. I’ve a purgatory on the back of the hardtail and a Maxxis double down dhr2 on the back after killing the eliminator.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

2.6 BD butcher it is, should complement the meaty Mary 2.6 quite well. 💪🏻

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Seems a good tyre, but 2.6 is too big for the Brawnson, I’ll keep it as a summer front.

Back to the drawing board.

chiefgrooveguru

The Eliminator 2.3” is great and a good size too, measures 2.4” across. Better than the Butcher 2.6” in every way on the back – as I said before you bought it! 😉

chiefgrooveguru

From reviews I’ve read online it seems the undersized Eliminator 2.6” (which is skinnier then the Butcher 2.6”) is almost the same size as the oversized 2.3”. **** knows why!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Spesh Eliminator grid 2.6?’ is closed to new replies.