• This topic has 34 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by moose.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Speeding cyclist knocked me out!
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

There is so much wrong with this news story I don’t know where to start. The comments are fairly unanimous though

https://www.herefordtimes.com/news/17404802.speeding-cyclist-knocked-me-out/

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wow didn’t expect to see the comments going hat way!!

Prime candidate for APILN

theotherjonv

Comments are good though…..

“Dr Jelley was very wobbly when she got to her feet”

mickmcd
    Free Member

What is cycling down a hill

It’s called bombing darn t ill round here

Cougar

“He was coming at such a speed I didn’t even see him. It knocked me out for a couple of seconds.”

Dr Jelley, who owns The Dentist at Tupsley, said she thinks the cyclist was travelling at least 30mph.

How does one gauge the speed of something one hasn’t even seen?

She said: “Every single day someone comes down too fast on that road on a bike.

And yet, she didn’t think to take extra care to look for bikes?

mickmcd
    Free Member

And yet, she didn’t think to take extra care to look for bikes?

She’s just pissed off a car would have got her a handsome payout….cyclist ..no insurance gets you zero

trail_rat
    Free Member

She’s probably not going to do that again.

Education for pedestrians in that article

Poopscoop

Nice bit of impartial reporting there from the journalist. 😒

Basically she didn’t look properly when she crossed the road and walked right into the path of a cyclist.

She is lucky it was “only” a bike that hit get imo.

trailwagger
    Free Member

This now reminds of that fixie rider in London that collided with a pedestrian that stepped into the road without looking. IIRC the pedestrian died and he got done for it as he didn’t have a brake.
    The cyclist in this case didnt stick around, so if it was found he had no brakes or efective brakes would that change everyones opinion of the dentist asking for it by not looking?

martinhutch

“Dr Jelley was very wobbly when she got to her feet”

Missed opportunity to call it a ‘trifling incident’.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Trail wagger

He was made an example of.*

I’ll retract that statement the day car drivers start getting proper sentences for killing my friends.

* While I don’t agree that he should have been on the road at all and he was an arrogant shit about it all… The sentence doesn’t fit the crime when you see what happens when you use a car for the same thing

imnotverygood

This now reminds of that fixie rider in London that collided with a pedestrian that stepped into the road without looking. IIRC the pedestrian died and he got done for it as he didn’t have a brake.

Actually he ultimately got done for yelling “Get out of the effing way!!” & not trying to slow down. He didn’t help his case by not having a brake

dissonance

The cyclist in this case didnt stick around

One of the comments says that, in fact, they did until her colleagues came out. Just another sign of a badly written article.

so if it was found he had no brakes or efective brakes would that change everyones opinion of the dentist asking for it by not looking?

It would depend on if they had any chance to react. For that London case it is unclear how much brakes would have actually helped. He should have just claimed sun in eyes.

plus-one

She’s only 48 !!

legometeorology
    Free Member

I wonder if the article has been edited since if was put up(?)

It says near the beginning “The 48-year-old said: “I had just got out of my car. I went to cross the road. I looked both ways.”

ditch_jockey

I don’t think he was ready for that Jelley…

trail_rat
    Free Member

says near the beginning “The 48-year-old said: “I had just got out of my car. I went to cross the road. I looked both ways.”

In which case she was right. The cyclist was doing the speed of light and was infCt traveling at a speed unsuitable for the road.

Or more likely she got out of her car and looked for a car. Didn’t see any and walked out Infront of the cyclist.

trumpton
    Free Member

I feel happy by all of the comments on the newspapers site. Good job she did not open the door on the cyclist. Must have been close to that.

Drac

This now reminds of that fixie rider in London that collided with a pedestrian that stepped into the road without looking. IIRC the pedestrian died and he got done for it as he didn’t have a brake

The only similarity being a pedestrian and a cyclist colliding, after that is pure speculation based on the article.

bigblackshed

That’s my local rag. Typical “journalistic” quality of the Hereford Times, TBH.

I know the road. Coming down that hill is a T junction at the bottom, give way on to a busy road. If she was opposite the shops, the laddy on the bike couldn’t have been doing anywhere near 30mph and stopped at the bottom.

big_scot_nanny

The comments on the article page warm my soul, wonderful stuff.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Read the last comment…. Eye witness account

DezB
    Free Member

The comments on the article page warm my soul, wonderful stuff.

Same here. IS it a sea change?

Last comments by ulifas are worth reading. As a dad who’s son has cycled to school every day for the past 5 years, especially interesting.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Cyclist v dentist…
    A bit of a difficult one. Which is the most hated group??
    Lol

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I think a lot of people have had enough of gammon lies and the journos who stoke it. I reckon people are going to challenge it at every opportunity.

About time it is stamped out. A zero tolerance crackdown I’m all for!

jamesoz

Well it probably just raised their site traffic.
    Assuming the eye witness is legit, it’d be interesting to know who bent the truth, the Dentist or the reporter.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You’re writing that on a click bait website that has suggested that without flannel shirts we are not mountain bikers?

jamesoz

Didn’t read that one, not really interested in flannel shirts.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Splitter!

Poopscoop

If you don’t want to go on the papers site:

ulifas4th February 8:57 pm
    0I witnessed this as I was driving up the hill ( not that she mentioned a car), she did not look either way, she had her hood up and head down. The boy was not speeding it was raining heavily. Both he and I stopped ( my mother was in my car and saw it). The woman ran across the road without looking I was more concerned about the boy, who tried to avoid her, He was ignored by her staff and both he and I went into the hairdressers where I left my contact details. I am more than happy to talk to your reported regarding this.

antigee

a couple of the later comments refer to the cyclist being quite young and injured and shocked….reminds me of a mum at basketball who was badly injured by stepping backwards into the path of a cyclist in a cycle lane after paying for a ticket to park and then turning to head back to put in car – had extensive facial bruising for several weeks and I heard her tell the story several times – not one other parent asked was the cyclist OK

poah
    Free Member

she ain’t no Dr

cynic-al
    Free Member

The comments are a delight.

Hopefully this is the start of a change.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Based on the comments it would appear that people from Hereford are actually reasonable human beings. I am impressed.

moose
    Free Member

The impact appears to have caused her face to start melting…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Speeding cyclist knocked me out!’ is closed to new replies.