Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • Speed awareness course or 3 points. Decision time
  • MartynS

My policeman friend says I was harshly dealt with at 35 in 30 limit.
    You can get done for 33 in a 30 here in Dorset.

I very much doubt it. Have you seem a real case or just heard from someone who was only “doing 33 or something”

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine wasn’t very informative. Best thing was being told the rules about how lampposts affect the speed limit if there aren’t signs (the rules on thus have changed since I took my test) and pointing out to people how little time you save by driving over the limit. I already knew this though having calculated it in the past for the purposes of internet smart-arsery.

midlifecrashes

Mrsmidlife is back from a course this afternoon. I’m not convinced she’s a changed woman.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Everyone at the course is guitly of poor observation: failing to see whatever was just about to cost them a day off and a few £20 notes.

Why not change your name to ‘Peterperfect’ (except for your typo) Unless youv’e done a course as well, in which case your’e excused.

Stumpy’s right though, just cos you’ve passed your test doesn’t mean you can drive.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

You may as well take the course and save the points although as it has been pointed out above insurance companies are catching on and my misses has been asked if I’ve been on a course as I’m named driver on her policy.

A large number of drivers on the course I went to thought that the national limit on single carriageway roads is 50 so they left knowing they could go 10 mph faster legally. I wonder how many of them upped their regular “speed limit plus 10 mph” cruising speed and are driving faster than ever?

One guy even found out his conviction was bogus as the speed limit signs on the stretch of road he was done on were not to regulation- too late he’d already pleaded guilty.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Maybe all courses are not created equal, but the one I did 18 months ago was pretty dull and un informative.

They didn’t really tell me anything about speeding. It was just a brush up on basic Highway Code knowledge.

But, it did seem better than the points…..

The course leaders did think I’d been hard done by. 44 in a 40 limit. But I was in my van which apparently makes them judge you more harshly. The fact I was driving to the Peak for a days riding is irrelevant.

The course was painless though. Three hours. Dull. But I got tea and a biscuit. Learnt nothing new.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

46 in a 40. 50 on the clock.

The idea that “a few miles over the limit is fine” is nonsense. It makes a big difference.

Should be automatic points in my view.

Take the course – it’s a gift.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You all need to watch this, brings it all home…

slowoldman

One said he did the course and wish he’d taken the points.8 hours of his life he won’t get back.

He’ll be the one with the big dick and girlfriend 20 years younger then?

I don’t see what the objection was to wanmankylung’s comment either. It made sense to me.

aracer
    Free Member

I already know that thanks. I don’t think I’ve seen anything I didn’t know from reports people have made about these courses. I’m certainly not claiming to be a perfect driver, but I do regularly read the HC (like molly, for internet smart-aresery) and less than convinced that a SAC would teach me anything given the standard of typical candidates they’re catering to. I’m also in the West Mercia area as mentioned above.

Hence I’m very glad that when I was last caught (for 57 in a 50 which used to be a 70) I took the points. Made no difference to my insurance (I checked quotes with and without), didn’t have to use a day’s holiday. I don’t understand why people ignore the latter point – I rolled over days holiday after that until I was made redundant, and over £100 up as a result of having an extra day’s holiday they paid me for. Have managed to avoid getting caught again in the 5 years since.

Mobile vans point their cameras at the point where vehicles first become visible (hence where the van is first visible to drivers), so the first point you can see it is too late. IME. I’m certain the previous time I was caught, as my speed (85 in a 70!) was what I was doing as I came over the brow and slammed on the brakes the instant the van was visible.

maxtorque

molgrips
    pointing out to people how little time you save by driving over the limit.

Pfft, i did 150mph the other day on a motorway and i got there in under half the time…………… 😉

Xylene
    Free Member

The course I went on was full of people feeling hard done by for being caught:

I just said ” I was driving like a ****, got caught, glad to be here as they had not originally offered me the course”

spacemonkey

CBARTA so here’s my tuppence …

I attended a SAC 2 years ago and didn’t really expect to get much out of it. Turned out to be the opposite as a I learned a fair few safety-oriented changes in behaviour that I recall every time I get in the car. It’s not just about cutting your speed – it’s also about understanding the road/drivers in a way that you don’t learn from an instructor/assessor when starting out.

Cougar

I don’t think I’ve seen anything I didn’t know from reports people have made about these courses. I’m certainly not claiming to be a perfect driver, but I do regularly read the HC (like molly, for internet smart-aresery) and less than convinced that a SAC would teach me anything given the standard of typical candidates they’re catering to.

That was entirely my experience when I took it. I often see reports from people extolling the virtues of the course (there’s one or two on this very thread), and all I can conclude is that those folk either sat a different course to me or were pretty poor drivers to start with.

I’d be hard pressed to think of anything taught that I didn’t already know; about the only thing off the top of my head was a long spiel about the ramifications of having an accident and the sheer number of people affected. That was pretty eye-opening.

Cougar

I learned a fair few safety-oriented changes in behaviour

That’s interesting; such as?

(You posted that whilst I was typing, I wasn’t intentionally referencing you there.)

it’s also about understanding the road/drivers in a way that you don’t learn from an instructor/assessor when starting out.

That’s a good point, thanks to the other attendees I learned quite a bit about some frankly terrifying drivers that I share a road with.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Well I had a tossbag who introduced himself as a Subaru driver, who thought speeding was ‘OK if you were racing someone’

And the 40 year service bus driver who didn’t know basic signs (Give Way fr’instance) and who was stopped during the practical bit because his driving was so terrible.

I’d be hard pressed to think of anything taught that I didn’t already know

Well, you are awesome, aren’t you?

I get a driving course every 2 years from work. I always learn something. If your mind is open, it’s astonishing what might go in.

dudeofdoom

I’m with Cougar on his one…..

Mine was pretty boring but TBH better than points..thing is you never know when your gonna accumulate some more so the chance to to not have any…

Just remember its much safer if your looking at the speedo all the time in a constant worry that you may be going 1-3 mph over the limit 🙂

Does make you wonder why speedos aren’t put in better places tbh.

allthegear
    Free Member

who was stopped during the practical bit because his driving was so terrible

since when did speend awareness courses include a practical section?

Rachel

Cougar

Well, you are awesome, aren’t you?

I get a driving course every 2 years from work. I always learn something. If your mind is open, it’s astonishing what might go in.

Nothing to do with my awesomeness, simply that the content of the course didn’t teach me anything I didn’t already know. Is that so difficult to believe? There also wasn’t a “practical bit” in the one I did, they stopped doing that I believe. Your work’s driving course is a non-sequitur; it’s a different course so irrelevant, if I sat a different course I might well have learned something too.

Eg, I probably wouldn’t learn anything on a basic numeracy course, but probably learn quite a lot if I went on an A-level maths course. That doesn’t make me Stephen Hawking, it just means that I’ve taken some time to learn how to count.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just remember its much safer if your looking at the speedo all the time in a constant worry that you may be going 1-3 mph over the limit

You know, if you are a really good driver, you can control your speed without needing to do this 🙂

Cougar

… which is why no-one is ever prosecuted for doing 31mph. Given that speedos’ tolerances can only ever overread (legally), to secure a prosecution your dial would have to be reading somewhere between 35 and 40mph at a bare minimum. That’s not a “not looking at my speedo constantly” margin of error, it’s driving without due care. Doubly so now with the proliferation of cruise control.

You’re right, of course. I can usually sit the car somewhere comfortably around 30mph or 40mph without looking at the speedo, I do it as an exercise sometimes to see how close I can get. It’s quite a handy game for learning what different speeds feel like.

Flaperon

My insurance company asked me if I have attended a speed awareness course last time I renewed, so maybe they are catching onto to this?

Not that I’m one to condone fibbing to insurance companies but how would they find out… 😉

Flaperon

… which is why no-one is ever prosecuted for doing 31mph. Given that speedos’ tolerances can only ever overread (legally

You’d be surprised, the digital readout of speed in my Insignia matches the GPS measurement from my Garmin Edge exactly.

iffoverload
    Free Member

re: 35 in a 30 zone

The point of these courses is to point out and/or remind people that just a few mph over the limit in pedestrain/urban areas makes a HUGE difference to the injuries sustained in the event of an accident and also increases the likelihood of it happening

like a kid running out in front of you. (they do that kind of thing sometimes.)

or an novice/wobbly/elderly/young/stupid cyclist in poor visibility conditions without good hi-viz in a vunerable position … etc etc…

statistics show that the number of serious injuries have reduced quite significantly since the introduction of this scheme, this is much more useful than giving people points or fines and is also cheaper thant cleaning up the cost of accidents. a sensible use of revenue.

If you did not understand at least this from attending one of these courses the instructors failed or you should not have a licence.

If you do understand this and still use inappropriate speed I hope you have an enforced break from driving before something nasty happens.

Advanced driving tuition is not what you should expect from a SAC, it is to remind you why there are speed limits and to help you avoid killing/maiming somebody in the case of an accident.

that is all.

and no, speeding in urban areas does nothing to reduce your journey time.

hora
    Free Member

Difficult one – ‘have you been caught speeding’

Yes.

‘have you any speeding convictions’

No.

Is there an open/accessible database anywhere where outside parties can check the data?

aracer
    Free Member

I already knew this, so what would I have gained from the course?

iffoverload
    Free Member

aracer

I already knew this, so what would I have gained from the course?

iffoverload

The point of these courses is to point out and/or remind people…

….Advanced driving tuition is not what you should expect from a SAC…

😉

mrchrispy

39 in a 40, I clearly thought it was 40 as its was a dual carrageway through the middle of an post industrial wasteland – near the manchester velodrome.

Course boring as hell but learnt a few thing and my driving is all the better for it. take the course, you might learn something and you may avoid killing someone. cant really complain about that.

CheesybeanZ

I got caught on a mobile camera doing 64 about 200m into a 50 zone – in my van . I was very thankful for the option of taking the course . It was worth it just to hear some of the whiny excuses people came up with .

aracer
    Free Member

At a real cost of >£100 more than taking the points, you’re going to have to do better than “might” and “may”.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

My course a few years ago (37 just after a 30 sign, but by a school – and really stupid of me) was good. Had some time with an advanced instructor, some good technical advice. Interesting how many people thought the NSL was 50mph… Not a waste of time at all. And of course if you take 3, then get another 3 points, that will cost you.

Cougar

Interesting how many people thought the NSL was 50mph…

I don’t think anyone on my course had any real confident idea what the speed limits were beyond “I think…” and the ones who did have half a clue still had no idea what, say, the actual difference between a single- and a dual-carriageway was.

statistics show that the number of serious injuries have reduced quite significantly since the introduction of this scheme

I don’t doubt that for a moment. What it boils down to is this: the SAC is a basic course, but some people are so shockingly incompetent that a basic course is exactly what’s required. And I’m not saying that for “I R ORSUM” reasons, rather that some of the things coming out of the other attendees’ mouths were simply unbelievable.

molgrips
    Free Member

At a real cost of >£100 more than taking the points, you’re going to have to do better than “might” and “may”.

I don’t think so. “Might” is a lot better than “won’t” imo.

aracer
    Free Member

Going on a SAC might result in you meeting the woman of your dreams and living happily ever after. Going on a SAC might prevent you getting run down by an idiot driver on your usual cycle commute to work.

vermillion
    Free Member

ffoverload – Member

The point of these courses is to point out and/or remind people that just a few mph over the limit in pedestrain/urban areas makes a HUGE difference to the injuries sustained in the event of an accident and also increases the likelihood of it happening

If that’s the case, I shouldn’t be going on the course.
    I was caught in an rural area where I hardly see any pedestrians.
    The road I was speeding on is the A591 travelling west to the Lake district past the village of Ings. It’s a large open road and where 40mph does feel slow.
    That’s no excuse mind, I travel to the lakes a lot and was aware of the speed limit in this area but for some unknown reason, I was caught out on this particular day, maybe it was because I was eager to get riding as my time was limited.

I’m hoping this course can explain why, since a 20mph speed limit was enforced on the busy road on which I live, that sees the pedestrian traffic of four different schools, has there never been a speed camera to catch out some of the drivers that fly down the street at twice that speed. Even the sign that lit up with either a smiley or sad face, depending on your speed was taken down after only a couple of months
    I think I will be disappointed though, as someone has already pointed out on this thread, there’s no room for discussion. So I might as well do my ‘whinging’ on here. 🙂 🙁

martinhutch

They don’t enforce 20mph limits. Worth complaining to your local police if you think people are well over 30 though.

The Ings one covers a large open road going through a village with a few busy junctions, hotel and petrol station. You do get pedestrians, farm traffic and bikes crossing at that point. The limit is correct there, but as you say, it doesn’t feel it because of the road architecture.

There are so many people blatting up that road into the Lakes that consideration should be given to changing the layout to actively slow folk down. Personally I’d stick a 50 in force at Staveley to start the process. I’d hazard a guess that that camera makes a lot of money.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Speed awareness course or 3 points. Decision time’ is closed to new replies.