Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Specialized FSR Stumpjumper – mech hanger problems
  • ross980
    Free Member

After a coming together with a rock in Coed y Brenin a couple of rides ago I sheared the mech hanger, bent the wheel, destroyed the mech etc etc etc. Unfortunately part of the swing arm containing of the mech hanger bolt holes near the drop out was also bent and has now sheared off. The up shot it that now the mech hanger is only held on by one (very loose) bolt and the QR skewer.

I only discovered this tonight whilst loading the bike into the car and have (hopefully) bodged a temporary repair. However I'm looking at a more permanent solution. These include a: getting the mech hanger permanently welded to the frame or b: bonding the mech hanger to the frame with a suitable adhesive (if possible)

Anyone had any similar mech hanger issue or any have any other suggestions?

I appreciate that the above kind of defies the whole point of having a replaceable mechhanger but I'll take the risk. I normally transport the bike with the wheels removed but daren't remove the wheels as any small knock causes the hanger too fall off (the bolt hole in the frame are already elongated and basically knackered). The bike itself is a 2005 model but the frame is just about the only thing left that is original. There's always the option of sourcing a new swing arm but I'm reluctant to spend more money on an ageing frame as ultimately I want to replace it with an Orange 5.

james
    Free Member

Are you the first owner? If so, I'd think the lifetime frame warranty might cover it, though its caused by a crash, the mech hanger that is supposed to break away presumably hasn't done so all too easily

Its worth taking it into the shop you bought it from (if you did buy it new)

PJM1974
    Free Member

If it's the same mech hanger fitting as the 2004 Enduro (2 2mm bolts) then it's a weak point. They can't redesign the rear end of that bike, but you may get a discount on a new seatstay.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    AlasdairMc

I've got the same on my 2004 Enduro – it's not a problem when the wheel is on as the QR holds it at tension. You'll just get quite adept at replacing the hanger whenever you take the wheel off.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Specialized FSR Stumpjumper – mech hanger problems’ is closed to new replies.