Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Spec me an n+1 niche machine
  • Spin
    Free Member

I have a hankering for something a bit funky/niche so hit me with suggestions.

I’d like:

• Fully rigid.
    • Possibly fixed or SS but not entirely wedded to that.
    • Fun and capable off road but not a chore on road.
    • Space for some fat(ish) rubber.
    • Some sort of exotic bars maybe.
    • Light(ish)
    • Not stupid expensive.

What you got? 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

straight or curly bars?

curly

singular swift, SS, Big rubber, silly bars

PXL_20240329_131156273

scotroutes

Something like a Surly Grappler?

rOcKeTdOg

“surly grappler”

ignore the steerer, it was a test bike, unfortunately the wrong size

grap

Surly Ghost Grappler Review

james-rennie

Your need sounds Stooge-ish

frankconway

Dependant on your definition of ‘stupid expensive’ an Indy Fab deluxe in either steel or Ti; fully rigid, SS, Bushnell ebb; a zillion paint options.

rOcKeTdOg
    Kramer
    Free Member

Your need sounds Stooge-ish

That’s what I thought too.

Spin
    Free Member

Some interesting suggestions. Looking at the Grappler made me remember my old steel 26″ frame. I could probably achieve something similar with that.

stanley

Mason ISO?

slowol

Sour Bikes Bad Granny (if you can find one as they seem to have sol out).

munrobiker
    Free Member

Sour Pasta Party could also be built up to meet the requirements you’ve listed. Almost exactly, actually.

Marcels Sour Pasta Party

bikesandboots

Kona Unit, or Unit X

robertajobb

https://shandcycles.com/shop/bikes/bahookie-single/

Shand Bahookie ?

available as a SS, gears.

Sus front fork or rigid front fork.

Flat bars or drop bars.

And they can spec pretty much anything else too if you want a different part etc like bars, seat post, tyres etc. Photo below is just 1 option

Can go uber left field with a belt drive – either belt drive single speed or belt drive (or chain drive) Rohloff gear hub.Screenshot_20240423_224251_Samsung Internet

kimbers

might become even more niche

Kona Ouroboros Review: Past Meets Present

my23_ouroboros_supreme_angle-768x659

timmycee
    Free Member

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4nxpZGoQr5/?igsh=MXN0cTRjZWhwMzMxbQ==

Another vote for Sour. My rigid Crumble is an absolute (eye rattling) hoot!

tazzymtb

the correct answer is stooge, all other answers should also be stooge. Failing that maybe consider a stooge

have a look at reviews from radavist and bikepacking.com etc..  for the sort of capabilities and builds and then find some of Jeff kendallweed videos an you tube on how gnarr you can go on them

didnthurt

Dirt tracker it is then…….

Dirt Tracker

jfab

I like my Brother Cycles Big Bro for the same niche-filling you want/as a Stooge/Shand alternative. Currently swapped over from the setup below to 29×2.4″ fast-rolling Rekon Race tyres instead of the chunky boi 27.5×2.8″ shown.

Also I assume Salsa probably do something similar if you didn’t want Steel, or an On-One Whippet type of thing but you’d need to run a tensioner to Single Speed it.

BB2

tuboflard

IMG_1997Something like this Singular Rooster? 2.8” tyres on a 29+ frame. Super fun to ride.

ampthill

Steel Broken Road from Sonder

Spendy option

Beacon by Windover Bikes

https://www.windoverbikes.co.uk/beacon

Custom

Pamira by Stanforth

https://www.stanforthbikes.co.uk/pamira-geometry

Pragmatic compromise

Cotic Cascade with flat bars

Daffy

Nothing by Singular, Surly or Stooge could be considered light even if it were a Singlespeed rigid.

I know, I’ve owned all of them.

Daffy

Salsa Timberjack in either Aluminium or Titanium as budget/whim takes you.

Normal BB, but with alternator dropouts so you can SS it.  Can be ran with a 100mm rigid or upto a 150mm fork.  Light, nimble (shortish wheelbase for its size) cheap (in aluminium) and fun.  Allegedly.

didnthurt
    swan0mighty
    Free Member

My Ti sonder broken in the classifieds ticks all your boxes if you are looking for an XL bike

sharkattack

Wethepeople Avenger. Like a Transition Klunker with bigger wheels and proper brakes.

frankconway

Hucking fell – that Trek ^^^ is really ugly.

timber

Been doing a similar search since dithering over a Stooge in a classifieds somewhere.
    After going in circles, I think the answer is a Stooge. Or maybe a second hand Trek to keep the budget in check. Brother bikes look nice.

ajantom

@timber yeah the answer is Stooge, or maybe Surly.

I’ve got both (MK4 and a Krampus ) and they’re both ace.

tomunderhill
    Free Member

Maybe not the most niche or exotic thing out there but I’ve just gone for a Ritchey Outback Frame and Fork.  You can go up to 50cc for 700c and 2.0 for 650.  It’s nice, well made, steel, gets good reviews.  I’ve gone for a bar end shifter, some 1990s drop bar levers, mechanical discs, Thomson post and stem I had lying around.  It’s a frankeinstein’s monster to most but a coherence in the eye of the beholder to me.  Almost built

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Canyon Dude with Jumbo Jims, or something similar?

That Decathlon Touring 920, isn’t it a slimmed down version of the model from a few years back, that came with front and rear panniers? Not bad weight/spec considering the dynamo.

jameso

A Jones or a Stooge. The Jones geometry and truss fork is something that made me see rigid bikes quite differently. Stooge won’t be light but you probably won’t care.

If you want a rigid bike then I wouldn’t bother with rigid bikes that use suspension-corrected fork lengths, personally. Rigid bike geometry can (should?) be different.

• Possibly fixed or SS but not entirely wedded to that.
    • Fun and capable off road but not a chore on road.

ime gearing that works off-road will be a chore on road, but my old Jones 29er is an addictive ride on the lanes as well as off-road. Prefer gears for the longer rides that go on and off-road. SS for local rides. The H-bars / bar shape is a big part of how well it works to have that cross-over appeal.

MadBillMcMad

A ti (possibly) fat bike, carbon fork, but with 3″ tyres on nextie carbon rims, Jones carbon bars.

So travers with a travers prong.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.