• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by robd.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Spec. Enduro Evo vs NS Soda Air vs Scott Voltage FR
  • scribbler
    Free Member

Looking for a bike to hammer down black trails (BPW/BlackMountain/Tavistock etc.) after finding my 130mm ’29er with 160mm up front, whilst it can cope & gets me back up in a flash, just isn’t helpful on the tech/big drop stuff.
    So I’m after a long-travel lightweight 650b bruiser (if there is such a thing) which could be ridden without wallowing up hill. Although this new bike would be mainly an uplift toy, it needs to be able to make it back up gentler stuff near home.
    Shortlist is these 3, prices for 2015 models are £1700 Enduro Evo, £1980 Soda Air & £2250 Voltage 710
    Would really appreciate peoples views having ridden any of the above, or suggestions in that prce range. Erring towards the Evo, simply on price and longer geometry.
    Help!

gonzy
    Free Member

also look at the YT Capra (if you can get hold of one) and the Giant Reign

scribbler
    Free Member

Ta Gonzy but am looking for more travel (180mm+) to build confidence/rescue poor landings on bigger drops & gaps…

BearBack
    Free Member

Factor in a dropper post for the voltage fr. I run a 400mm fixed post and can’t quite get full pedalling leg extension and can’t drop the post far quite enough for piece of mind on super steep terrain.
    With a dropper and 32/11-42 the bike will go down anything and back up again!

chakaping
    Free Member

I think there’s a lot to be said for a 180mm bike that pedals uphill – I’ve been riding one myself a lot lately, even on more “enduro” style rides.

Can’t comment on any of those options I’m afraid, but I went for a secondhand late-model Orange Patriot and I’m loving it.

Keeps my faithful 26in Crossmax SXs in service as well, which is nice.

robd

Been riding the enduro evo expert (the ohlins one) for a month now coming from a 160mm 2011 enduro. Not too bad to pedal about for a 180mm travel bike, i have done a 52k ride and regularly do 30-35k rides round my local trails here in the fod. Rides downhill better than you will as you would expect. I went for a large rather than medium for a bit of extra reach. Great bike for UK downhill, would suit a nice pair of 200mm forks as well if you are leaning more to the lift assisted riding.

deviant
    Free Member

Robd, is that the one with dual crown Boxxers?….been eyeing up a DH bike as my next machine but keep being drawn to the 180mm Ohlins equipped Spesh Enduro instead, might make more sense for UK type downhill courses….what are the angles? Is it DH slack or have they just whacked some big forks on a bike with trail geometry?

_tom_
    Free Member

I have a Voltage FR10 and love it on the downs, not so much up hill. It’s just too short, really shit position for pedalling and easy to wheelie. Maybe the longer version would be ok though. And the seat tube is a bit small, can’t get full extension! This is why I’m considering swapping mine for something more pedally but have a feeling I’ll miss the voltage as soon as it points downhill.

robd

deviant, yea the one with boxxers lowered to 180mm, 64.5 ha (degree and a half slacker than the non evo put the boxxers to 200m and you would be pushing 63 degree ha which is demo slack) 1220mm wheelbase 76.8 degree seat angle which actually makes it a viable trail bike, but then slam the seat and away you go. Ohlins is incredible and way beyond anything I have ridden from rockshox or fox air or coil. I love it but then I have been riding 160mm trail bikes for the last 10 years so it is like having a dh bike to me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Spec. Enduro Evo vs NS Soda Air vs Scott Voltage FR’ is closed to new replies.