Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • SPAM WINTER CHALLENGE
  • fily5bellies
    Free Member

Have you thought about your new year plans yet – is taking on the challenge of Salisbury Plain on a Mountain Bike part of your new year celebrations?!

On Sunday 3rd January 2010 you are invited to join approximately 1000 other riders at the SpamBiking Winter Challenge in Wiltshire. The event offers 50km, 35km or 25km rides starting at 10am, 10.15am and 10.30am respectively from Erlestoke near Devizes and covers good all weather trails across one of the biggest army training grounds in the UK including the deserted village of Imber usually closed to the public.

See the photos in Singletrack News!!

ENTER ONLINE NOW or see http://www.spambiking.co.uk for more details.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Hey, I assume you can enter on the day?

I'm in for 50km, and so is The Present Mrs Militant

fily5bellies
    Free Member

Yup, entry on the day is OK but a little more expensive, although still offering astounding value for money when compared to other mountain bike events in the south of England in early January.

Kiril
    Free Member

Make sure you've got your magic tyres fitted! I was out in the area today and it was incredibly muddy (no surprise) but there were also sections of sheet ice and the roots through the wood were very treacherous!

Enjoy!

mjcharl
    Free Member

I pre rode the course last week in the snow and it was fine. Mud, roots and ice weren't a problem.

I know the muddy bits that Kiril mentioned but the course has been well put together and misses out any really muddy bits.

I've ridden this event for the last few year's and have always had a good time. I expect there will be a good turnout this year and that it will be another great day out. 50km for me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MilitantGraham – Member
    I'm in for 50km, and so is The Present Mrs Militant

Are you assuming she may no longer be "The Present Mrs Militant" after 50km of the Plain? 😉

Best of luck to all the Spammers! Can't make it this year again, but wish you all the best!

fily5bellies
    Free Member

Cheers, Flashart. We'll be aranging the course to suit the conditions but it is the UK in winter so we can't expect to be kicking up dust! Wetter conditions will mean more tarmac, cold and frosty will allow more use of the singletrack. It is the SPAM winter CHALLENGE, so there will be some sections that require some MTB skills to ride. Easy, innit?

Clink

tarmac

!

I was about to enter this, but 'tarmac' puts me off. How much road is there likely to be on the longer course??

fily5bellies
    Free Member

Don't let it put you off, Clink. It's the roads on the top end of the range, the ones that go past the old tanks in the pictures and the Army's training areas, so you're not out with the traffic. If it's wet and muddy, you'll be glad of that to get you round before it's dark!What's more, if you go off the road there you may get blown up by old bombs and stuff. As I said, if it's wetter there will be a bit more, say 30 or 40% of the route. If it freezes again, there will be a bit less. Enter and enjoy!

smiffy

Hi Five Bellies; keep us posted on the snow sitch if you can, cheers.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Weather looks like -5 as per Metcheck so better get those extra layers on . I cant wait, first time for me 35k so fingers crossed. 😯

oxym0r0n

How suitable is the course for an SS or will I be a bit slow due to the tarmac sections?

Thanks

Gilles

I will say a SS will be good as the gear usually get clogged by frozen mud or just even wet mud. The road bit could be a bit of a drag but by that time nobody will be able to be in high gear so it will be a shared experience.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Hi Gilles, take it your doing it?

Gilles

Yes i do! See you on Sunday! (not on a SS, I still got my dignity)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘SPAM WINTER CHALLENGE’ is closed to new replies.