Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 165 total)
  • SpaceX starship high altitude test
  • richmars

Planned on having 2 on the way down, but didn’t look to be running right.

mashr

richmars

I think it lost 2 on the way up, and only 2 re-lit on the way down

Deliberately switched off and moved to the side I believe

mashr

Premier Icon
    richmars

Planned on having 2 on the way down, but didn’t look to be running right

Got to be something like that. To the uneducated (me) it just looks like they hit the brakes too late, but that would be far too simple an error for the brains involved in this stuff!

tenfoot

I’ve had a few landings like that playing Elite Dangerous.

That was amazing to watch. Even the first flip and the way the ship descended in a stable manner before they rotated it again was incredible.

jonnyboi

There was bigger all pressure in that for the landing. Amazing performance overall though

franksinatra

Great tele. A take off, flight, controlled descent the muckle big explosion!

pondo

From the Apollo stuff I’ve read, rockets are not so easy to turn on and off or throttle – you wonder how it would have gone if all three fired up on request.

Still cool! 🙂

jonnyboi

I believe that those raptor engines are actually designed to shut down and refire repeatedly. It’s basically methane & oxygen lit by a spark plug

nuke

Assumed 1 engine on landing was as planned given a falcon 9 can only land on 1 engine albeit 3 can restart

Northwind

Those poor kerbals 🙁

Good viewing though. Lots of succesful operations, the rotations were cool, it damn nearly makes it down and then, a satisfying explosion to close. Pretty ideal.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

It’s **** all compared to UK Space Command.

The “spkunk works” is working on a project featuring a repurposed Sinclair C5.

2022 son you better believe……….

The best we can do

mashr

Fuel header tank pressure was low, that’d do it when you’re needing fuel for your brakes

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have known about it, if it hadn’t been for this thread; STW delivers again!
    It is properly impressive stuff……however…….the landings I’ve seen always look a little fishy, like cameras turning off at JUST the right second, in this case, the camera position seemed to switch exactly at the moment it exploded, so it just looked badly edited, then the comment about “Great work everybody”. I’m not one for conspiracy theories at all, it just looked a little odd, that’s all.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

.the landings I’ve seen always look a little fishy, like cameras turning off at JUST the right second, in this case, the camera position seemed to switch exactly at the moment it exploded, so it just looked badly edited, then the comment about “Great work everybody”. I’m not one for conspiracy theories at all, it just looked a little odd, that’s all.

I think you’re talking about the landings on the drone ships. That’s because just as the boosters land they make the drone ship move which breaks the microwave link between the drone ship cameras and the other manned vessel nearby. They’ve since improved the robustness of this link so that the video link is no longer broken and you can see the actual landing. All the touch downs they have made on land you can see the actual moment of landing.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Probably more to do with editing out something they don’t want people seeing. Bear in mind there could be a lot of proprietary stuff in testing. Either that it’s a glitch from a rocket blowing up right next to it.

Drac

Someone needs to play some more Thrust.

jimmy

Just watched. Indeed great telly. Skip to 25mins for the action.

mashr

however…….the landings I’ve seen always look a little fishy, like cameras turning off at JUST the right second,

You could go to Florida and watch it if in doubt (not sure of this one was Florida admittedly, probs want to check that in advance)

franksinatra

It was in Nevada

nickc

Musk is one of our greatest living humans

no, he’s a terrible ****

slowoldman

It was in Nevada Texas

Northwind

Drac

Someone needs to play some more Thrust.

God, don’t suggest that to Musk, if he decides a project’s too hard he’ll just blow up a power plant then fly off into space.

retrorick

Delta 4 launch was pretty impressive 🚀

nuke

Revisiting this as SN9 is up for test launch for today although suggestions already that now postponed to Friday?

oliverracing

Yeah, sounds like still waiting for approval from FAA

richmars

Looks like tonight.

retrorick

I’m looking forward to this launch.

richmars

Live stream from SpaceX, so should be on

retrorick

NASA spaceflight.com stream for me, then I’ll look at the other feeds later.

simondbarnes

Hasn’t blown up yet!

retrorick

Nearly!

richmars

Bang

simondbarnes

Boom

fossy

Oof ! Fire the boosters earlier…..

franksinatra

Awesome stuff. Brilliant flight, massive explosion. Perfect

Amazed they landed so close to the second rocket, that send a risk not worth taking.

Incredible camera shot in the last few seconds of flight

Also love the Spacex commentator. “Successful flight, need to work on the landing a little bit!”

Northwind

franksinatra

Amazed they landed so close to the second rocket, that send a risk not worth taking.

Spacex showmanship innit.

So what happened there, only one booster relit? Seemed to go pretty well otherwise

crazy-legs

It was to warn SN10 what would happen if it misbehaved.
    Oi, rocket. See what happened to your mate there? Yeah, well no **** around when you come into land, OK?!

nuke

Oh well, they’ll get there… Send up sn10 😬

2nd raptor engine failed to relight correctly if i heard right

jairaj

Ah I got caught off guard after all the cancelled launches last week I forgot about this!

That was a great watch! Big boom at the end!

Yep looks like the second engine didn’t fire up fully, you can see the 2nd engine burping a few times trying to light up properly and the single engine didn’t have the power to fully straighten up and land.

I’m guessing SN10 must be pretty much ready to go if it’s sitting so close to the launch pad. I wonder how quickly they will try to launch that?

Exciting times, makes me feel like a kid again and takes me back to when the shuttle was launching. Appeared like interest in space was higher then and we’ve had a 15/20 year lull. Great to see so many space programs happening at the same time!

richmars

SpaceX commentator said SN10 would launch ‘this month’. But that was before SN9 ‘landed’.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 165 total)

The topic ‘SpaceX starship high altitude test’ is closed to new replies.