Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Soul – HTII – 2×10 advice
  • soobalias
    Free Member

putting a 2×10 (26/38) chainset on a cotic soul, bb 73mm

one spacer on the bottom bracket, or two?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

1 driveside

soobalias
    Free Member

yeah, thats how i started, but the chainrings are alarmingly close to the chainstay IMO

Vortexracing

This don’t sound good as I have just ordered a Race Face 28/40 double for my Soul. 😥

soobalias
    Free Member

im not gonna cry if it needs another 2.5mm on the chainline.

wondered if it had been covered on here, but cant see much with search….. soul is a bit of a common term…. i will drop cotic an email tomorrow and see what they reckon.

might be that im just used to more clearance, but i figure it was designed around 22/32/40something and maybe 38 as a middle ring is pushing it a bit?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

1×10 on a 34…?

shortcut

If you stik 2 spacers in with a 73mm bb shell you will break something – eventually! That is too wide.

soobalias
    Free Member

hmmm, didnt think of it that way

bumped for the dayshift.

PaulD
    Free Member

Same problem as Santa Cruz had with the Superlight some years ago.
    You may be limited to a 36 or even 34 to get frame clearance on the chainstay.

If you move the rings outboard to clear the frame, the chainline will be poor and cause premature wear and possible chainsuck when dropping to granny/smaller ring.

Sorry to be negative, but it is often a compromise to get things to work.

PaulD

soobalias
    Free Member

so how much clearance is enough clearance?

i realise now, i shoulda taken a picutre

johnny

I’m running 26-38 on my soul, it’s the XT 2×10 crank, fits fine, no problemas with clearance. TBH i just bunged it on and it spins fine, never checked clearance! (I have one spacer, BTW)

smell_it
    Free Member

Got a 26 38 x7 crank on my soul, no worries here.

soobalias
    Free Member

sounding positive.

ive dropped cotic a line to see what the max size they recommend is. I will post it up here if i get an answer before i leave for the day

Arcticdan
    Free Member

I’m running an XTR 40t with one spacer on my Soul. Frame clearence isn’t huge but 2 spacers would limit the range for the outer ring probably down to the bottom 4 sprockets.

If you keep chain & rings in good shape then you shouldn’t have an issue.

soobalias
    Free Member

The chainstays on the current Soul are not compatible with Shimano double XC MTB chainsets. Sram double chainsets with 50mm chainline do work though.

With a standard 50mm chainline triple chainset the largest middle ring you can use is 36t. There’s no minimum clearance specified between the chainstay and rings as long as they don’t touch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Soul – HTII – 2×10 advice’ is closed to new replies.