Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sorry: Recommend me a tyre like the Nobby Nic
  • legolam
    Free Member

Apologies for the boring tyre question.

My 26×2.25 Nobby Nic Double Defence Pacestar tyres have finally gone bald and are now making me even more of a danger to myself than usual. They’ve suited me well, other than the fact that they were expensive to begin with, and are so tight on my rims (oo-er) that I can’t get them on or off without the help of a burly man. Luckily, I’ve had no punctures with them!

I’m thinking about switching tyres but need some advice as to which tyre suits my mincing around Glentress/Hamsterley, and mincing around the moors of Northumberland/North Yorks/County Durham? I don’t do any high speed stuff, or get my wheels off the ground at any point. I tend not to go out in heavy mud but am planning on running these tyres as an all year, all terrain combination so they need to have the holy grail of low rolling resistance but enough grip to give me confidence to actually ride downhill rather than walking it.

Should I just shell out for NN’s again (and maybe go for the 2.1 in the hope that my feeble hands can get them on and off), or switch to another brand (?Maxxis Advantage).

Thanks in advance
    Hannah

slimjim78
    Free Member

mboy
    Free Member

Like a Nobby Nic?

Or better than a Nobby Nic?

2.2″ Rubber Queens in Black Chilli Flavour will blow Nobby Nic’s into the weeds in every respect except for being very slightly slower rolling and a tiny bit heavier.

legolam
    Free Member

Like a nobby nic! I like that they are pretty fast rolling and wouldn’t like to lose that – I’m epically slow downhill but I like to think I can make a little of it back uphill.

mboy
    Free Member

I’m epically slow downhill

Nobby Nic’s aren’t especially grippy. A Grippier tyre, such as a Rubber Queen, will give you a lot more confidence to go faster downhill!

Just a thought like… 😉

legolam
    Free Member

Fair point!

muggomagic

Having made the switch from a pacestar snakeskin NN to a 2.2 black chili Rubber Queen. I’d say the RQ is a far better tyre. I didn’t notice any difference in rolling resistance but the grip is far better on them.

legolam
    Free Member

Which maxxis tyre is most like the Nic?

dickie
    Free Member
    P20

Hannah, you’re not epically slow dh. Tasha has the Maxxis Advantage and wouldn’t recommend them for mud, brilliant in the dry, but she’s not keen in mud. She switches to bonty mud x for the winter. I still like my NN. Think mine are snakeskins rather than DD, ran tubeless they fit no problems. It may need a change in rim tape

neninja
    Free Member

Rubber Queen 2.2 BC on the front with a Nobby Nic or Maxxis Advantage on the back works well. 2.2 RQ is a fair bit bigger than a 2.25 Nobby Nic.

ddmonkey

Maxxis Ardent 2.4 – FANTASTIC TYRE!!! With EXO casing, good grip, fast rolling, big volume, not too heavy, good puncture resistance. Not amazing in the mud but not too bad. Might be a bit OTT though.

chiefgrooveguru

Rubber Queen on the front, X-King on the rear will roll as fast (or faster) than NN F&R but brake better and corner harder. Get the Protection casing X-King and I’d go for a 2.4 (halfway between NN 2.25 and 2.4 in size – and similar size to RQ 2.2) unless you’re particularly light. Black chili for both!

chakaping
    Free Member

Check out the Conti Mountain King 2.

Very pleased with mine, very fast rolling and grippy. Light too.

Highly recommended.

(2.2 Protection model)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sorry: Recommend me a tyre like the Nobby Nic’ is closed to new replies.