• This topic has 61 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by juan.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Can of worm, would you:
  • juan
    Free Member

Lend your mutlitool, pump to someone? I am sure you all will say yes, but let me give you more details. With the SO we’re going to a local ski resort that does uplift. And on a very regular basis, I got stop by people with a 5-6 grand bike and probably 300€ worth of gear who ask if they can use my pump, or my mutli tool because they don’t carry one. I suspect that when you can spend that much on bike and gear, surely you can spend a little more on a pump a multitool and a spare tube?
    I don’t mind helping people on a general basis, but that I think is pushing it a bit, so what is the STW take on that???

RealMan
    Free Member

Rented bikes? Just cause you’re rich doesn’t mean you’re an experienced rider/not stupid.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Get over yourself. 🙄

kevj
    Free Member

Traveling (very) light?
    We’ve done this at GT were there are seven of us and no need to carry seven pumps, seven multi tools etc.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Who cares?

convert

So where is the tipping point for you for getting help in terms of value of bike? Carrera-Yes, Boardman No? Nichmongers to provide for themselves (actually that does sound reasonable!).

Naaa – I help anyone and everyone me- what comes around goes around, karma, just being British etc etc

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Normally yes, but after the last few threads with people laughing at us saps who carry everything round with us I’m less inclined.

We have all forgotten stuff, if your out with nothing then that’s just unprepared. If you are you and have forgotten just make sure you sit down and empty your entire bad out so everyone knows you not just planning to travel light and freeload.

We’ve done this at GT were there are seven of us and no need to carry seven pumps, seven multi tools etc.

And it’s never the guy at the back who has a pump…..

nwill1
    Free Member

I’d help anyone on the trails and hope others would help me.

At Llandelga on Sunday my mate taco’d his front wheel, I carry tubes, Allen keys, chain link remover etc even a spare tyre but not a spoke key (yes they’re cheap & light but don’t have one as lbs sort my wheels) fortunately one guy lent us his allowing us to loosen the spokes and another guy helped to straighten it out as much as possible allowing my mate to stumble back down the fire road. Without the support of others it would have been a long walk back to the centre.

Fair enough if I was passing on a folding tyre worth £30-£40 I’d probably agree someone replace it/pay for it at a later date but being stranded is a pain not to mention wrecking a days ridding.

On that note big thank-you if it was you who helped 🙂

xherbivorex
    Free Member

what nick said.

boxfish
    Free Member

I don’t mind helping people on a general basis

Except when their bike is better than yours?

boxelder

wormS
    ….or it doesn’t really work.

maccruiskeen

I suspect that when you can spend that much on bike and gear, surely you can spend a little more on a pump a multitool and a spare tube?

they are rich but so terribly terribly lonely, begging for inner tubes is really a desperate bid for friendship.

Thats how its starts. How it ends though is a lot like Kathy Bates in ‘Misery’

donsimon
    Free Member

Hmmmm, interesting question….

breadcrumb

If I see someone that looks like they might need a hand I’ll usually ask if theyre ok. However if I see someone with nothing except a bike I generally won’t offer. If they can’t be bothered to carry anything then I don’t see those that do should support them..

carlosg
    Free Member

I always carry all the bits I’ll need on a ride and will help anyone who needs it, my mates know I carry everything and the kitchen sink so quite often leave things in the car or at home. I can see where you’re coming from though , we live very close to Leeds/Bradford airport and a neighbour has mares who leave their 50K+ cars on our street rather than pay for secure parking at the airport making parking difficult for the peoplethat live here. Over the silverstone weekend there were 2 M5’s a top of the range Q7 and a couple of works BMW ones (not mini’s !! ).

boxelder

on our street

Is it not a public road?

Similar issue with us at times, but they have every right to park.

mrmo
    Free Member

I always thought MTB was about self sufficiency, you know the people complaining when they introduced pits into racing?

Sorry you got yourself into a situation get yourself out*. How else do you learn but from mistakes.

*does not apply if you have injured broken yourself

donsimon
    Free Member

… Got it now… Perhaps they can afford expensive bikes because they don’t squander money on insignificant things like pumps and tools and food etc… Someone else will always step in with assistance, always.

Drac

I agree in a sense but I’d not help the poor on their on-ones, if you can’t afford an expensive bike then I don’t see why I should help you. Peasants.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, I always ask folk if they’re ok. Have stopped the car to help several times too, leant a chain tool to some bloke walking, and have leant a track pump to people who’ve punctured. Takes me 10 seconds and saves them struggling with a mini pump.

Don’t really get the ‘if you don’t carry it I won’t lend it to you’ attitude 😕

sparkyrhino

Where can i buy a can of worms,what do they do?

druidh
    Free Member

sparkyrhino – I’d lend you one, but you’d have to own the right sort of can opener.

grum
    Free Member

I would generally help but I do get the point about people that just expect someone else will sort them out so CBA carrying anything.

njee20
    Free Member

Isn’t it more constructive to stop, help, and say ‘you really should carry your own stuff’, rather tha ignore, so the person on their first proper MTB ride just thinks you’re rude?

Spin
    Free Member

Where can i buy a can of worms,what do they do?

Essential for this i would have thought.

parkesie
    Free Member

Number of times ive left my pump at home in the car on the other bike. Ill always help someone out on the trails.

Spin
    Free Member

You need to ask yourself WWJD:

“A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.”

rOcKeTdOg

You mean not everyone carries a full size stand and workshop around with them in those enormous ruck sacks everyone seems to need? And if not, what the heck do you put in them?

Drac

And if not, what the heck do you put in them?

Cake and Haribo.

Euro
    Free Member

I lent a multi-tool to a guy who needed to get his pedal off. The pedal was on supa tight and he snapped the tool in half and handed it back without saying a word. I’d still lend out stuff to riders in need, but not to him again.

njee20
    Free Member

I did once stop on the road to help a bloke who’d broken his chain, had a tool, but didn’t have a clue how to use it. I did it, but snapped the tool rejoining the chain. I felt really bad, but he was fine, was no worse off than before!

I was also out a few weeks ago, had half joined in with a group for a few miles, chatting to them etc, left them on one of the climbs, broke my chain at the top. Luckily had a chain tool, which I rarely carry on the road, but only 2 of the 8 guys asked if I was alright, the others just rode straight past!

br
    Free Member

I always ask if they look in trouble, but last time at Afan we lent a tube to a group who’d ‘run’ out (Skyline descent, so on their way back). Said to them to just sling a tube on the car when they got back to the cafe (we had a ‘distinct’ car).

I saw them get back, and then pack. Just as they were driving away I walked over and asked for our tube back…

One of them ran inside to the shop to buy one. 🙄

Rickos
    Free Member

I’d say “Sling your hook, loser!”.
    In fact it would probably be shouted at them as I sped past on another Strava run.

1-shed
    Free Member

Stop and help, why not did this yesterday a young couple trying to mend a puncture (5 minutes). At Llandegla dad and son mangled chain (45 minutes). Karma 🙂

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’d always help, but it does wind me up a bit when people can’t be bothered to sort themselves out. Just like backpacking/climbing/touring etc., in my view the ethos is that you sort yourself out with your own kit, make sure you’ve got what you need, and don’t rely on others to do it for you- it just seems like bad form.

Obviously there’s no accounting for sometimes forgetting stuff, or finding out that something’s failed when you come to use it. A couple of years ago I got a right lecture off the bloke at the bike hire place near Ladybower when I asked to borrow a pump- I always have one but after a particularly long spell without punctures the bit that makes the seal had dried up or perished or something and it wouldn’t work at all!

maccruiskeen

It all depends on how much trouble someones in really. Theres a certain amount help I’ll give to someone to save them pushing back to the carpark. But I’ve taken the chain of my bike off and given it to cycle tourist in the hebrides who was in trouble.

higgo
    Free Member

Yesterday morning I lent some tools to my neighbour.

Yesterday afternoon I broke my road bike and was sat by the side of the road waiting for my wife to pick me up. Every single cyclist who rode past stopped and asked if I was OK.

smell_it
    Free Member

I trashed my rear wheel on a road ride in the peak, a bloke in a van stopped to see if i needed any assistance. As my rim had split in two there was no saving it, but he offered me and bike a lift back to north manchester, and wouldn’t take any money for petrol etc, he said he had nowt on and was happy to do someone a favour. I’m glad he didn’t mind the fact i was on a pricey bike.

Rickos
    Free Member

smell_it – to be fair to Juan, a catastrophic failure isn’t quite what he’s talking about. Pricey bike or not.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’ve stopped mid “race” to help someone fix a bike.
    It’s what you do isn’t it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Can of worm, would you:’ is closed to new replies.