Viewing 28 posts - 161 through 188 (of 188 total)
  • sonos vs squeezebox
  • cynic-al
    Free Member
    sadexpunk

The only one you don’t want to use is a ‘Phono’ input if you have one. The other line inputs should all be the same. Try plugging your CD player into the Aux.

I’ll have another play tonight thanks. I’m fairly sure for some reason the manual says not to plug stuff into phono and aux at same time. And maybe no selector for aux, just phono. Not in front of the amp at the mo tho. It’s an arcam delta 290 if that means anything to anyone.
    Thanks a lot

mjb

Just a thought but you used the word ‘selector’. Is it a rotary one rather than a set of switches? If so it might be that the contacts are dirty and its not selecting the channel properly everytime and it was just a fluke that it decided not to work when you plugged the Touch in. Perhaps try it again with the Touch and move the selector backwards and forwards through the channels to see if it’s an intermittant problem.

I vaguely remember having a similar problem where the music was really faint and i had to crank up the volume and it turned out to be the wrong channel and there must have been some sort of crossover in the amp that i was picking up.

sadexpunk

sadexpunk

Yes you’re right, its rotary. And thinking about it, its got history for this 🙂 a while ago the speakers kept swapping from one side to the other, and when I tweaked the knob around it’d alter the sound and crackle. Mebbes time for a new amp. It’s decent quality tho, so I’m loathe to get rid. Like I say, ill play with the different channels, but if I can get away with using the tuner socket that’ll do me for now.

Thanks a lot

mjb

It might just be a case of soldering a new switch onto the main board, it’s worth a Google.

sadexpunk

just had another play at switching stuff around. as i was sort of expecting, cd and squeezebox both play decent volume in either of the cd and tuner sockets, but both are quiet in the aux. so….. as i dont have a tuner now, ive reconnected cd to cd, and squeeze to tuner and sounds fine. i remember looking into what may have been the problem with the selector a good couple of years ago now, and thinking it was too complicated to fix myself.

so i think ill carry on like this until a decent amp comes along for sale maybe 🙂

now im going to concentrate on ripping some flacs and seeing if i can suss the tagging. nicko74 above suggests he uses media monkey which rips AND identifies cds, so ill look at that. im interested to hear if anyone has a reason why it may be worth pressing on with EAC compared to mediamonkey tho.

thanks a lot

nicko74

Yup, MM does everything I need – I used to use dbpoweramp for ripping, with the Godfather for tagging, but I upgraded to Windows 7 and dbpoweramp stopped working so I went for an all-in-one solution.

I think MM does most things itunes can, and takes a shedload less in the way of resources, too; it’s good for managing tags, and (I had a quick look last night) can rip to ogg, FLAC and wmv beyond the usual range of mp3 options.

sadexpunk

great stuff thanks mate, worked a treat. no more ripping to wav, converting to flac just to get an unnamed album. mediamonkey done the lot in a oner 🙂

just one niggle im having at the mo. just listening to 6 music on it, and thought id save a few radio stations to favourites for future. yet when i put radio 1 or radio 2 into ‘search’ then ‘internet radio’, im getting a server connection error on screen. yet the control panel says server is working, plus im actually listening to the radio anyway!

any ideas on that one?

cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

My radio does that for some odd reason, on/off seems to sort it

cynic-al
    Free Member

FFS my touch is now telling me it’s laying music but giving no output

cynic-al
    Free Member

on off and it works 🙄

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

oh dear. Mine has occasional server dropouts, but is otherwise reliable.
    Just bought a NAS so over the next few weeks i’ll be ripping my music collection also & dragging myself into 2012!

cynic-al
    Free Member

FFS now my remote app is seeing only 1 of my 3 players.. 😡

sadexpunk

FFS now my remote app is seeing only 1 of my 3 players..

i may be having the same prob, just having a play again trying to connect wifes laptop now.
    downloaded server to hers (laptop 2?) and logged in using my details. it found her music in her folders, so i thought id see if squeezebox found it and played it. its still only finding mine on my laptop.

any ideas on how i overcome this?

thanks

cranberry
    Free Member

Bargain-tastic PSA type thingy for a dedicated remote control for Squeezeboxen – I’ve ordered one and got a free pair of headphones and free delivery.

🙂

sadexpunk

Just a quick read of that link and it doesn’t mention compatible with the touch. Do you know if it is or not? Good find btw 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve only just set mine up, but I called the support line and they told me it worked with all devices (as should the app).

5% quidco too.

sadexpunk

hmmm just looked into it. seems a good piece of kit then, but not sure its needed. for me anyway. i know RRP is £200, but amazon selling at 70 or 80 i think, and 50 still seems steep for what it is. i just looked into installing the logitech squeezebox app on my phone instead 🙂

got it working sort of, but again, theres a niggle to sort out. (should i have bought sonos?? 🙂
    ive got the app talking to the touch, and itll browse, select 6 music from my favourites etc, but….. it wont play my music files. when i select a song (any song) the touch comes up with the error ‘problem: cant open file for’ and nowt happens. just once it displayed the song title, but still didnt play it. when i browsed back to radio, it played that ok. so theres a niggle there that i need to sort.

any ideas?

ta

cynic-al
    Free Member

switch off then on:D no…seriously.

Aye maybe £50 not needing to be spent…but I got mine as there may be others that use it and I don’t want to be handing my phone out!

nicko74

The remote is top-notch, and well worth it IMHO. It’s wifi, so no need for line of site; it can control every squeezebox in the house (I think), and the interface isn’t bad.

edit: although, of course, the app would do pretty much the same!

As for cynic-al’s various updates… It wound me up for a long time that SBs ship with such buggy firmware. This is properly built, marketed and sold kit, and yet the f/w seemed for a while to be a hobby project.

Thankfully it has improved, although the BBC app on mine is still a bit iffy.

sadexpunk

grrr….. annoyingly youre right!! well, sort of. switched off, then on, tried, no good. did a rescan of my files and then it all works fine now 🙂
    hope this doesnt happen too often tho. i really like it and dont want anything to change that. im looking forward to looking into all the apps as well. i can see myself getting a spotify account, but i want to walk before i can run 🙂

cheers

sadexpunk

well, im sat here happily listening to 6music on the squeezebox, flitting between that and spotify, happy in my media castle 😀

im slowly ripping all my cds to flac on my laptop, when i had the thought that it may not be so straightforward to move them from laptop to the inevitable nas whenever i get it.
    didnt want to get too far down the line before i realised this, so….. is it straightforward? would i just plug my laptop into the nas by some method and just copy and paste it all and sit back with a pint while its whirring away?

cheers

dobo
    Free Member

copying the files to the nas should be easy, either over the network if the nas is setup or pull the drives and put them in a usb hard drive caddy connected to your laptop.
    thats the least of your worries 🙂

ask1974
    Free Member

Simple as simple things can get in the world of IT. You connect to the drive (most brands such as Western Digital, Netgear, Buffalo etc…supply software that makes this simple) then copy n paste. If you want to keep the files on your laptop in sync with those on your NAS I advise Goodsync (Google it), it’ll keep the folders in sync and only copy across new additions.

sadexpunk

thanks a lot, ill carry on then 🙂

got a fair few done already, but for some reason i still get a few failures. shows the albums are ripped, but says there was a problem and each track is about 40kb. ill try those ones again and see if its just hit and miss, or if theres a prob with the cd’s. using mediamonkey for it.

ta.

cranberry
    Free Member

Try using EAC instead- I used it for 400-odd disks and it seems to have done a very good job.

sadexpunk

started off with that mate, but it didnt recognise any of my cd’s so they were all anonymous, plus it ripped to wav then i had to convert wav to flac. seemed a bit of a rave when mediamonkey does it all. recognises the cd’s and rips straight to flac.

thanks for the recommendation tho.

Viewing 28 posts - 161 through 188 (of 188 total)

The topic ‘sonos vs squeezebox’ is closed to new replies.