• This topic has 43 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Songs that are eternally ruined for you! :-)
  • the-muffin-man

Heard Don McLean’s Vincent on the radio the other day – nice enough song, and one my dad listed to a lot back in the 70’s so fond memories of it growing up.

But… I just can’t hear it now without being reminded of Freddie Starr’s ‘Vincent’ routine. This will always be the case and I will always expect it to speed-up and slow-down.

Got a lot to answer for that Freddie Starr! 🙂

cb200
    Free Member

‘Release the Pressure’ by Leftfield. Listen to it without thinking of the Macarena.

Sorry.

snownrock

I can’t hear Elton John – don’t let the sun go down on me without hearing “don’t let your son go down on me”

Harry_the_Spider

Ziggy Stardust – “Making love with his eagle” and the Pretenders one where Chrissy Hind says “Sausage”.

sirromj

Suddenly – Angry Anderson. Loved it right up until it was used in Neighbours and entered mainstream consciousness.

Caher

I remember puff daddy ruining True. My Spandau ballet school disco slowey.

bikecurious
    Free Member

Max Romeo and the Upsetters – I chase the devil.

There’s a weird ratchet noise that sounds like when you wind a bit driver back before turning forward again. Once you’ve honed in on it the song is ruined.

NZCol

My ‘friend’ winces & has to turn off the Cranberries Linger as he snapped his banjo string enthusiastically banging with it on in the background. The struggle for him is real, so you know what is put on every Juke box everywhere and has been for , oh, 20 years !

binners

Anything by The XX.

There was an interview with David Cameron where he said that he and Samantha liked to listen to it when they went for ‘cuddles in the afternoon’

One note of it now and that horrific vision returns

I know that by posting this I have now ruined The XX for everyone else now

Why would you say something like that in an interview? WHY?!!!

johnx2
    Free Member

off the Cranberries Linger as he snapped his banjo string enthusiastically banging

Wrapped around his finger?

Serve him right for being enthusiastic. Desultory is where it’s at. Actually – isn’t that song a bit of a plodder?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

You’re Gorgeous by BabyBird.

Besides being awful in the first place, I had the misfortune to have a student room next door to a girl who, no word of a lie, did not remove it from her stereo the whole year. The stereo was on repeat. Of one track. Every night. Fortunately she was largely out drinking after about 8pm most nights. Some nights it went on – again – after she got back in. After just three days I was having dreams about strangling her… And yet, there was almost the whole year left to go.

I have owned a reasonable pair of headphones ever since.

submarined
    Free Member

Thanks to The Beano when I was a child:
    ‘You can’t curry gloves, no, you’ll just lose some weight,
    ‘cos gloves don’t cook easy, it’s such a shame they will not bake.’
    I mean, it’s a terrible song anyways, but still.

Also, my colleague spent a significant amount of his life convinced that the lyrics to ‘Eton Rifles’ were some sort of Sat Nav instruction, so now I can’t listen to it without hearing ‘U turn, right fork’.

And that XX fact has now been added. Thanks. ‘Islands’ will never be the same again. You dick.

sockpuppet

By contrast, I find the “Holding back the ears” & “Bunny’s too tight to mention” improve my appreciation of the originals rather.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Ha. Just had to play Chase the Devil to confirm – still smirking, neither that record or my use of any ratchet will ever be the same again

submarined
    Free Member

By contrast, I find the “Holding back the ears” & “Bunny’s too tight to mention” improve my appreciation of the originals rather.

(c) rathergood.com

onehundredthidiot

Robbie Williams angels is vastly improved when you substitute “a lot of love and affection” with “a rubber glove and erection”.

I know it’s not what was asked in the op but I’m trying to reset the balance.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Lord Rockingham’s XI ‘s ‘Hoots Mon’ eternally ruined for me by Maynard’s Wine Gums advert.

To make it worse, there’s no ‘juice’ (neither ‘loose‘, nor ‘in the hoose ’) – just bits of (undisclosed) dead-animals, acid and sugar.

But hey, at least there’s wine!? Right?? Right??? Oh…

Bastards.

ajantom

There’s a weird ratchet noise that sounds like when you wind a bit driver back before turning forward again

‘s a Guiro innit?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Just for MR…

jimdubleyou

To be honest, it was never that great, but I saw people doing Atomic Kitten’s “You can make me whole again” at karaoke.

All fine, until you replace the word make with lick.

Cougar

Not that it’s particularly difficult to spoil, but I can’t hear the pizzicato strings in Elbow’s Day in The Life without singing along with the theme tune to Dogtanian and the Three Muskahounds.

And now, nor can you. You’re welcome.

I ruined Faith No More’s “Epic” for myself a few months ago by listening to the otherwise fairly nonsensical lyrics and having a sudden epiphany 30 years too late: it’s about how fantastic rape is, isn’t it?

You’re Gorgeous by BabyBird.

Besides being awful in the first place,

Is it just me that thinks that song makes absolutely no sense being sung by a bloke? It’s clearly about a young woman being taken advantage of.

PrinceJohn

This sketch that I showed my partner has meant she can’t listen to the song without hearing more cowbell…

Kuco

Never heard Epic being related to rape before. IIRC Mike Patton stated once it was about masturbation.

sadexpunk

I can’t hear Elton John – don’t let the sun go down on me without hearing “don’t let your son go down on me”

haha, im the same with nik kershaws song of the (nearly) same title….”i wont let your son go down on me”

Cougar

I mean,

It’s cryin’, bleedin’, lying on the floor
    So you lay down on it and you do it some more
    You’ve got to share it, so you dare it
    Then you bare it and you tear it

You want it all but you can’t have it
    It’s in your face but you can’t grab it

It’s alive, afraid, a lie, a sin
    It’s magic, it’s tragic, it’s a loss, it’s a win
    It’s dark, it’s moist, it’s a bitter pain
    It’s sad it happened and it’s a shame

That’s a pretty extreme J Arthur.

I could be wrong, it’s not something I’ve read or heard but rather I just suddenly thought it.

Cougar

Seems Patton’s been a bit vague about it.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/faith-no-more/epic

I suppose I’m reading too much into it. If I were right then it’d surely be a wider known ‘fact.’

ION, Michael Jackson ruined “I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles” for me.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Chumbawumba Tubthumping, I nearly died in Wrexham Maelor hospital, this song had just been released and it was on every bloody radio station.

CountZero

I know that by posting this I have now ruined The XX for everyone else now

Nope. Can’t say I find The XX interesting enough to bother me.

Is it just me that thinks that song makes absolutely no sense being sung by a bloke? It’s clearly about a young woman being taken advantage of.

I think that’s supposed to be the point, being sung from the opposite perspective.
    I’ve got quite a few covers of songs sung by women that were originally from a male perspective, and without changing the lyrics – Tori Amos did a whole album with that intent.

Cougar

Yeah, but it wasn’t originally sung by anyone else, was it?

freeandsingle
    Free Member

I came here to say bunny’s too tight to mention, seems I’m not the only one to have enjoyed newgrounds.com BITD

tazzymtb

all saints “under the bridge” completely ruined by the awful red hot chill peppers cover of it.

racefaceec90

heart barry cuda

bonnie tyler total eclipse of the heart “mullet with headlights”

toto africa serengetti 😠

choppersquad
    Free Member

Every time I hear the intro from The Smiths ‘How Soon Is Now’ and it turns into ‘Hippy Chick’ by Soho.

egb81
    Free Member

I find any pop song can be vastly improved by replacing the words ‘babe’ with ‘Dave’ and ‘Kiss’ with ‘fist’. Sixpence None the Richer’s single hit song is much better for this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N-qO3sPMjc

loughor
    Free Member

Big in Japan. I cannot hear anything other than my school mate singing ‘big in ja-pants’

Kuco

tazzymtb, Red Hot Chill Peppers is the original. All saints did the awful cover.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

The ‘ratchet noise’ is a güiro I believe…

What about Axel F? You just can’t hear it now without doing the ‘Ding Ding’.

martinhutch

Sue Lawley, Sue Lawley, Sue Lawley…

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Or, A year has passed since I broke my nose….

Not sure this so much ruined a song but it does make me smile…

Does it improve the original?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Is it just me that thinks that song makes absolutely no sense being sung by a bloke?

I suppose it could seem like utter nonsense unless it’s written in first person but is telling a story. Not all songs are literally about the singer.

Jones told The Sheffield Telegraph November 5, 2009: “I can’t tell people how to interpret the song, but the song’s actually about male photographers who want to use women to sell things using sex.”

I read a book once (‘Us’ by David Nicholls) where the (male) author similarly told a story in first-person perspective yet it was about two characters. One of whom was a woman. The (male) author used ‘I’ in the same way when it came to tell the woman’s side of the story.

mrmonkfinger

Just for MR…

(SWIDT @ Cougar 😉 )

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Songs that are eternally ruined for you! :-)’ is closed to new replies.