• This topic has 42 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by toby1.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Something comfier than a tourer?
  • ton

got a tourer, it is comfy, i spend a lot of time on it now, but is there anything comfier?

i travel slowly on the bike, 10mph most of the time. i stay seated up climbs, and lightweight is not needed.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Tripster? Its the new stw niche bike.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Recumbent?

scotroutes

Fat bike.

I’m surprised you had to ask. Even a 29+ like an ECR would be great.

convert

2nd recumbent.

Stoner
    Free Member

Recumbent is definitely your next step, ton 🙂

bikeneil
    Free Member

Something comfier than a tourer?

A car?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, get bent! They’re great fun, too.

Bregante

A recumbent for ton would need to be about 18 feet long 😀

ton

reson i have steered clear of a fatbike is because i imagine the drag compared to a 700×42 tyre would be quite hard work. and i aint up to that.

Drac

Big Wheel?

trout
    Free Member

Ton you may be surprised
    a fatty with the semislicks is pretty good and comfy too

scaredypants

comfy how ?

thudbusters are nice

househusband

Hell, just got for both recumbent and fat in one…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Tony, borrow Steve’s Muckluck, and head over here for a fat bike ride out?
    You’d be surprised how fun/ easygoing they are?

zilog6128

reson i have steered clear of a fatbike is because i imagine the drag compared to a 700×42 tyre would be quite hard work. and i aint up to that.

at 10 MPH air resistance would not be a factor so there’s no reason a wider tyre would be hard work. Rolling resistance would be down to tyre material/tread pattern.

ton

comfy how ?

i have no bloody idea.
    i have a comfy seat, and nice comfy jones bars, i am sat in a nice relaxed position, dont get backache, or sore wrists. get a numb bum sometimes, but nowt too bad.
    use flat pedals with normal trainers, so feet are fine, no sore knees.

god knows, but something just aint there.

scotroutes

takisawa2

Comfiest bike I’ve ever ridden was my Kona Ute, but it’s a lot of bike to haul around, so I’m going to recomend it’s younger brother; the Mini-Ute. Lovely upright position, but once up to speed they waft along surprisingly well. Stick on some nice big 29″ slick tyres & you’ll be right. 😉

And to think, CRC were knocking these out for less than £300 not long ago. 😐

Yes, I’ll buy a Mini-Ute next time I can. In an effort to make my commute more comfy I currently have a tatty Halfords Carrerra on to which I’ve stuck the tallest stem known to man. I actually caught that Mustang Wanted bloke hanging off it the other day.

IMAG3386 by pten2106, on Flickr

ton

has anyone on here got a recumbent?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yep, get bent! They’re great fun, too.

Provided you can stay on the damn things!

I’ve ridden one, my father in law and his mate were into them. Acually, his mate is very tall and was giving his frame away not so long ago, I was tempted for the cost of postage from the US but too big for me. I can enquire if you want?

It was a 2×26″ wheel one I think so probably could be built up with spares bin parts.

ton

there is a place in Suffolk, think I am gonna go for a weekends test ride thing that they do.

I will see if I like em 1st molgrips, thanks tho.

rsvktm

Hi Ton, we’ve met a couple of times in the past at events. Good to hear that you are managing to get out more. Currently trying out one of my brothers that I have on loan, he has a few. I have always just had one quick go down the road and said no way, so have now borrowed for a while to try and get head round riding one.
    When you look into them there is so much difference between each type is difficult to say but the one I have borrowed is a fast one rather than a comfy tourer but it is a comfy position to be in.
    My brother has a number of ‘normal’ bikes as well but having just had a heart bypass his rehab plan involves recumbents for the comfort element.
    If you need any pointers let me know I will have a word with him.
    Peter

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Expedition bike?

lunge

Everyone’s definition of “comfortable” is different isn’t it? See, I have Kona MinUte and use it loads but it is certainly not comfortable for any distance, too much weight on my bum, no variation in hand position and the seat angle makes pedalling feel odd.

My most comfortable bike is my alu roadie. It is very stiff, has a hard saddle and an “arse up, head down” position. But, the drops give lots of positions and the weight being distributed between hands and bum works well for me. Add in some 25mm tyres and it is great for long (250 mile+) rides.

What I am trying to say is that if you know what is uncomfortable you can make a suggestion but people saying what they find best may not work for you.

molgrips
    Free Member

I will see if I like em 1st molgrips, thanks tho.

Lots of different kinds, obviously, all ride different.

Ben_H

Bigger tyres make more difference that frame material (if not geometry) in my experience.

Having Stans Crest rims on my new wheels meant I was forced to use 35c Conti Cyclocross Speed tyres instead of my usual 25/28c GP 4 Seasons – the difference in comfort is very noticeable.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Bellywhopper bicycle?

BigDummy
    Free Member

ECR

Got to be done. 😉

roverpig

Back around the turn of the millenium, Ben of this parish sold me one of these:

StreetMachine Recumbent

I used it for a sedate (3 week) tour from John O’Groats down to Lands End. It was like piloting an arm chair. Not the fastest climber, but supremely comfortable if you are not in a hurry and you are in a perfect position to admire the view.

davosaurusrex

Euro style trekking bike. My wife has a corratec that crc were knocking out over 50% off, big fat 29er slicks, suspension seat post, handlebar stem adjusts with a qr and has about 4″ of vertical range. Hub driven dynamos and rack as standard, it’s brilliant. Her parents are both 60 and just rode their trekking bikes 800km in 9 days across Germany.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

+1 for the Ute, great ship of a bike, not too heavy for what it is.

I do most road miles on a repurposed M-Trax 150

With North Roader bars:

With original Ti straight bars and wrapped bar ends

Zingy, sprightly, uprightish and pretty damn quick with a retro XT rebuild right down to hubs and B/B. can go all day on this.

I do miss the Ute for that super-laid back cruiserish feel – and has been replaced by a Batavus Personal, also supremely comfortable but way too heavy and undergeared for touring

ton

Malvern rider…..imagine swapping your frame for a surly lht, then that is how mine is set up. measurements would be indentical I am sure.. 8)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Hey Ton I’m thinking that the LHT has a longer wheelbase? The M-Trax is a bit of a pain with large panniers/heel-strike…

Had no such probs on The Good Ship 😉 (But was flexy when loaded TBH, and an annoying shimmy when no-hand cruising)

ton

it is longer….I am comfy on it again now. put a old b17 back on it, swapped grip to some old esi I had laying around.

your bike looks very nice.

midlifecrashes

You said you liked my mk1 Fargo.

I’m on my jollies last two weeks in August, do you want to borrow it while I’m away?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Another vote for Tripster although mine is slightly older but very comfy on and off road.

ton

midlifecrashes…….that is ace mate, I would have loved to, but I go in hospital on Wednesday, so off the bike for a while.

seriously much appreciated.

midlifecrashes

No worries, you concentrate on getting back on your feet then give me a shout, I’m not planning on getting rid of this one any time soon.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Recently rode a townbike (bogstandard Trek thing) and my SiL’s Pashley (there were ligit reasons promise!) and they were both mighty comfy, don’t know how they would fair with where I live, they live in Stratford, nae hills.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Something comfier than a tourer?’ is closed to new replies.