Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 140 total)
  • Someone on here had a Focus ST estate…
  • renton
    Free Member

Why don’t you buy new then on a PCP and then get a loan at the end of the PCP term to buy the car outright if you are keeping the car.

At least you will know the complete history of the car.

That is what I am doing with my Octavia.

porlus
    Free Member

Porlus – one of the upgrades on this one is sport seats. Other cars are available though, even options on an auto 1 series

Nice one.

Have you looked at the 320d ED Sport model. Comes really well specced as standard. Leather if my memory serves me right. Lower suspension than the SE model too.

stumpy01

Kryton57 – Member

Sorry – £500 a year!

So, £40 less a month for a new car as opposed to a 3 year old car. What are the warranty considerations like for both options? Presumably both cars start with a 3yr manufacturer warranty? So, what do you get with the BMW in terms of warranty, over the Skoda?

I think my money would be going on the Skoda; BMW’s are fine cars, but I’ve never been that enamoured with them when I’ve driven them or been a passenger, compared to other options.

Kryton57

Why don’t you buy new then on a PCP and then get a loan at the end of the PCP term to buy the car outright if you are keeping the car.

The size of the loan on a 3yo car will be bigger than that of a 7yo car.

Stumpy01 – all fair points and in my argument to Mr BMW. If he won’t make it more attractive than Simpsons Skoda then its a no deal

renton
    Free Member

The size of the loan on a 3yo car will be bigger than that of a 7yo car.

Not really.

My final figure is £9.2k.

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

Whichever car you choose, I’d always prefer to lease in your scenario.

Why pay an annual APR rate on a car you are going to hand back? At least with leasing you aren’t paying an interest rate back to a finance company.

prawny

Leasing is a stressful experience when you’ve got 8 and 4 year olds rubbing jam into the seats, IME anyway.

Kryton57

Sorry Renton:

New Beemer = £36k

2nd Hand Beemer – £16k

In respect of the monthly payments being roughly the same – circa £14k over 4 years – how are you assuming the final/balloon payment for both will be the same?

Kryton57

wilsonthecat – Member
    Whichever car you choose, I’d always prefer to lease in your scenario.

Why pay an annual APR rate on a car you are going to hand back? At least with leasing you aren’t paying an interest rate back to a finance company.

POSTED 6 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    prawny – Member
    Leasing is a stressful experience when you’ve got 8 and 4 year olds rubbing jam into the seats, IME anyway.

…and bikes in/out… All of which are considerations I need to make 😀

prawny

You have some control over putting your bike in, kids are like dogs, only harder to control 8)

That 320d sounds perfect, I want it 😆 just make sure you really screw them on the trade in, my kids wanted to go home when we bought ours and the sales guys thought we were playing hardball when I went to leave so he gave us another £1500 px!

Edited to make some sense.

Gary_M
    Free Member

just make sure you really screw them on the trade in, my kids wanted to go home when we bought ours and the sales guys thought we were playing hardball when I went to leave so he gave us another £1500 px!

Except you only think you’re screwing them. Any car sales person will expect the customer to walk away, they keep something in reserve for that. If they’re not making money out of you then they won’t do business with you.

Kryton57

If they’re not making money out of you then they won’t do business with you.

… is what I’d do. I work in Sales 😀

prawny

Sorry yeah, should have said squeeze, not screw. I know they’re getting a good deal out of it too, but not as good as they tried to get away with.

I had one of these in mind as I was typing

renton
    Free Member

Sorry Renton:

New Beemer = £36k

2nd Hand Beemer – £16k

In respect of the monthly payments being roughly the same – circa £14k over 4 years – how are you assuming the final/balloon payment for both will be the same?

Doh I wasn’t really making sense to myself either !!

So your 3 year old beemer is going to cost £16k. paying it over 4 years. That will be a 7 year old car at the end of it and things start going wrong etc leading to big bills.

Octavia costs £28 new, I managed to get a 0% pcp deal and put 5 k down. at the end of the term (3 years) my lump sum is £9.2k and the car is only 3 years old.

It makes more sense to me to buy a new car if you are planning on keeping, you will know the complete history of it and how its been looked after etc.

Fair enough the BMW could be one owner but do you really know how that owner has treated the car over the time they have had it?

Gary_M
    Free Member

That will be a 7 year old car at the end of it and things start going wrong etc leading to big bills.

On a 7 year old car?

Octavia costs £28 new, I managed to get a 0% pcp deal and put 5 k down. at the end of the term (3 years) my lump sum is £9.2k and the car is only 3 years old.

You didn’t pay £28k for a vrs surely?

But your calcs are pretty much the same as what I’ve just done. New ford focus estate 1.5 182ps titanium x £18,400, £5k down 0% and £7.8k left to pay at the end. I looked at the vrs and I can see the appeal but it’s not really me.

renton
    Free Member

You didn’t pay £28k for a vrs surely?

Hell no !!! I paid £22.5k

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ah that’s about right depending on spec obvs

mindmap3
    Free Member

The current Focus’s boot isn’t as epic as the mk1 but it’s still way better than an octavia estate’s, if you want it as a bike hauler.

Really? My Octavia hatch is cavernous and swallows bikes easily. Certainly better than my mates ST Estate used to. I was choosing between an STD and a vRS two years ago and the vRS won. The ST was just a bit chavvy for me plus I didn’t like the infotainment system. The VAG one is just so easy to use. The vRS is pretty dull but it’s easy to live with and will be a tough act to replace in two years. Three bikes as three people is easy, dump runs are easy, holidays are easy loading up kids crap etc.

Personally I’d avoid an SE BMW because the seats are awful, I love the M Sport seats and find them really comfortable. I think the handling is pretty meh compared to the M sport version especially on the newer F series cars.

slackalice
    Free Member

How to achieve lasting happiness, inner peace and being a better person right here in this thread 😉

Sweet. 😆

tomjones80
    Free Member

Was on this website, just wanted someones advice on these alloys i found…

https://spitandpolish.co.uk/services/

Thanks in advance

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘Someone on here had a Focus ST estate…’ is closed to new replies.