Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 140 total)
  • Someone on here had a Focus ST estate…
  • porlus
    Free Member

Have you seen this. It’s Skoda so keeps STW happy. Great size for bikes and far from slow.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/skoda/superb-estate/20-tsi-280-se-l-executive-4×4-5dr-dsg/first-drive

Kryton57

My current BM dealer must be reading this – he phone me yesterday and is looking to make me an offer on a ’14 plate 320d SE – 40k miles upgraded with all the kits I’d want £16k.

Lol.

iainc

That 4×4 DSG Superb Estate linked a few posts up ^^^^. I was set on one, albeit the diesel version, and nearly pressed the button on it in February. Deal wise I was significantly less per month on a 4 yr pcp getting the same engine and gearbox in an A6 Avant quattro, which is what I did

prawny

My current BM dealer must be reading this – he phone me yesterday and is looking to make me an offer on a ’14 plate 320d SE – 40k miles upgraded with all the kits I’d want £16k.

Do it, do it, do it.

As long as the seats have been upgraded, Since getting sports seats in the new 2AT it made me realise how crap the standard seats are.

flange
    Free Member

So you’re going to buy a car with the same engine as the one you have now, only smaller so it’ll be slower? And BORING if it’s anything like the one I had a go in. Yet previously you were considering an ST estate. What do you actually want?

legend
    Free Member

What do you actually want?

There’s a loaded question….

prawny

Depends if he was looking at the ST or the STD (snigger) if it was the D then it’s only a bodykits worth of performance better than the 320, power and 0-60 are pretty much the same and having had a brand new Focus followed by a 4yo 3 series I know which I’d prefer.

If it’s the Petrol ST he’s looking at then who knows.

Kryton57

It was the STD I was looking at.

Flange you need to bear in mind my job involves me cruising the motorways of the South/Wales regions, and for that dull, boring and auto is what you want. I do significant bike carrying miles also.

I’m getting very frustrated and leg-ache in the 120d currently sitting in traffic, as I did yesterday sitting on the M25 in a queue at 6am. As I’ve said before if it were auto I probably would be content.

The 320 isn’t that much slower either in so much it’d make a difference, but it is slightly bigger, has more comfy ride (SE vs Sport), and is auto. On top it adds Nav and leather.

Mrs K is happy with the idea, I’ll see what magic numbers – if any – the dealer comes back with for me to exchange the cars on the PCP deal.

porlus
    Free Member

I’ve got a 118d sport with the sport auto box. It’s really good. Looking at a 320i touring next time and will be ticking the box for the auto option without hesitation.

TheGingerOne

Assume you are talking about the 3 series as a Tourer?
    Saloon only has folding rear seats as an option unless that has changed of late?

prawny

If I was getting my own car for work a 320d Auto would be absolute top of the list, without question.

I used to think they were the boring obvious choice until I lived with one for a few months. Mine didn’t even have DAB, nav or bluetooth streaming, they brought that in as standard equipment in 2014.

Kryton57

Assume you are talking about the 3 series as a Tourer?

Yep. As per prawny its the >2014 spec.

Gary_M
    Free Member

What do you actually want?

What a stupid question, an RS4 obviously and he’s buying one next year 🙂 An no that was before the OP found inner peace 🙂

My current BM dealer must be reading this – he phone me yesterday and is looking to make me an offer on a ’14 plate 320d SE

I thought your car had to be less than 5 years old, so you’ll be in the same position in a year or two?

Kryton57

I thought your car had to be less than 5 years old

I had a look at the policy when I was in the office yesterday. Its been revised to “a car which of a suitable reflection of your job role”

BMW Touring vs Travelling Salesman = win! 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

Its been revised to “a car which of a suitable reflection of your job role”

That opens up a whole world of possibilities 🙂

renton
    Free Member

Boot and rear leg space on the 3 series in tiny !

Kryton57

That opens up a whole world of possibilities

Do me a favour and don’t list them. 😉 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

Do me a favour and don’t list them.

You’ve probably started a thread about most 🙂

porlus
    Free Member

With the residuals on them when they work out the pcp deal, could a 5 series be a similar price per month to a 3 series

prawny

Boot and rear leg space on the 3 series in tiny !

You having a lend?!

Loads of leg room in the back of a 3 series, much better than a focus, much much much better.

Boot is big enough too, not as big as a passat obviously, but it’s a smaller more fun to drive car.

renton
    Free Member

Nope my mate had a 335d and when he had his drivers seat set for him I couldn’t sit behind him.

His 14 year old struggles too.

Oh and …..

Bmw 3 series boot size : 480 litres

Skoda Octavia boot size : 590 litres

prawny

How tall is he? I’m 5’11 and I can comfortably sit in the back with my seat where I have it. It was a squeeze in the focus, which was the original car in question.

Are you looking at regularly carrying 6 footers in the back Kryton? If so, the GT has more rear legroom than the 5 series so might be worth a look.

renton
    Free Member

We are both 6 footers.

Absolutely no problem in my Octavia.

prawny

Litres only tell half the story with boot size, my 2 series AT we bought on the strength that the boot was 470 litres compared to 480 in the 3 series saloon, but in the real world the 3 series boot is miles bigger. There’s no comparison between the two. But I’ve not lived with an Octavia so I don’t know.

Even if the boot is bigger though, if you’re the OP and you’re looking at a fun to drive but economical automatic estate car which would you seriously choose? I know which I’d have and I wanted an Octavia when we bought the 3 series.

Edit –

Me and the Mrs went in an octavia taxi over the summer – I didn’t find it better than the 3 series.

renton
    Free Member

Aye but sometimes it comes down to cost too !

I would rather save myself quite a few quid with the Octavia over the 3 series.

I test drove one when I was looking for a new car and found the 3 series dull as dishwater to be honest.

Also you are going to have to spend a lot of cash on a beemer to get it to the equivalent spec of an Octavia vrs.

Comparing sporty against sporty….

320 m sport auto tourer : £36910
    Octavia vrs Diesel dsg : £27910

Gary_M
    Free Member

The vrs octavia dsg comes in about £4k cheaper than than that if you shop around. Not looked at BMW prices though.

prawny

True – Octys are a lot cheaper RRP new, can’t deny that. If you were a cash buyer it would be a major draw

Not such a massive difference used though, or lease prices.

Plus Non VRS Octys are even more dull than a 3 series.

flange
    Free Member

£28k for an Octavia??

iainc

Also you are going to have to spend a lot of cash on a beemer to get it to the equivalent spec of an Octavia vrs.

Comparing sporty against sporty….

320 m sport auto tourer : £36910
    Octavia vrs Diesel dsg : £27910

those figures only mean anything if you are purchasing outright. On a PCP where dealer contributions, manufacturer contributions and residual value all impact, it is often the case that the BM/Audi will be less per month than the VW/Seat/Skoda

twonks

flange – Member
    £28k for an Octavia

This is one of the reasons I like the vRS. A lot of badge snobs laugh at the thought of paying so much for a skip.

When compared against the equivalent golf gtd or a3, BMW etc, the money all of a sudden isn’t too bad.

‘but it’s a skoda’ usually comes back.

At that point I usually leave the conversation as they’ll never understand 😀

Kryton57

Rear passengers will be my 8 and 4yos on an infrequent basis. We have a family car, this is for me and the bike.

I did a pcp cost straight off the websites (so no dealer negotiation yet) and the 3yo 3 series 320d SE was £500 a month more than a brand new Octavia VRS diesel on pcp on a 48 month contract.

Gary_M
    Free Member

£500 a month more

Is that a typo, £500 a month over 48 months, so £24k more over 48 months. Shurley shum mishtake?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah he did mean C£900 a month 😆

I think..

Not.

iainc

3 yr old 3 series costs £500 a month more over 48 months than a new Octavia Vrs ???

Kryton57

Sorry – £500 a year!

iainc

^^ I guess the issue is that on a 3 yr old BMW, by the time the 48 month PCP is done, there is chuff all residual in it as a 7 yr old car, so monthly payments go up to cover. I think PCP only really works in favour for new or nearly new cars.

porlus
    Free Member

What spec is your current 1 series (msport isn’t it)
    As mentioned earlier the non sports seats are bobbins for comfort. Had a 3 series ED model for a while. Nice car generally but couldn’t get on with the seats. Side support wasn’t deep and wide apart, so had a tendancy to slide around a bit. The sports seats with the pneumatic bolsters are great.

Nobby

Kryton57 – Member

Car needs to be <5yo due to work rules. And if I came home with another Alfa I’ll be getting a divorce!

Why? There is only one reason you had to get rid of that! 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s a second car then, or could be a first car. That means you could buy an electric as one of the cars. It’s unlikely you’ll both be doing more than 300km on the same day (500km with a lunchtime charge). Try one before you dismiss the idea.

Kryton57

The other car – which will be replaced next year – is hybrid and already chosen by Mrs Kryton. There will be a full electric version at buying time to consider also.

Ian C – i may have one eye on buying it at the end of the pcp so low residual is ok. Porlus – one of the upgrades on this one is sport seats. Other cars are available though, even options on an auto 1 series.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘Someone on here had a Focus ST estate…’ is closed to new replies.