Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Some daylight pics of the Frankenbike…
  • psychle
    Free Member

Took the new ride for a shakedown test, 20km's or so along the canals of East London. Dang it's heavy and pushing it into the wind isn't fun 😆 But the shifting is good, gearing is nice and useful, front doesn't feel to high or unbalanced… all in all I reckon it'll be quite a good 'hooligan hardtail' I just need to get some more appropriate (and lighter!) tyres for it…

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Very very nice.

did i see that frame on ebay?? was it a team/proto type frame??

nickc

That is quite possibly the ugliest bike in the world. Well done, you must be very proud. 🙂

psychle
    Free Member

that hurts man, that really hurts… 🙁 Nah, not really, I'm thick skinned, bring on your slings and arrows 😆

I quite like it, it's different and actually quite good to ride, so yep, I am a little proud of my creation 8)

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

What is it with folk posting continual pix of Singlespeeds on here!

psychle
    Free Member

it's not a singlespeed 😉

sheldona
    Free Member

I've got to agree that is fugly makes Jones look nice!

naokfreek
    Free Member

Quite mad, but i like it…not likely to see another one eh!

redthunder
    Free Member

"What a peice of junk"

psychle
    Free Member

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid" 😉

maybe… yet to point it downhill yet 😆

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

that looks terrible

psychle
    Free Member

jut wondering, is it the fork choice that's turning folk off? or the whole thing in general? I do have a Float 36 I could pop on the front…

PJ266
    Free Member

You're all morons.

Different forks and it'd be mint.

P.S. Tension your chain a bit more! (unless theres a reason for it to be so slack with all the clever gubbins)

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

I'd prefer different forks… but whatever makes you happy!

I'm very interested in this bike, I'm building an Alfine wheel right now, and am also in East London! mini-Alfine meet?

djglover
    Free Member

I like that, on first inspection it looks ridiculous. But then it makes sense

psychle
    Free Member

I'm going to adding my gravity dropper seatpost to it shortly, then it'll make even more sense (hopefully 🙂 )

mybike
    Free Member

If LadyGAGA was a mountain bike….
    😉

Suggsey
    Free Member

Cant say that it is asthetically pleasing to the eye but the beauty in a bike is how it feels to you when you ride it. I suppose the transmission is as winterised as you could get whilst still being able to geared. Take it all your towpaths are gravelled doesnt seem to have much mud on it!

bullheart
    Free Member

I love it!

psychle
    Free Member

cheeky bump, as it's now for sale on the classifieds 🙁

Olly
    Free Member

thats really awful, i mean, truly terrible.
    i thought the whole one of the points of a geared hub means you dont need a twin ring up front.

if it was a single speed at the back, its almost forgivable,
    500 quid (iirc) cranks on a bike with touring tyres?

psychle
    Free Member

touring tyres were a bit of a joke… all I had lying around at the time, now running Advantages 🙂

Hammer + Alfine gives you pretty close to a 27 speed gearing range, it's a bit heavy though. Did this as a bit of an experiment really, to see if it works and what it'd be like.

Running it as a 2-speed could be cool, 38T + 16T for hammering downhill etc, 24T + 16T for winching back up?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I love it, 66's on it and it'd be reet tasty!

MrNutt
    Free Member

I love it, 66's on it and it'd be reet tasty!

psychle
    Free Member

Frame is really designed for a 120mm fork I think, though Orange say it can go up to 130mm… 150mm triple crown (albeit a light all-mountain style one) is probably a little overkill 😆

Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

cool, I'm guessing this is a jump/big hit bike. How durable is the alfine hub for that kinda thing?

psychle
    Free Member

not sure… hasn't really been tested tbh 🙂 If I was building it with a new hub bought at full rrp I probably wouldn't do it, but with a second-hand hub it's worth the risk I think…

You're right though, the Miii is billed as a jump/4X bike, though as this is a slightly bigger version (at 15") it seems OK for trail as well.

Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

yeah, if your names grumpy, sneezy or dare I say it, Doppy.

psychle
    Free Member

Doppy? perhaps sir means Dopey? 🙂

In what way would it be dopey? dangerous or simply risking moolah dopey?

Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

Ok brains, so spelling not a strong point. I mean Dopey as in small inside leg!

psychle
    Free Member

ah…got yah 😉

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

I like the concept. Some nicer forks and tires and it'd be sweet. You must be gutted to have to sell it.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Some daylight pics of the Frankenbike…’ is closed to new replies.