• This topic has 66 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by will.
Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Sold Wheels – Buyer not happy
  • banks
    Free Member

If you part-refund him please do so in entirely 1p’s..

It’s moments like this which really put me off using eBay

takisawa2

Skint student (awful Sofa, garish carpet, generally untidyness). Bought posh wheels, screwed them & now wants his cash back.

Tell him firmly no. Wheels were posted as good, received & inspected as good, then rejected after being ridden god knows how many miles, in god knows what conditions, with god knows what pads, fitted by god knows who, checked by god knows….etc, etc.

Too many god knows.
    Tell him that on reflection you are not prepared to refund.

footflaps

Hitting a pothole normally chips the rim, seen plenty of carbon wheels damaged that way road racing. The way it has just warped, rather than cracked looks likes over heating to me. However, that’s the first warped carbon wheel I’ve ever seen!

monkeychild
    Free Member

If he’s ridden them he’s accepted them. Tell him to do one, he’s being a chancer.

stufive
    Free Member

Ive got to say I agree If i bought something second hand and I broke it i wouldnt dare ask for a refund! cheeky so and so tell him to jog on 😛

footflaps

This is what hitting a pothole at 30mph in a road race does to a £2000 carbon wheel:

Pothole damage to Lightweight carbon wheel by brf, on Flickr

will
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. I’ve sent him an email saying I’m not willing to refund however as a good will gesture ill give him £20 to sort the minor buckle.

Ill update when I get a reply…

will
    Free Member

Bit of an update…

I gave the chap £20 partial refund for the issue he had with the rear wheels. He thanked me and that was that.

Got an email this morning saying he is now opening an official Paypal dispute and wants a FULL refund.

Don’t know what Paypal will make of this?

bearnecessities

Paypal would (should) side with you providing you have an admission via e-mail that he has ridden the wheels.

I know the whole ‘side with the buyer’ thing is generally true, but from reasonable experience, stick to:

– He rode them, he would not have been able to ride them if they were like that when they arrived (point out factually, why would he even try?)

– It’s not possible to warp carbon like that though normal use, wear and tear or structural failure.

Keep totally factual – avoid any accusations, just stick to reasons why it is not possible.

Best of luck.

will
    Free Member

Thanks. 100% agree with sticking to facts and the truth. I have submitted my reply via Paypal so will see what they say.

Also the fact the formal dispute has only just been opened should be in my favour?

v8ninety

Also, could acceptance of the partial refund be taken as having reached a settlement? I would certainly see it as such.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’d be withdrawing any money from your account and cancelling your direct debit with them as a safeguard

will
    Free Member

V8 – That was my thought.

Tom – No funds in my PP account, but it is linked to my debit card. Although my PP balance is now minus £217!! I guess it will be until the dispute is resolved?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d be withdrawing any money from your account and cancelling your direct debit with them as a safeguard

That’s what I’d do. Easy enough to never use that account again and open another one.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

And if they won’t let you unlink your debit card from your account, call your bank and cancel it saying you’ve lost it.

Sadly it seems that Paypal have a nasty habit of siding with the scammers and stiffing the honest users.

meehaja
    Free Member

Buyer in Leeds?

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats fubar.

never seen a carbon rim that bad , thats seen some heat.

jimification
    Free Member

Yes, call your bank and tell them to stop any Paypal direct debits until you tell them otherwise. I’ve done this a couple of times, just explained I had problems with a dodgy buyer and they (coop bank) were fine with it. Just a phone call later to reinstate it again.

br
    Free Member

No funds in my PP account, but it is linked to my debit card.

Why in gods name would anyone link their PP account to a debit card, that comes straight out of a bank account?

will
    Free Member

I use PayPal for quite a lot of online stuff and its very useful and quick. Ill ring the bank tomorrow

feisty
    Free Member

Paypal are like a bank but not governed in the same way so denying them payment will see them pursue you very nastily through the courts to get their money, at very least they will screw your credit rating.

I had an issue selling a set of CK hubed wheels, they had a little run out but hardly anything but were only 6 months old with light use, the guy was not happy so as you did I refunded the cost of a wheel re-truing and he was very happy with that.

Your guy seems like a joker who toasted his rim with the wrong pads, as has been said stick with the facts, you could not mount a tyre to that and not notice it

Good luck

will
    Free Member

Thanks Feisty. I’ll update when I get a response from Paypal.

Northwind

notmyrealname – Member

Sadly it seems that Paypal have a nasty habit of siding with the scammers and stiffing the honest users.

So people say- I’ve had a load of fraudulent claims against me and paypal knocked them all back. It’s sometimes difficult to jump through the right hoops though.

andyrm
    Free Member

Blatant false claim. He broke them, he needs to take responsibility. Fact is he accepted them “as is”.

I sold a bike the other week and made the new owner sign a printout of images of it with “sold as seen” in his own handwriting, to protect me against this. Here’s the very problem we face with online sales – it’s hard to force someone’s hand to do that.

will
    Free Member

That’s not a bad idea Andy. I’ve sold and bought a lot of SH stuff online and never had an issue, got to admit this has really put me off. Which is a shame.

goldfish24

I went throgh a very similar process with an eBay buyer, in the end Ebay and PayPal were brilliant through the dispute process.

Buyer bought my lense, after a few weeks said “I’ve used it a few times now its broken”. I pointed out it worked fine when I sent it, but perhaps damage in transit so offered to assist pursuit of an insurance claim with the courier. He declined and accused me of beig a fraudster blah blah, he opened the dispute. eBay found in my favour in the end, no doubt my polite manner and offers of assistance had helped, whilst his conduct never looked good.

Keep your conversations inside the eBay messaging system, don’t use private mail.

will
    Free Member

Good to hear that Goldfish. Unfortunately the sale was not on Ebay, but another bike forum.

I have a record of our conversation through the forum, and now any more communication will be just through Paypal. Really do hope Paypal can see my side of the story! As I really don’t want to be £225 out of pocket!

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Sold Wheels – Buyer not happy’ is closed to new replies.