• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by ajaj.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sold secure Gold D lock sub £50
  • joebristol

As the above I’m trying to find one – preferably not Oxford as everything I read suggests they’re pap (I have their Chain 10 just to tick the box for insurance but it’s not a quality item).

Ideally I’d get the longer shackle kryptonite New York Kock but it’s too expensive. Not massively worried about weight as I’m planning to use it on the garage through a ground anchor.

The New York is a 16mm shackle which sounds hard to cut unless you have a grinder.

mehr
    Free Member

Onguard pitbulls Amazon

squirrelking
    Free Member

Looking into Onguard, I’d say the Brute, purely because they take a fair amount to open even by pros. That’s a good price next to Kryptonite.

joebristol

Good call, I’d never heard of that make – going to order the Brute – I don’t see someone picking the lock on it whilst the alarm is going off in my garage.

Plus not even hydraulic cutters are going through that – and another review suggested it took over a minute to get through it even with a grinder – and even then I’m not sure if you will need to cut both sides to actually get the bike free.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Brute is 30 quid on Evans at moment if Amzn isn’t your cup of tea

damascus
    Free Member

Having watched a video on how long it takes to cut each of the different chains I’d rather have 5 cheap ones than one good one. There’s not a lot in it with a big set of bolt cutters.

Looking at a set of bikes with loads of chains is off putting, it’s hard work and noisy. Getting through one looks easier.

joebristol

Yeah but it’s annoying having to fit loads of chains every time you want to take your bike out….planning to just have 2 locks per bike / set of bikes in the garage. 1 chain and 1 D-lock.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I got an onguard cheap in Evans, seems good (light for its size).

My 5 year old kryptonite is starting to jam at the lock mechanism

Northwind

I have a couple of the Onguard Brutes, they seem very solid and come well recommended, and at a silly price. Only thing to be aware of is that they’re not amazing for corrosion resistance- the lock on the one that lives at my work is a bit the worse for wear, in less time than I’d really like. But then it cost very little compared to other similar locks so, I can’t really complain.

damascus

Having watched a video on how long it takes to cut each of the different chains I’d rather have 5 cheap ones than one good one. There’s not a lot in it with a big set of bolt cutters.

There are boltcutterproof chains- Squire make one, Almax and Pragmasis also. They are massive though.

Ewan
    Free Member

I think i got my kyprtonite newyork lock for about 30 quid from halfords late last year. Got them to price match IIRC and used british cycling discount code.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The standard kryptonite used to be sold secure gold rated, but now isn’t. So if you can find an old one…….

Depends if you need one that you absolutely trust (pointless, if it’s that well targeted that they know you have bikes, they’ll probably bring an angle grinder or big enough bolt croppers to defeat anything), or just one that satisfies insurers (and probably lasts just as long in the face of power tools).

sheepydan

Following on from Northwind’s comment, I started using an Onguard pit bull to lock the outer bike shed door in all weathers and it jammed very quickly, luckily somehow off the door!

joebristol

Ordered the OnGuard Brute – it’s going to live in a dry and not at all damp garage. The advert I bought it from mentioned lubricating it frequently so I’m guessing the lock is where the money has been saved on the spec of the lock.

At work I’ve got a few years old Krytonite New York lock and that can get damp but it’s been relentlessly reliable. Ideally I’d have bought one of those but I’m being tight! The bike will likely be locked with both the Brute and a Hiplock gold rates chain. Should hold up any attempts to nick it all whilst the alarm is going off too.

ajaj
    Free Member

My Onguard (the midrange one) is about 7 years old, lives in an open bike shed and other people seem to drop it a lot. The plastic is gone, the paint worn and the outside is rusty but it still works fine. It gets oil every Christmas.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sold secure Gold D lock sub £50’ is closed to new replies.