Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Socks with shin protection
  • asbrooks

I’ve had a few offs in recent months, which require some physio to sort out some sprains.
    However, the last off I had and I didn’t notice at the time, scraped a good chunk of skin off my shin.
    I don’t really want to go down the road of proper shin guards and besides after years of trying different knee pads, I’ve actually found some that fit nicely and I don’t want to go back through the trial and error to find a knee and shin guard combination that works for me.
    So while looking this morning for options, I came across socks with shin protection. Anyone have first hand experience using them.
    Thanks

bikesandboots

I bought the Endura ones but returned them immediately. They were really long (advertised as knee length), too long for my shins so had to have a bit bunched up below the knee, and would need to be stuffed under knee pads which doesn’t really work. The padding was 5mm foam. Also a pad on the inner ankle which got in the way of the padding on my shoes. Material was like a normal sport sock, due to the length it’d be quite warm in summer but I’d need another sock over them in winter.

I took a punt on some Scott Grenade Evo shin pads for £10 in a sale to go below my knee pads, but haven’t made much use of them.

asbrooks

@bikeandboots
    Thanks for the feedback.

I’ll keep looking, I haven’t had a pedal strike in a long time, but I tend to wear longish socks even in the summer to keep brambles off.
    Thanks again

redthunder
    Free Member

Footy shins from Sports Direct or similar … £5

Job, Jobbed.

hopefiendboy

Leftfield suggestion- and one that worked by chance for me- G form elbow pads (fairly lightweight) but go a size up and use them over your shins like a calf cover. I just use regular poly socks, these and knee pads, sorted. Mine are yellow so look rank but hey I don’t care lol. Also available in black. I have also started to use the 7idp ankle guards as a supplement. Sorted.

mrdestructo

I’ve got near perfect fitting knee/shin protection in Leatt hybrid 3DO. I think a magazine poll once said only 45% of riders are happy with fit with this type of armour.

I was initially only looking for shin protection like the old wraparound Fox bmx-style ones I used to have.

eckinspain
    Free Member

What about that material that is soft and flexible but turns hard when you strike it hard. A bit like silly putty but a military version!

asbrooks

I’ve ordered some mitre Aircell sleeve football shin pads. I’ll see how they go for now, at least until I get used to the winter conditions.

Thanks for the advice and ideas

asbrooks

Well, I’ve used the football shin pads quite a lot since getting them. They have saved my shins many times. In fact I had a bit of an off this morning, my foot slipped off a pedal and it wacked me at full force of the landing of a drop. OMG it hurt, I don’t want to think how much worse it would have been without the pads.
    Anyway new shoes arrived today so no more slipping of the pedals.. I hope.

I’ll be changing them for something like these Linky because the sleeves don’t really stay in place.

breadcrumb

My mate uses the Ion socks and rates them. I consider then every time I have a rock strike to the shin, but then back out of spending £30 on a pair of socks.

^this. The ION socks are quality.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.