Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • so… you’re going bald….
  • robgclarkson
    Free Member

asked this on another forum and the results were fairly compelling, what does STW think?

i’m thinning up top, and i have been for about 15 years truth be known, but i think now is the time to bite the bullet and have a grade 2 all over… it doesn’t look too bad when dressed correctly, and at 6’1″ most people don’t get to see the top of my head that often, but the bare horrifying truth can be seen in pic 2….

so, what would you do? interested to canvass female opinion, i’ve only really heard from blokes so far… my wife is in denial that there’s even a problem.. and i suppose right now there probably isn’t one, but it’s coming… oh lord it’s coming… i just don’t want to be “that chap” holding on to his remaining hairs that bit longer than he ought…anyway, i present the evidence:

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, less is more my friend, time to go short!!! 🙂

darrell
    Free Member

just do it and never have to think about what you look like again

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Dude, the time isn’t ‘coming’, it’s gone.

Same happened to me over 20 years ago in late 20s. Realised that my sharkie was actually looking like a comb-over/ephemeral nest of fluff.  Half the male side of the family have MPB.

Clippers. Set to zero.  No need to totally shave it all off, which is ironically a high-maintenance option.  Just super-short.  If you get bored and want to have  folicular fun grow beards, taches, etc. Or leave the ‘island’ when clipping.  You’ll have a small nohawk.  Or go Terry Nutkin if you’re really brave.   Anything is better than attempting to disguise it.  The anti-bald stigma of yesteryore is just not nearly so strong these days, so enjoy.

Bald is brave.  You’ll be free of hair-anxiety.  Feels great in the pool too.  No snagging.  No grease.  No dandruff.  No barber-bills.  No fashion worries.  Clip, oil and go.

Edit:  in-before anyone else  😉

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

You’v already held onto your remaining hair for too long. Get busy with the graders.

maccruiskeen

my wife is in denial that there’s even a problem..

she’s lying to you. She knows full well that if you could restore your luxuriant bouffant locks hoards of amorous women will beat the door down and drag you away. She wants to keep you ugly and keep her to herself. After all, who else is going to open jars if you’re gone.

Free yourself of this tyranny. Buy a wig.

PMK2060

Definitely time to get the clippers out or a hair transplant.

I was not wealthy or vain enough for an hair transplant so now sport a ‘No. 2’ cut all over.

Blackflag
    Free Member

No need to shave your head totally. Its a bit of an overreaction where men loose a bit of hair and immediately go for a no2 crop. As long as you dont look like your trying to cover any baldness with tactical hair placement or hairspray its fine. A short crop can look very agro on some people, so yes you can go a bit shorter but keep a little bit on top to avoid that “Britain First” look.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Happy Birthday!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

my wife is in denial that there’s even a problem

She sure is. Anyway, you know the score. Think of all the money saved at the barbers.

Esme
    Free Member

“interested to canvass female opinion”

On STW? Ha ha ha!!

Yes, get rid of it. But maybe wait until the weather warms up . . .

Yak

Yeah, just get the clippers on it. It’ll look and feel much better.

the-muffin-man

I dream of such a fine mop of hair.

jekkyl

lol great thread. I’m going bald from an ever increasing spot on the crown of my head. My philisophy is… why worry?! you have a wife, you’re getting older, wiser and hopefully richer, worry about things you can control.

whitestone
    Free Member

I started going bald in my early to mid twenties. Got to mid thirties and I was looking like a monk! Got my then girlfriend now wife to shave it all off and been bald/shaven headed ever since. At the time it wasn’t a common look (this was before the likes of David Beckham followed my lead 😉 ) so I got a lot of stares.

maccruiskeen

Clippers. Set to zero.

the trouble with clippers is you either have the head/face for it of you haven’t. Work your way to zero rather than jump straight in. Too short is too short for me.  Around about a No4 works fine.

No2 makes me look like I’ve escaped from a secure unit

No1 makes me look like the guy tasked with making sure No2 doesn’t escape again

No0 looks like it would never even cross my mind to try and escape

globalti
    Free Member

The problem with shaving the head is that the look doesn’t suit every head shape. I would go for a no. 4 and see how that looks before really committing.

Mine started to go like that when I was about 20, what I disliked was the semi-detached quiff. My son is 19 and his is going exactly the same way, poor lad. But at least he’s ready for it and seems to have the right mindset.

RoterStern
    Free Member

In the first photo you can practically see what you’d look like with a shaven head. I’d say go for the nr0 but keep the beard. It’s what all my follically challenged friends do.

weeksy

No2 makes me look like I’ve escaped from a secure unit

No1 makes me look like the guy tasked with making sure No2 doesn’t escape again

No0 looks like it would never even cross my mind to try and escape

Yup…. I look like a thug if i go too short…. I got the wife to do mine on Sunday, it’s currently borderline No2.

cinnamon_girl

I think you need good advice and obviously that has to be from a female so, assuming that female barbers don’t exist, would you consider going to a well regarded unisex salon for an appointment with a female stylist?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

the trouble with clippers is you either have the head/face for it

True.  Stereotypes + aesthetics are a thing.

Easy to try it out and gauge the response.  Just for the experience if anything!  It grows back The regrow will at a certain point let you know how long is ‘too long’.

Or go Nutkin.  Nothing is less-threatening than Nutkin.

mintimperial

my wife is in denial that there’s even a problem..

I’m in the same position, very similar hairline, but my missus won’t let me shave my head completely so I’m stuck with the in-denial/doesn’t-care look – although, to be fair, I don’t actually care that much, the main reason I’d prefer to clipper it all is that it would avoid the chore of having to go for a haircut every month to keep it tidy.

Even if you don’t go for a full all over #1 I think you should probably keep it shorter than you have it there. Either that, or go for the full-on Bill Bailey/Terry Nutkins look.

MrSmith
    Free Member

you haven’t got a funny shape head so it will be fine.

grade 2 and no guard on the bit in the front/middle as single odd hairs stand out

you will be past caring about hair/looks/opinions once done, or at least you should be.

perchypanther
    Free Member

4 on the top, 2 at the sides.

assuming that female barbers don’t exist

incorrect assumption. I’ve never had my hair cut by either an amateur or a man.

z1ppy

Dude, I feel you pain, literally.. g/f says don’t do it but I get my photo taken for ID’s on entries to buildings. It’s there on my badge reminding me, that I’ve more face to wash everyday

I’ve had long hair since I was 18 (mid 40’s now), as it was easier than going to the barber regularly, so it’s going to be a shock when it does happen

robgclarkson
    Free Member

yeah… opinion seems to be the same no matter who i ask….

next week then.. ah, sweet sweet hair… we’ve had some great times together *looks longingly into middle distance*

ferrals
    Free Member

Why not just go for a tonsure?

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’m not sure, if he had a bit more at the front, I’d agree, but its very long at the mo and once its all shaved off, even with a 4, it will look decidedly different!

Trouble is Rob, you will need to get it cut every two-three weeks to stop it looking a bit crap, so perhaps no. 2 is the way and buy some decent clippers now and save yourself a fortune!

wordnumb
    Free Member

First shot looks like you’ve been riding so fast it’s dragged your hairline back a bit. Cheer up, it’s your birthday, or somebody’s birthday…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Words of wisdom from my mum  ( a hairdresser and barber for 40 odd years……)

“Never get a haircut that looks as though you didn’t pay for it”

oldtalent
    Free Member

Get a hair job. Sure it costs the same as a decent bike, but what would make you happier? Having a new bike or having a full head of hair ?

aracer
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl wrote:

assuming that female barbers don’t exist

My last cut was with a female barber – best haircut I’ve had (whilst I have a receding hairline I’m fortunate enough to still be way off the OP’s situation, so had it cut a bit longer than I usually do – though given it was over a year since the previous cut it was still a lot shorter than before!) I’m reminded that it’s probably about time for another one.

Keando

Had similar issues been losing hair since teens (now late 50’s so not quite as relevant for age). But went to barbers for haircut and got charge what I thought was an extortionate amount for a hair cut and beard trim. That was the last time I entered such a place. Went and bought some clippers and did it myself from that day forward. A number of years later a colleague was going through Chemo so shaved what remained off in support and never looked back. My wife had commented that it was an improvement as I was strating to look like a monk…

maccruiskeen

… 38 at the back

LimboJimbo

Having been there myself, I would say get thee shorn! Mrs LJ was the major obstacle between me and a clippered bonce, but when she finally conceded, she said I should have done it years ago. I get her to cut it once a week now and it’s nice not to ever worry about what it looks like. Budget for hats in winter and (lots) of sun cream in summer though.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Er ……… I don’t think I have read the correct and quite frankly obvious answer …. Bobby Charlton 60’s and 70’s. Job Done!

fasthaggis

Get a wig..

Hair is power ..

hair is power

binners

I’m sorry to break it to you but you look like Bobby Charlton. 🙂

just rorm the lot off with clippers with no guard and have done with it! It’s, like TOTALLY. Liberating, dooooood!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Top notch.  Lucky.

bodgy
    Free Member

I don’t advise a haircut man. Hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hair are your aerials; the pick up the signals of the cosmos and direct them into your head.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘so… you’re going bald….’ is closed to new replies.