Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)
  • so… you’re going bald….
  • batfink
    Free Member

I tried to hold-out for too-long in my 30s – my haircuts getting shorter and shorter, eventually I bit the bullet and went for a 2 all over.  Massive anticlimax: nobody noticed the difference.  It’s only an issue in your head.

Within a haircut or two, I was down to a zero.  I love it.  You don’t realize how self-conscious you were about it, until suddenly it becomes a total non-issue.  It looks a hundred times better – and hair becomes something that other people need think about.

Go in hard with a zero – you won’t regret it

mikertroid
    Free Member

Another baldie here….

Currently at a grade 5 but slightly Germanic features prevent me from going further for now….

Last time I went to a zero, I looked like an Eastern European thug/Neo Nazi. I wasn’t overly comfortable with that look!!

hodgynd
    Free Member

Mrs says ..grade 2 sides & back and 3 on top for your first “cut ” ..

Definitely go to a barbers first time ..

If you are comfortable with that you can always go shorter …she is talking from 18 years experience as a stylist ( both women and men ) .

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robgclarkson
    Free Member

3 pages!!! wow… thanks for all the input here people….

i think the main thing i’ve taken from this is i look ok with lego hair…

and i’m a grumpy looking so-and-so (but that’s not new info!)

handybar
    Free Member

Cropping is liberating when you are going bald…but when you are completely bald, i.e. nothing on top at all will grow, you do still feel self-conscious about it, so I can understand why men try the comb over.

I wouldn’t say I’m completely comfortable and I would much prefer to have hair. The cropped look suits me but I’d rather have hair on top to crop in the first place.

To the OP, you are not completely bald, just receding, so as above I’d suggest seeing a stylist and cropping it gradually over time rather than going zero from the off.

bikebouy
    Free Member

NHS Stats reveal (natch) that 50% of Males go Bald by the age of 50..

Male pattern baldness is the most common type of hair loss. The NHS says it affects around half of all men by the age of fifty and usually starts around the late twenties and early thirties. Male pattern baldness generally results in a receding hairline, followed by thinning of the hair on the crown and temples

I’ve never been bothered but the fact of going Bald, but thats probably because I’ve still got all my flowing locks to fluff and posture. But if I was I’d be the first to get the clippers to it, thats a given in my world.

Some of the comments about looking like members of Britain First or Nazis aren’t that helpful IMO, for the simple fact that there are plenty of scary Men out there that have a full head of hair..

Men that look better Bald:

senorj

top thread . fair play op. 🙂

Have you had it cut yet?

“I’m going bald from an ever increasing spot on the crown of my head” – that’s a sun roof.

I have one too.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

monday… i’m on shift until then and all the local barbers are closed when i’ve finished work, plus i’m on the bike this week, if i was in the car i’d have gone this lunch time…. i’m keen to get it done now!!

#empowered #journey

perchypanther
    Free Member

You won’t regret it.

Soon you will realise that hair is an inconvenience and is of  no use to anyone other than fops and dandies.

DezB
    Free Member

Men that look better Bald:

Do they look better bald? Or do they just look good bald?

It definitely changes your appearance… this fella, for example:

zippykona

Op I’m sure you are quite near one of the STW clipper crew.

We will liberate you.

sam_underhill

OK then…..  I’m probably in the “needing to cut it all short club”.  So, what clippers?

zippykona

I’d recommend cordless. You can cut your hair in the shower .

Also good for holidays as once you crop you can’t stop.

perchypanther
    Free Member

OK then…..  I’m probably in the “needing to cut it all short club”.  So, what clippers?

Let the barber choose. First time out, i’d get a professional to do it.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

So, inspired by this thread I’ve literally gone grade 3 all over. I usually have it cut once a month, grade 2 back ‘n sides and trim on top, something like 5 or 6 up there I guess. My crown’s definately been exposing itself and I’ve been looking a bit monk like.

Last time I had it this short was at uni when I had grade 2 all over and a girl had cut a cannabis leaf shape at the back of my head. That was pretty cool as it glowed under neon lights.

Anyway, probably not the best thing to do when I should be priming myself for interviews but **** it. It’s spring and I’m in don’t give a shit mode.

Don’t expect me to be as brave as you and post pics up though OP.

#midlifecrisis

smogmonster

Mine went 20+ years ago, just after my 21st birthday it was getting thinner…initially went for a number 2 all over, soon got bored and started going for a one then onto a zero, and have been ever since, now even when it gets to the length of a number one it gets on my nerves, so its back to the scalp with a Mach 3. Even if i had the option of having hair, i really wouldn’t bother, what a farting about – i’ll never understand the vanity of going for hair transplants.

Nico
    Free Member

i’ll never understand the vanity of going for hair transplants

Because people want to look how they used to look? Even Jean Luc-Picard, who seems to be one of the first that gets trotted out as a “look you can be bald, old, handsome and attractive to women” has admitted (the actor, I mean) that going bald was a miserable experience for him. Fact is it is nice to have the option, and the shaved look is a bit of a cliche anyway.

Coyote
    Free Member

To use the gardening analogy;

“If the lawn won’t grow then might as well have a patio.”

robgclarkson
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>Coyote
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

To use the gardening analogy;

“If the lawn won’t grow then might as well have a patio.”

</div>

astro turf then?!?

DezB
    Free Member

You can always tell it’s astro turf.

bodgy
    Free Member

the shaved look is a bit of a cliche anyway

Oooh, I do like an insulting generalisation.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The shaved look is a bit of a cliche anyway.

That’s so baldist.  Am certainly not going stop clipping, neither grow a Nutkins or an Einstein just to sate the fashionista.  (Actually, saying that, I may go Einstein if I get much older.  If only for the extreme irony!)

rene59
    Free Member

I had a large bald spot appear before I was even eighteen and totally bald on top of my head from twenty onwards. I can barely even remember having hair I’ve been bald so long. I don’t think I’d ever go back to a full head of hair now even if there was a miracle cure available overnight. I started off with it being cut very short and over the years progressed to just shaving it all with a razor. I don’t have the head shape for it really but I don’t care. Nobody has ever gave me any cheek about it either so I must look sufficiently scary to put them off. Being tall and well built helps alot. There is a specific type of woman who goes wild for this look as well for some reason I’ll never fully know but I’ve taken advantage of it on numerous occassions.

MSP

As an alternative to shaving your hair off, you could try a distraction technique. If say, you wore your underpants over the top of your trousers, no one would notice your receding hairline. It works for superman, nobody ever mentions his rapidly expanding bald spot (and he couldn’t do the trumpesque comb over, what with all the flying faster than a speeding bullet and jumping over buildings in a single leap).

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

‘The Cratchit’ is a strong look, but then quite a high risk you’ll be labelled a hipster.  There really is no winning other than being a winner.

muzz
    Free Member

I’m currently flitting between the wall Street and quick fix but am aspiring for the cratchet

zippykona

Or there’s always plan b.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

it is done

senorj

What a dish!

perchypanther
    Free Member

A big improvement. You look a lot less serial killery.

…well, a bit less at least.

zippykona

How do you feel?

I bet you are walking just that bit taller.

Well done it looks good.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

There’s definitely a hint of a hint of a smile, where before there was consternation and uncertainty.

I’d say a win there, OP.   The weekend beckons!

kayak23

You look lush pal.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

thanks all… yeah, zippy, feels goooood man

darrell
    Free Member

much better mate and almost looking happy

robgclarkson
    Free Member

that’s me doing a cheesy grin!!!

DezB
    Free Member

Still need a bloody shave.

bikebouy
    Free Member

*Swoons

funkmasterp

I used to be Pirate Extra and I’m now just a lowly Bruce Willis 😕

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Are you in a Poundland car park?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘so… you’re going bald….’ is closed to new replies.