• This topic has 46 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • So you own a small retail business…
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

…of 3 employees and a 4th in the summer. Early in January, when the first summer holiday request comes in, you pin up a wall-planner and tell your staff that there are certain periods in the year that they can’t take holidays (you don’t explain why, but it’s obvious that it’s because you want the time off).

Those periods total 9 weeks and include 1 August – 14 September.

Are you a ****?

jam-bo

You are an employee. Suck it up buttercup…

allthepies
    Free Member

include 1 August – 14 September.

😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tell me something I don’t know jambo.

I will more than likely be voting with my feet for this and many other reasons.

midlifecrashes

1 August-14 September is a PITA, less so in Scotland where school breaks are longer. With 5 bodies around, couldn’t 2 be away at once?

mos

If your in charge then i suppose you can do what you want. However, if one of the things that you want, is for people to respect you, then you don’t do stuff like that.

wwaswas

I suspect the dates will narrow down once they’ve worked out when during the school hols they want to go away.

seems pretty poor, though. I can see someone with kids beign tied to the school holidays but they don;t need to take them all off.

thomthumb
    Free Member

[tj]

union?

[/tj]

oldnick

Deserves all the respect he or she gets. **** indeed.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Fine if you want high staff turn-over.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Boss has no kids.

I just wondered what the hive-mind consensus was. We think he’s a ****, he has form, but this is the most selfish thing he’s done for a while.

Northwind

In my last job in the bank, we got told we could only ever have one person off on holiday, then we were given a list of dates when nobody could be off. So we did the numbers and there were only about 2/3ds as many days in the year as were required for the holiday policy, even if we had someone off absolutely every available day. That was interesting.

Pieface

I’ve known much worse.

Staff unable to take more than 1 day of holiday on weekends unless very special reason, normally always have to work one day on a weekend anyway. Then no holidays at all during school holidays, and also never more than 2 people off at the same time with a total staff number of 6.

Markie
    Free Member

Have you spoken to him about it?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Bit of a dick move ringfencing all of August and half of September. A few weeks here and there, blocks of two or even 3 wouldn’t be nearly as bad. So yes, a bit of a ****.

Sneaky edit time…. Cough…

seba560
    Free Member

Ring fencing? 🙂

ojom
    Free Member

Is there a Unicorn?

Philby

Totally unreasonable IMO. He/she might get first choice of breaks but to effectively block out that whole period is selfish beyond belief.

Drac

Rotten trick but perfectly legal.

scaredypants

tell him that you’ll ALL be giving notice that you’re quitting for August 1st – as long as you’ve all got the bottle

It’s like a union, just a bit scarier

you could all book the last day in july off as a joint leaving do – you know, on the planner

deepreddave
    Free Member

cynic- al: come see me on Monday and we’ll talk about before you leave 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

DRD: ❓

somouk
    Free Member

Although not illegal it strikes me as a bad way to run a business.

9 weeks holiday in a year is bad enough let alone with it all being in one big chunk. Most people I know don’t get that much holiday and the small business owners mostly don’t take any holiday at all or a week maximum so as they can keep costs down and keep the business running smoothly.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

At least he’s confident that one or more of you can keep the business afloat while he’s away. That’s the only ray of sunshine for you, you’ll be working all summer.

br
    Free Member

So, if you start a fiddle when he goes, you got 9 weeks to make your money 🙂

tbh I’m surprised they are willing to risk been away that long.

Cougar

You need to stop submitting holiday requests and start submitting holiday notifications.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Make an all out effort to find new jobs and all resign from 15th July to 15th August.

deepreddave
    Free Member

cynic-al – sorry poor attempt at humour re being your boss. Guessing you’re confident he doesn’t read this forum! Oh and yes it’s sh1te but presume he’ll make holiday plans asap and revise dates accordingly.

totalshell

on the other side of the fence.. my guys work when i work and have time off when i do..

worked most of xmas but all school holidays from may through august off..

igrf
    Free Member

All that will happen, anyone who wants a holiday will go anyway, if you refuse them they’ll just go to a doctor who will be happy to sign them off for a couple of weeks due to ‘stress ‘ in the workplace and there’s nothing you can do about it.

If you own the business I’d say taking 9 weeks off yourself is irresponsible anyway.

avdave2

If you have no kids why the hell would you want to block book the whole of their holidays off?

geoffj

If you have no kids why the hell would you want to block book the whole of their holidays off?

Scottish school hols tend to run from 1 July to 14 August ish.

Still a ****’s trick though!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

My old boss used to tell us as it was seasonal in the bike shop we couldnt go away in summer holidays. I simply said if you want to keep me for the other 50 weeks of the year tough. He’d say cant you go some other time, id point out the lifts were only open during the summer hols and he’d let me go. This happened yearly.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My old boss used to tell us as it was seasonal in the bike shop we couldnt go away in summer holidays. I simply said if you want to keep me for the other 50 weeks of the year tough

Probably pretty much what I’d do.
    I’d also preempt him and book two weeks off the following summer right then and there.

It’s the only thing that’s non negotiable to me. Holiday. I’m reliable and punctual, and don’t ask for more than I’m due. If he refused I’d probably hand my notice in the day before the no holiday period.

cynic-al
    Free Member

He only works 3 or 4 days a week anyway. He can’t really arsed and has admitted as much.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Was ‘encouraged’ by an ex lbs owner not to take any holidays between April 1st and October 1st.He said he’d make it worth my while by offering a monetary incentive for each week I took outside of this period……£40 😐
    gtf

coolhandluke
    Free Member

IMO, if you treat people like **** they start acting like t**ds

nick1962
    Free Member

If I was your boss I’d deduct all the time you spend on here when your supposed to be working from your entitlement 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

tbf I’m a t**d to begin with so they have to get creative.

Candodavid
    Free Member

I have the problem of making sure everyone gets there holidays in, 1st come 1st served, no preferences to those with or without kids, as long as I don’t have 2 off at the same time we can normally cope, I would suggest the OP asks to discuss this matter with his line manager, or 1st of all read contract of employment. It needs to be in writing in contract before it can be applied.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘So you own a small retail business…’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM