Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • So wht new phone?
  • Janesy
    Free Member

I ‘had’ an iPhone 4. Wifey dropped down the loo…. And I need it for work.
    Anyway, logged on to my tmobile Account and my contract is finished. Which phone shall I upgrade to?

Not a fan of the apple. Fails as a phone and call cut out. Us I’m left handed. Anyway, S3? Is this the best one.
    Oh and I would like a contract of no more than 18 months.

Any ideas?

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Iphone 5 dosent suffer from this as the ariel is in a bar instead of a corner. I love mine, i know of two people had the s3 and both just died weeks after purchase, theyre still awaiting new phones as samsung an network provider blaming them as theyve downloaded apps that could cause “issues” htc one x + looks good though but theyre only on 2yr deals.

JoeBones
    Free Member

I have to be honest, I dislike anything with androis and find iphone hard to go past.

Maybe have a look at the new Blackberry 10?

Cletus

Buy a Nexus 4 and then get a SIM only deal. Nearly half the price of the iPhone 5 (£279 compared to £529 for a 16MB model)

nickhart
    Free Member

well happy with a nokia windows phone here. just to be a black sheep

cranaz
    Free Member

Me and the wife both have S3’s and love them, much better than the iPhones they replaced. No issues after 5 months of use with either.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Nokia 820 here with windows 8 OS. Loving it so far, very easy to use and to set up your calls, messages and e-mail all in one place. Much more intuitive than android in my albeit limited experience.

raisinhat
    Free Member

Since RIM is circling the drain as a company you’re better off deciding what you want the phone to do, and then picking an OS whether it’s Android, iOS, or WP8.

You’ll only get the most out of the iPhone if you already run an apple ecosystem. Android has almost caught up with iOS in terms of apps available, and offers a fair bit more flexibility if you like tweaking and fiddling. WP8 is still lagging behind in terms of app store ecosystem.

It really depends on your usage and preferences, there’s not clear cut winners and losers any more.

Cougar

That’s a pretty good summary IMHO.

samuri
    Free Member

I’d hang fire on RIM’s demise myself. New CEO, different way of doing things, the new year will bring some interesting developments.

Anyway, I’ve literally just had my son come into the room and he’s finally activated his new windows phone. He thinks it’s brilliant, and that’s after two years using iPhones and android phones.

JoeBones
    Free Member

Do you think windows have a good product now?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Buy a Nexus 4 and then get a SIM only deal.

I emailed Google find out when they’re back in stock. They said the week after the consignment of Unicorn tears arrives.

rj
    Free Member

I’ve had an HTC One X+ for about a month now. Can’t fault it; good screen, plenty quick and looks a lot better than my mates S3 which to my eyes is a bit cheap and nasty looking. You also get 2 years of 25Gb Dropbox with it.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

The first big question is have you invested in many apps/content from a certain provider? Choose your OS then pick a phone…

I was lucky enough to get a Nexus 4 a couple of weeks ago on the 2nd wave of orders but think it’s back ordered at the moment so potentially quite a wait. Brilliant bit of kit though, I have a Nexus 7 tablet and they work very well together.

However, had a play with a mates Lumia on Windows and the OS is very impressive, slick and has some great features. Not many apps yet but they will come. I really liked the music features on there – create playlists and download for free.

Janesy
    Free Member

That’s for the input. Sorry about the terrible English in the OP.

Haze

One X+ also, very happy with it.

No SD card slot but 64gb internal more than makes up for it, also 25gb drop box in the unlikely event of me ever running low on space.

Runs brilliantly, very slick interface and I really like HTC sense, wish I could have it on my nexus 7.

st

I’m the same boat here but everything that looks good enough to replace my original HTC Desire seems absolutely massive by comparison. I just want something that betters what I have now without being a brick.

IPhone seems the closest but stuffs up my ideas of a modest handset spend and a switch to giffgaff.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Samsung S3 here and very happy just got the jb update and it’s now better lots of little tweaks really. Perfect work phone with all my Google linked in and work contacts synced (we use Google apps at work) great for email and the rest. Used hangouts and Skype on normal connection along with go to meeting. If it’s a true office workhorse look at the note 2 also. Never struggled to find an app. If people cba to look outside of apple then their website works just fine. Chrome is now very stable on it and syncs to the desktop accounts.

Battery is good considering the size. The size isn’t the issue people keep bleeding on about really.

Haze

St – I went from a Wildfire to a One X+, had my ‘concerns’ about the size but never really noticed it after a few days.

Started using a tablet a couple of weeks later and the phone seems quite small now.

It’s all relative of course, picking the Wildfire back up and I can’t believe I got by on it.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I still have iPhone love. Went from a 3GS to a 32GB 4S and its ace.

takisawa2

Mulling over the Note 2 & HTC OneX+ here. Was dead set on the Note2 but watching some of the YouTUBE reviews they picked up on the HTC browser having something that auto adjusts text to fit how you’ve zoomed the screen, whereas the Note2 you have to scroll from side to side. Only a small thing but on reflection its something that I’ve always liked about the browser on my Desire HD. The Note comes out dearer, cheapest is £28p/m with free handset, the OneX+ can be had for £21 but both 24months.

properbikeco
    Free Member

orange san diego if you are remotely technically minded…

warton
    Free Member

I have an S3 after an Iphone 4 and it is terrible. slow, freezes, apps crash,battery is shit, inputting text is a disaster, doesn’t integrate social media as well as an iPhone. I hate it. buying an old 4s so I can ditch it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have an S3 after an Iphone 4 and it is terrible. slow, freezes, apps crash,battery is shit, inputting text is a disaster, doesn’t integrate social media as well as an iPhone. I hate it. buying an old 4s so I can ditch it.

Have you taken it back to the shop? The facebook android app is poor but the website works fine. I can type long emails and plenty of replies on here. Battery is good with sensible settings (not full brightness etc) I easily get a day of good use out of it.

grum
    Free Member

+1 exactly. My 4S is a great bit of kit IMO.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From the OP

Not a fan of the apple.

from replies

grum – Member
    +1 exactly. My 4S is a great bit of kit IMO.

grum
    Free Member

He said he didn’t like the iPhone 4 because of calls cutting out. I believe that issue was sorted with the 4S. Don’t let me get in the way of your rabid apple hating though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t let me get in the way of your rabid apple hating though.

Not at all just in the other non fruit based devices are available. Some different, some worse some better.

warton
    Free Member

mikesmith

I find the predictive text very hard to use. for example if I went to type ‘it’ but I accidentally hit u instead of I, I automatically Get ‘UTStarcom’.

so yoyo get yo the bed off a text abducted look back through it abducted yoyo gave nonsense.

see what I mean?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve seen a couple of those but not too many generally getting the first letter wrong does make it harder… i thnk you can swap the keyboard and predictive out for a different one if you want. the google handwriting version was a bit of fun to try. The note stylus version works really well.

Pieface

S2 can be had quite cheaply. Comes with latest android OS and is quite a nice slim phone. Also due to true availability of cheap replacement bodies there’s no need to wrap it up in a naff silicon skin.

midlifecrashes

I’m rather liking my Motorola Razr i. Fast, small enough to go in the jeans pocket, gorilla glass, carbon fibre back and splashproof, good screen and Android 4.0 with upgrades promised. Takes smaller SIM and SD card and can be had pretty cheap as they still haven’t become fashionable. Good battery too.

Janesy
    Free Member

Ive ordered the HTC 8X windows 8 phone.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘So wht new phone?’ is closed to new replies.