• This topic has 68 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • So who’s got the new 12speed SunRace Kit?
  • transition1
    Free Member

i was running the new MX80 rear derailleur with a Sram X1 shifter & 11 speed 11-46 sunrace cassette with KMC X11-93 chain now running it with Sram XX1 shifter off the bay & X12 KMC chain & sunrace 11-50 cassette, works ok although need to tweek B screw a bit more. I do have a sunrace shifter but do like a Sram shifter. just doing a bit of experimenting..

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

First ride with Sunrace kit behind me.

2 things.

Not sure if I mounted oval ring correctly, BTW how should it be?

Shifting is a bit on the slow and soft side in comparison to SRAM 9 speed. Might be it just require fine tuning, but I’m rather not expecting miracles.

Cheers!

I.

tdog
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve yet to try mine offroad until my sagging reverb is sorted but that yes shifting is super light & soft going up to large ring out back from just above half way.

seems excellent kit so far. Tricky moving rear mech over when removing wheel though (mammoth task of saving fingers etc).

my rear mech makes a grindy noise when attempting this but fine in use. Guess spring needs to bed in. :/

swanny853

Took a punt on this instead of gx eagle. All I can say so far is incredibly, incredibly disappointed. Fitted for last weekend, had a nice test ride to get it all settled and I was feeling pretty happy with it. Long weekend away in Wales, riding yesterday and today, so on its third ride, the plastic and aluminium arms supporting the pulley wheel have snapped/collapsed. Shifting had started going odd and when I stopped to have a look the whole pulley wheel structure was hanging off the cable.

To add insult to injury the ‘sram way’ of pushing the shifter release is sticking in the pushed position.

Poopscoop

Ah,I see what you mean. The sramesque pulley that guides the cable into the mech to get rid of the outer cable loop of old…

That’s a shame mate as it looked like this could be a good alternative to the big two.

Any possibility something hit it? In the pics it does look very exposed.

tdog
    Free Member

It is exposed indeed.

Started off fine with smooth shifting into big ring out back now wee bit rougher.

Still an improvement on XT 8000 mind.

Though SR shifter could be more defined and let me know it’s shifted smoothly with confirmed action.
    Shifter could be better quality all in all.

swanny853

It’s sort of exposed- sticks out the back but doesn’t really protrude beyond the body of the mech sideways. Granted, it’s not impossible that something hit it but it’d have to be on a pretty odd trajectory to miss the body of the mech and the lower arm. I don’t think anything did.

The thing is, it’s just under engineered. All of the light grey bit that you can see in the picture above is some sort of plastic and basically just rests against the mech body. The side you can’t see is a thin (probably) aluminium plate- it holds the other side of the wheel, the plastic bit bolts to it at the top and it in turn bolts to the mech. While it’s all pretty sturdy while it’s all working and the reaction force on the jockey wheel is pushing it into place, as far as I can tell once one bit gets a bit weak the rest starts taking twisting loads and goes pop. The plastic snapped in two where the ‘arm’ meets the base plate.

Going to be interested to hear what sunrace say and whether that bit is available as warranty.

On a plus note- after much attempted bodgery with zip ties I gave up and just accepted the cable was going to fray from the angle and just ran it without the pulley. Shifting felt horrible but on the while it soldiered on for the rest of the weekend.

pedlad

I’ve got it on the big bike and really like the shifting but not put a lot of miles on it yet. Will watch that part but it’s only got to support the cable tension as you shift so it does sound like it may have been struck/leaned against a rock?
    Hope it isn’t a quality issue as was already considering converting the hardtail so I have consistency of chains/cassettes.

swanny853

As I say, anything is possible, but I don’t think so. I’ll have a really careful look once I’ve got it cleaned up. It’s a shame as while it was working I rather liked it.

Do you have any trouble getting the back wheel out as it’s incredibly fiddly on my bike- wasn’t sure if that was down to the particular combination of bike and mech though.

Poopscoop

Any chance of a pic of the broken mech mate?

Postimage.org is a quick hosting site for here…Just click on “forum not link” once uploaded.

Sorry if you already know all that, don’t mean to be teaching you how to suck eggs.Lol

dingabell
    Free Member

Just thought I’d ressurect this thread now I’ve switched to SunRace 12spd from Shimano.
    In a nutshell….. I will definitely be going back to Shimano.
    I’ve only had three rides on the new SunRace stuff but already the clutch on the derailleur has stopped working, the shifter (as mentioned by someone else) is sticking in the forward position and the cassette seems to be dragging on my freehub almost as if it’s a tiny bit too wide.
    Basically none of it seems to be very well engineered. It was always going to be a gamble switching from Shimano but I now wish I hadn’t.

tdog
    Free Member

Yeah to remove my rear wheel is a MAJOR finger cursing battle

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Last Monday test on Snowdon.

Up Llanberis, down Rangers with gravel motorway up to Telegraph Valley in between.

No issues, shifting good, but indeed it tend to stick on the biggest cog of a cassette a bit.

Might be I cut my chain a bit too short.

Apart of that no issues whatsoever.

Cheers!
    I.

swanny853

Right, apologies those who asked questions- I’ve had a mad month and haven’t had time to get the mech off the bike until now.

Interesting it’s not just me having a problem with the shifter sticking. Ivan- I’m not sure I want to say it but that’s the second ride I did on mine, watch out!

I emailed the shop and they want it back to send off to sunrace to inspect. Which would be annoying with a 3 week or so wait. It’s especially annoying because even if they replaced the part I’m not sure I’d trust it in future. Tempting to do some tin bashing and attempt to replace it myself. If it hadn’t felt like an expensive month already I’d probably have GX on there by now.

tdog
    Free Member

Daaaaaamn mane! That is a royal pita!

pedlad

Another instance here of broken guide pulley :-<
    Pretty certain it wasn’t an impact – trying to raise a warranty claim with the (online) retailer, but if it’s a design flaw then that might be only temporary relief.
    Shame as the price/weight and quality of shifting are all great.

swanny853

Sorry to hear that. I bodged something together with a bit of sheet metal as a temporary fix but to be honest I just don’t trust it and think slx 12s is looking likely in my future

tdog
    Free Member

Likewise. SLX 12spd with a poss XTR shifter.

pedlad

Does anyone know if the Sunrace shifter and 50t cassette would work with an SLX 12spd derailleur?

tdog
    Free Member

I would errrr on the side of probs but do not actually know for sure one way or another.

swanny853

I cant see any reason why the cassette wouldn’t- I ended up buying slx mech and shifter and they work fine with a sram cassette. The slx shifter is just better though, definitely go for it.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Has anyone taken the SunRace shifter apart to see why it’s so crap?
    Might do that tomorrow.

tdog
    Free Member

No however the SR shifter has so much play and no actuating to it that I am half tempted to ditch it. In favour for a much more pro active one

pedlad

So after a good 6 weeks of chasing the retailer they finally refunded. Bike-discount.de

I’d suggested that this seemed to be a design fault given the other reports and assumed that they’d refunded rather than replaced because it had been agreed. As I’d bought it with the shifter as a groupset upgrade pack I made the point I needed the shifter refunding also, in order to switch to Shimano, but they won’t agreed to that which is disappointing.

So to get the bloddy bike up and running again I’ve ended up ordering another Sunrace derailleur. Suspect it will be a case of madness to try the same thing that didn’t work…..

tdog
    Free Member

Is anyone else finding it impossible to remove their rear wheel ?

Am I correct in thinking that the SUNRACE Dropout Extender would help this if I fitted one?

Thanks 🙂

swanny853

I’d still recommend buying slx tbh, a good few miles and one alps trip later and I’m still very happpy with it

seadog101

I got hold of an MX mech and have mated it to 10 speed Sunrace cassette/Zee 10 speed shifter.

Works fine, lets see how long the pulley wheel lasts!

tdog
    Free Member

I want to get my monies worth out of the SR mech first though

Just unsure of how to improve not being able to remove rear wheel

I believe it is a medium cage length cage hence my question needing answered on the dropout extender?

tdog
    Free Member

Answers on a postcard…

😜

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘So who’s got the new 12speed SunRace Kit?’ is closed to new replies.