Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • so who won solo mens at mayhem ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

as above …im slightly impatient ! Mikes K/Oed somewhere and not texting back !

Surfr
    Free Member

Matt Page and he proposed on the finish line!

boxelder

Proposed what?

crazy-legs

Proposed to his girlfriend.

rOcKeTdOg

did he manage the 24 laps, last i saw he was upto 22

trail_rat
    Free Member

nice ! Nia will be happy !

Good man ! i hoped he would do it(win) this year. No disrespect to the others but i know how bad he has wanted to win mayhem !

crazy-legs

I heard 25 laps, not really sure though as I wasn’t at the prize presentation, it was the talk from the lurkers at about 1.58pm! 😉

Scott team won the Elites with 33 laps, one lap up on USE.

martyntr
    Free Member

Great news… Matt Page is honestly one of the most modest and nice guys I’ve met in MTBing. I met Nia this year at the Dyf, congratulations to you both and I wish you every success in the future..

njee20
    Free Member

I do feel sorry for Ian Leitch though, would likely have had it in the bag, but broke his collar bone a couple of weeks ago.

Still, awesome result for Matt.

monotokpoint
    Free Member

Does anyone know where the results will be posted? And photos too?

trail_rat
    Free Member

results appear on the front page of here tomorrow or tuesday usually ….

monotokpoint
    Free Member

cool 😀

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Big well done to Nick Craig and the Scott team,another great ambassador for our sport and good all round egg.

all the best to Matt and Nia as well for a well earned,and appropriate cheer at the end !
    😉

mattbee

As I understand it from his race mechanic, who’s a friends of mine, a good Mayhem was instrumental in securing his sponsorship package for next year. Well done to him, and to all the riders for that matter, my last Mayhem was 2002!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

A big thank you to everyone who was cheering me on during the race. The support I was getting from others racing and spectators was fantastic and made a massive difference.

I completed 26 laps in the end. Starting my final lap at 23hrs 40min into the race.

I do feel sorry for Ian Leitch though, would likely have had it in the bag, but broke his collar bone a couple of weeks ago.

Although you may not believe me, I was gutted when he told me as well as we were both looking forward to the showdown. But I can’t race against people who are not there and anything can happen in a 24hr race, so your comment is unjustified.

Hopefully Ian will mend soon and we can go head-to-head at another event in the year.

cakefest
    Free Member

mtbmatt, big congrats from a mixed team rider. i can’t even imagine what it was like slogging up that kenda climb 25 times. fantastic effort, and good effort on the proposal too. you’re a gentleman.

one thing that’s got me totally mystified is how you even start to recover from an effort like this. according to the PA it’s about 700calories per lap so that means you’ve used up 17,500 calories. how do you start to replace them? what do you eat/drink in the next few days? other than the champagne of course.

and during the race are you looking to take in that many calories – replacing them as you use them up? or do you try to minimise the losses, instead, and eat what you can/feel like/need to at the lower end of the need scale?

any insights into your approach??

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I guess every soloist will have a different approach, but your right that you burn a huge amount of calories and I don’t believe its possible to replace the amount used.

One of the hardest things when soloing is making yourself eat when perhaps you don’t want to. Luckily I didn’t feel like that at all during the race, which was a first for me.
    Climbing the Kenda Climb wasn’t too bad to be honest. I climbed it in the same gear every lap in order to stay consistent and didn’t use the granny ring at all during the race.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

well done mtbmatt, and i assume she said yes 😀

rickk

mtbmatt – congratulations on the win and engagement from a fellow soloist.
    26 laps is mind boggling – on my results so far I will need 3 events before I catch up with your lap count from this year – or looked at another way add my laps from this year to my brother’s (also soloing) and you’re still ahead.

And to rub it in you never used the granny ring??

My hat is off to you.

bigsi
    Free Member

mtbmatt – Congrats on your win and engagement. You went past me at the entrance to the off camber singletrack on the last lap as i jumped out the way saying something like you’re Matt Page aren’t you? Didn’t catch what you said back but before i got a chance to say good luck you had gone.

So a belated goodluck and well done again 😀

Surfr
    Free Member

Firstly Llongyfarchiadau Matt a Nia 😀 for the win and engagement!

Secondly, Matt I’m dieing to know if the pros were suffering as badly as I was on 12 year old tyres (which were rubbish when new!) in the muddy ruts. Any walking/running or did you stay clipped in and ride out the lot?

jezzer

Climbing the Kenda Climb wasn’t too bad to be honest. I climbed it in the same gear every lap in order to stay consistent and didn’t use the granny ring at all during the race.

😯

Congratulations on the win Matt, I was amazed and honestly humbled by the fact you’d ridden 26 laps. To find out you’d not even dropped into the granny ring is just something else, I simply cannot comprehend how you did that or the effort and training that must go in. Amazing.

RabbitStu
    Free Member

well done Matt. I reckon it was our pot banging sunday morning that clinched it for you though ;).

and what and ending. I wish you and you fiance the best.

doughnuthead
    Free Member

…who won the women’s?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Secondly, Matt I’m dieing to know if the pros were suffering as badly as I was on 12 year old tyres (which were rubbish when new!) in the muddy ruts. Any walking/running or did you stay clipped in and ride out the lot?

I slipped off and walked once or twice on the climb to the cottage, but rode it fine almost every lap even with a slick rear tyre. The only other bit I had problems with was the off-camber slippy/rooty bank towards the end of the race. Plus one rather funny 180 degree spin on the muddy descent to the pond, but every other lap was fine as long as I had a clear track in front. No crashes or falls though.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Matt, do you know what your average lap time and quickest lap was?

Top work doing 26 laps mate. Amazing

sofaking
    Free Member

mtbmatt
    my hat is off to you.
    great performance.

IHN

Outstanding effort, well done.

Bit tight on your Mrs though, she could hardly say no in front of all those people eh? 😉

cakefest
    Free Member

mtbmatt, thanks for the response on the calories question. it sounds like you must lose a lot of weight from this kind of event. do you aim to put it back on?

and what are you doing to recover now that it’s over? do you ache/do you feel tired/drained? apologies if this sounds like the Spanish Inquisition. and please feel free to email if you’d prefer (in profile).

Rikoshea
    Free Member

Nice one Matt, It’s good to see all the effort paying off, some people think you are given bikes and just have to ride round and look pretty,
    How many sets of kit do you have or do you float over puddles!
    I managed 17 laps and walked once up the Kenda-although i used the granny-once was enough though, it was a lot harder than spinning!
    Congrats on the engagement, i don’t think there was many there without a tear in their eye.
    I sat lil RT on the top tube and pushed her over the line to Pat-you’ve got to get them started early!!
    See you at Sleepless.
    Rik- Cyclesense

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Matt, do you know what your average lap time and quickest lap was?

Wont know for sure until the results are out, but my first lap was ~45min including the run, then settled into 50-53 minute laps I think. Later in the race lap times were nearer 1hr, with the odd one a little over. I was able to take it easy on the last lap, which was my longest of the race, but not sure how long that was.

and what are you doing to recover now that it’s over? do you ache/do you feel tired/drained?

Been feeling OK today. Went out on the bike for 15min just to see how things are. Amazed to find everything still works as normal, including my rear which can still sit on a SLR saddle without any pain, the dhb Knowle shorts are simply amazing! My triceps are hurting the most, which I put down to the course being quite bumpy. I fully expect it all to catch up with me later in the week, usually the 2nd or 3rd day after.

Surfr
    Free Member

Thanks for that Matt. It would appear that I am massively understocked in the skills, fitness and bollocks departments.

Here’s looking forward to my first 4 man at SITS (was in a sporting team of 10 at MM)

will
    Free Member

Massive Congrats! I didn’t do it this year, but a couple of mates did it and completed 16 laps, and their very very fit! So amazed by your effort!

S_Works
    Free Member

A superhuman ride. Amazing. Well done.

martyntr
    Free Member

Here’s looking forward to my first 4 man at SITS

Looking forward to doing it with you Dan. Sylv and the kids are coming too. Their sleeping bags arrived today 🙂

Mtbmatt – Was looking at your lap times and they’re pretty consistent (after the first 2) Good skills…. 🙂

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Yeh, very happy with the lap times.

All within a few minutes up till it got dark and then rained and from then on all around 1hr.
    I think that is my most consistent 12/24hr race to date.

nicks
    Free Member

i think what amazed me was how polite Matt was when passing and even thanking people for the support as he went round! class ride ! well done ! what is next for you ?

nick s ( mule bar solo )

JimSu
    Free Member

Seeing as you seem to be up for a question and answer session! Do you change bikes between laps and do you therefore have more than one number booard?

I still cannot comprehend how you or the other good 24hr guys do it but you have my full admiratuion.
    Jim S

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Do you change bikes between laps and do you therefore have more than one number booard?

I have 2 bikes, although I don’t swap them every lap, just when something needs doing, like oiling a chain, putting lights on, changing tyres. At events where it has been super muddy you are changing bikes every lap, but not at Mayhem this year.

At mayhem Soloists are given 2 number boards. Most events don’t do this, so a marker pen on the back of an old number is the easiest solution.

nick, were you one of the trio (or was it a quad?) or Mule bar guys going round? If so you all seemed to be having a good time going round 🙂
    It pays to be patient and polite. Although seconds count, it is usually a case of more haste, less speed.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

Matt you are a legend, and a credit to the sport, and that you can actually handle your beer, makes you even better in my eyes! whens the stag do?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘so who won solo mens at mayhem ?’ is closed to new replies.