Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 167 total)
  • So, what’s the best film you’ve watched recently?
  • inkster
    Free Member

Sorry to go all art house on your ‘asses but ‘TIMBUKTU’ was on telly the other night (so might be available on catch up).

It’s a film by a director from Mali about the Islamist occupation of Timbuktu, came out a couple of years back and is the best, most beautiful film I’ve seen in a long time.

Another one is ‘THIS IS NOT A FILM’ by Iranian director Jafar Panahi, He was put under house arrest by the gov’t there, so decided to make the film he wanted to make in his own apartment whilst under lockdown. Can’t think of a more appropriate film given the current circumstances.

Definitely not mainstream but all the more brilliant for it. Films that make you think, both of them.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Also, I’d forgotten about watching Memento, the film Nolan made after all the other ones.

tomd
    Free Member

Watched The Platform on Netflix last night. The basic premise is some sort of prison thing with lots of levels, 2 people on each level. A platform of amazing food descends every day but what you get depends on the level you’re on. Every month your level changes.

Not my usual thing, first horror / dystopian nightmare film I’ve seen in ages. Captivating yet absolutely grim.

Well worth a watch. Very little actually happens, I could write the plot on a post it. But the characters are fascinating but you only get glimpses of them.

DezB
    Free Member

Jojo Rabbit – what a wonderful film. Kept meaning to watch it, then after the recommends on here, grabbed a download. Superb stuff from beginning to end, which had a tear or 2 rolling down the cheek.

Switched film off to find Return To Belsen on tv. WW2 from a rather different viewpoint.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Watched a decent one last night called The Room. A hidden room where wishes come true…

spud-face

We were about to watch a Bollywood film on Netflix the other night called The Body until we saw the poor imdb reviews. Turned out the Spanish original is on Amazon prime so we watched that instead. A really gripping thriller, we’re going to give one of the director’s other films (the invisible guest) a go tonight.

verses

I watched Chinatown last night and thought it was excellent. It’s a long way from being a new film but had somehow passed me by until now.

mrhoppy

Zombieland series were both pretty good, 1st one more so IMO. Disengage brain bit of a giggle type films.

bazhall
    Free Member

Just watched Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time and I really enjoyed it.

jimmy

err, so where are people getting JoJoRabbit from? Or shouldn’t I ask.

EDIT: technical error saving this post, trying again

spacemonkey

Started watching BlacKkKlansman last night. Pretty bloody good. Based on the true story of a black cop going undercover to expose the KKK in the 70s. You may wonder how a black dude can achieve that …

chakaping
    Free Member

Is that on one of the streaming services?

Poopscoop

If you can get it….

Color Out of Space

SF/horror..
    Great visuals and genuinely pretty different from most in a crowded genre. Best film Cage has been in, in a while too.👍

DezB
    Free Member

Blackklansman is rental off Youtube.

re: JoJo – as i said, a download. Can’t go into more detail, but you have to investigate. Comes out in May on dvd.

winston
    Free Member

Watched 1917 last night. Awesome.

Also Shape of Water. Saw it at the cinema last year and thought it was excellent but daughter wanted to watch it so watched it last week.

halifaxpete

Already got it on DVD somewhere but Interstellar on one of the movie channels last night. Love that film.

Poopscoop

^^ Interstellar.

Absolutely incredible film. One of my top 3 ever I think.

spacemonkey

We’re watching it on Now TV Sky Cinema.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Watched a lot of mediocre/average stuff lately. Of the ones that I didn’t fall asleep through:

I Am Mother
    Mother
    Prospect
    Joker
    The Lighthouse
    Paradise Hills (A missed opportunity. The reveal and ending should have been much darker and unpalatable without the silly fairy tale villain, Buffy like teen series feel, shame)

Will be watching:

Tigers Are Not Afraid
    Midsommar
    Inheritance
    Greener Grass
    Rojo
    The Cave

Best recentish comedy series IMO is Motherland.

mahalo

Just watched The Invisible Man. Absolutely brilliant

montgomery
    Free Member

The Nightingale

You can pay to view on YouTube. Amazing film, but hard to watch at times.

butcher

The Professor and the Madman.

Who’d have thought a film about writing a dictionary could have been so captivating.

One of those where I immediately had to look up the story to verify its authenticity once the credits started rolling. Would love to know more about the actual evernts.

kimbers

Colour out of soace-isnt that lovecraft?
    Interested

We watched the Handmaiden the other night, Korean/Japanese reselling of Fingersmith, was excellent !

junglistjut
    Free Member

Terminator Dark Fate.

The internet said it was all woke and PC but I really enjoyed it. Sarah Connor’s entrance was awesome, the de-aging CGI worked very well, Carl talking about his curtains got me laughing.

The only bit that bothered me was how obnoxious the augmented lesbian was, especially after Sarah saved both their lives with ease. But she did the decent thing in the end so I won’t hold it against her.

kcr
    Free Member

If you want to watch a film with a rare 100% Rotten Tomatoes rating, the classic Local Hero is on All 4 just now.

metalheart
    Free Member

The best film I’ve seen recently, with a shadow of a doubt, is Pedro Almodóvar’s Dolors y Gloria (Pain & Glory). I’m a big fan of almodóvars any ways but this is just so human… I’d also recommend his Tie me up! tie me down!, Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown, Julieta, Al about my mother and (especially) Volver.

I picked up quite a few things in an end of year round up (inc Midsomer) but 5he standout for me was Roma. I really need to see that on something other than a MacBook screen…

For fans of pretty girl kick ass I enjoyed Columbiana (featuring the green woman from Guardians of the Galaxy). Absolute pish, entertainment.

Oh, I also enjoyed Avengers Assemble…

Another firm favourite of mine is Arrival. Watched it heaps of times…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My favourite girl kick ass film is Haywire, the fights look brutal.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Quarantine 2

DezB
    Free Member

standout for me was Roma. I really need to see that on something other than a MacBook screen…

Could you really sit through that again? I didn’t make one viewing without ffwding through most of it.

dogbone

TV not film but Friday Night Diner – Series 3 Episode 5 – The Piano.

boomerlives
    Free Member

the augmented lesbian

I’d watch that. Is it on Netflix?

metalheart
    Free Member

Could you really sit through that again

Once my hdmi cable arrives I’ll be sure to let you know.

There’s more chance of me rewatching Roma than Midsomer, people with different taste. Who knew, eh?

sofaking
    Free Member

The guilty on Netfix was pretty enagaging for quite a simple idea

funkmasterp

Rewatched Logan last night. Forgot how good it was. I know it’ll probably be hated by most because it’s a superhero movie, but I think it’s brilliant. A classic hero’s journey/western/samurai movie pulled off spectacularly well.

Caher

Rewatched History of Violence last night, forgot what a good film it is.

jimmy

Just watched Fighting with my Family. Typical low key British stuff, but good story and I’ll admit to blubbing my way through it. Think I’m a bit sensitive at the moment 😭

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just watched Independence Day (the first one) and had forgotten what a great film it was at the time (huge plot holes accepted.) I remember seeing it on release and I think it was the first thing I’d seen Will Smith in.
    I won’t bother eith ID Resurgence again though.

colournoise

funkmasterp
    Rewatched Logan last night. Forgot how good it was. I know it’ll probably be hated by most because it’s a superhero movie, but I think it’s brilliant. A classic hero’s journey/western/samurai movie pulled off spectacularly well.

Totally. A genuinely great film that just happens to have superheroes in it.

boomerlives
    Free Member

I watched Jexi on Amazon last night.

It didn’t half make me laugh. Very welcome that was too

IHN

We watched Terminator Dark Fate last night. It was just the right kind of mindless action nonsense that we were looking for to accompany a Bank Holiday takeaway.

And if people are complaining it’s too ‘woke’ because it has strong female lead characters, then, well, that’s their problem.

And, unless I missed something, just cos she’s got short hair doesn’t make her a lesbian.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 167 total)

The topic ‘So, what’s the best film you’ve watched recently?’ is closed to new replies.