Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 167 total)
  • So, what’s the best film you’ve watched recently?
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Happily isolated at the house I’m catching up with stuff I’ve been meaning to watch and rewatching stuff.
    I’ve been working through the Fox War of the Worlds series an episode a night but last night I watched the Nurburgring documentary The Green Hell and Senna. Forgotten how good both of them are.

bearnecessities

The Gentleman
    Shaun the Sheep: Farmageddon

Slightly different plots, but really enjoyed both of them.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

JoJo Rabbit

colp

Enjoyed Once upon a time in Hollywood

fazzini

Layer Cake; Casablanca; Godfather; Fail Safe

amodicumofgnar

For light weight escapism – Eddie the Eagle

For a nostalgic take on things – The Monuments Men

ElShalimo

JoJo Rabbit

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Jojo Rabbit.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Peanut Butter Falcon.

Klunk
    Free Member

Parasite (by a long long way)

mrb123
    Free Member

Yep, another vote for Parasite.

Enjoyed Knives Out too.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Peanut Butter Falcon.

Hadn’t heard of that. Thanks looks great.

DezB
    Free Member

I bumped the Films 2020 thread for this purpose. But hey, 3 haircut threads, why not 2 film threads.

Best I’ve watched lately was Midsommar. Watched it instead of working yesterday, and enjoyed it more 2nd time around.

Of current films, I’d say The Invisible Man. Though it got steadily worse as it went on, the first hour or so was excellent.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Sorry about that Dez. This threads isn’t just for 2020 releases though. I’ve been going through a lot of older stuff.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Secret Life of Pets 2

The Invisible Man

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

The Human Centipede.

richwales

Invisible man
    Goon
    The dead zone

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, yeah – much better than Midsommar – I loaned my DVD of LEON to my son, so ripped it to my NAS beforehand and watched it. What a wonderful film that is. A lot more stylised (Luc Besson-y) than I remembered. But it’s brill. Made me realise why I hate action films so much now, cos they just can’t get close to Leon!
    Some of the 11 yo girl/old bloke stuff is a lot weirder to watch that it was back then, but it gets away with it (just). I warned my kid about those bits!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Have you seen Anna yet? It’s like Nikita meets Haywire.

DezB
    Free Member

Nope. Is that a good thing or not? I liked Nikita, don’t remember Haywire, but I think I’ve seen it.

fooman

Have you seen Anna yet? It’s like Nikita meets Haywire.

I liked it (but then I like most Luc Besson films they are all a little unhinged) I thought it was an interesting take on the sleeper spy story, unfortunately the internet nerdlingers got the hump with it mixing technology like reel to reel tapes and hard drives.

I just introduced my teenage kids to a 40 year old German film with subtitles and they were gripped – Das Boot. It was on Sony Freeview recently .

fazzini

How did I forget Das Boot?? Fantastisch

smudge
    Free Member

Two popes.

Blinded by the light was brilliant and could easily watch again.

Lad – A Yorkshire story. Based on a true story. A teenage boy forms a friendship with a park ranger in the Yorkshire Dales after the death of his father.

Leon – Extended Cut

jimdubleyou

Enjoyed Once upon a time in Hollywood

Yup

I watched “The Crash Reel” as recommended by Ed Leigh the other day (99p on Amazon). Sobering stuff.

johnners
    Free Member

American Woman – from a few months ago but I only saw it recently. Sienna Miller is very good (again).

Best I’ve watched lately was Midsommar. Watched it instead of working yesterday, and enjoyed it more 2nd time around.

I keep meaning to give it a try but I’m a bit put off by the 140 min runtime. Still, it’s available on Prime so maybe…

beefheart
    Free Member

+1 for Peanut Butter Falcon

The Hunt

choppersquad
    Free Member

Sicario 2.
    Really enjoyed it.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Anna

also,

Lucy
    Taxi

While we’re on Luc Besson.

And. I didn’t like The Fifth Element. But if you did you might like Valerian.

IHN

Two Popes

Journeyman

I, Tonya

Good Time

Paddingtons 1 and 2

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

+ Journeyman

franksinatra

The Dawn Wall. A reminder about just how awesome some humans are.

amodicumofgnar

While we’re on Luc Besson.

It’s been a while since I have watched it, I’ll throw Subway into the mix. I liked 5th Element but wasn’t overly taken with Valerian.

Grosse Point Blank – more for the music

pedlad

Green Book – moving, shocking, funny.

DezB
    Free Member

Midsommar…

I keep meaning to give it a try but I’m a bit put off by the 140 min runtime

It’s definitely a slow burner, and probably the pre-credits scenes could’ve been cut right down… Dani’s wailing is a bit overdone! But it’s worth it.

nickc

Not much different, I disliked Jojo Rabbit, as mostly I couldn’t see what it was for, or what it was trying to do. Recently at the cinema, I’ve enjoyed Midsomar, just as it was about not the thing you were watching,  Honorable mentions to : The Favourite, Parasite, The Post, Can you ever Forgive me, The Wife, Dark Waters, The Personal History of David Copperfield. All really great films.

Recently watched Monuments Men again, and enjoyed it more than I thought i would the second time around.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Funny Games. Oooof it’s dark.

martinhutch

Can you stream Parasite in the UK anywhere?

Watched Monsters Inc with my daughter for the first time in ages. She’s 17. Laughed our backsides off.

Lad – A Yorkshire story. Based on a true story. A teenage boy forms a friendship with a park ranger in the Yorkshire Dales after the death of his father.

Also watched this recently. Didn’t think it was my kind of thing, but thought it was great.

RustySpanner

The Limehouse Golem was quite watchable, in a very British, low key, 70’s horror kind of way.

If you have kids, Aeronauts would be spot on.
    Great CGI and a pleasant, feel good story. Very well done and well worth a watch if you need cheering up.

Get Out was brilliant, a bit Stepford Wives in the same way that Midsommar is a bit Wicker Man, but thoroughly enjoyed both of them.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Dark waters is very good, but my go to film in times of need (and I’m not even ashamed of it) is Moana, I’m currently laid up with this shitty virus and that film gave me the only happiness I’ve had for a while.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

at cinema:
    +1 Parasite

in bed:
    First Blood

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 167 total)

The topic ‘So, what’s the best film you’ve watched recently?’ is closed to new replies.