Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • So, What is the UK Constitution?
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Lots of media coverage about “Constitutional Reform”…

But how do you reform something that isn’t even written down. It has always struck me that the “unwritten” bits of the Constitution are the real stumbling blocks to any reform – the Royal Prerogative, the Royal Duchies etc.

I know from some of my previous posts / questions about Cornwall, that we have some well-informed forum members on here. Be interested to know how folks think the current maniacal ranting about various “democratic” options can be implemented without some fundamental change to the core problem – i.e. is the UK a fudge…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

constitutional
    k?nst??tju??(?)n(?)l/Submit
    adjective
    relating to an established set of principles governing a state.
    “a constitutional amendment”
    “a constitutional monarchy”
    synonyms: legal, lawful, legitimate, licit, authorized, permitted, permissible; More
    relating to someone’s nature or physical condition.
    “a constitutional weakness”

You don’t need a constitution to be constitutional

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If it’s a fudge, then it’s a fudge with nuts in it.

binners

Basically its whatever those in power say it is, this week. A bit like the bible, but with fewer miracles, and the book of Revelations extended to cover many more areas

unklehomered
    Free Member

1 – don’t make a fuss
    2 – though shalt queue

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

2 – lol! My GF has not travelled outside the UK much and we were in Switzerland recently. She was quite shocked by the lack of protocol when waiting for, and alighting, buses!

aP
    Free Member

Quite keen on curries, as long as they’re not too hot, unless you’ve had 6 or 7 pints beforehand. Next day, not too good.

DaRC_L

Hmmm lets think of things that have been written down…
    the Bible, the Quran, the US Constitution (e.g. the right to arm bears)

Then let’s think how well that has gone 😕 Maybe NOT having things written down allows a bit of wiggle room and stops the pedants from being revolting.

binners

TAKE THE FIFTH!!!

rkk01
    Free Member

Hmmm lets think of things that have been written down…
    the Bible, the Quran, the US Constitution (e.g. the right to arm bears)

Then let’s think how well that has gone Maybe NOT having things written down allows a bit of wiggle room and stops the pedants from being revolting.

Good point, but makes things difficult to fix if the problems aren’t clearly defined? or do you just muddle along from one compromise to another?

binners

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vJxrf1r0ak[/video]

DaRC_L

or do you just muddle along from one compromise to another?

Welcome to British democracy (or rather our elective oligarchy) – not perfect but looking at the alternative options it’s the best of a bad bunch 😆

Brainflex

No one read the Magna Carta then?

rkk01
    Free Member

Brainflex – Member
    No one read the Magna Carta then?
    POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I thought it was just the Yanks that banged on about Magna Carter… We moved on from that? Added and changed stuff…

crankboy
    Free Member

Magna carta is a pretty piece of paper but about 98% repealed and was only ever a narrow preservation of the “rights” of a very small subsection of society.

crankboy
    Free Member

Sorry 92% repealed.

CountZero

In the United Kingdom, the Bill of Rights is further accompanied by the Magna Carta, the Petition of Right, the Habeas Corpus Act 1679 and the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949 as some of the basic documents of the uncodified British constitution. A separate but similar document, the Claim of Right Act, applies in Scotland. The Bill of Rights (1688 or 1689) was one of the inspirations for the United States Bill of Rights.[3]

Along with the Act of Settlement 1701, the Bill of Rights is still in effect in all Commonwealth realms.[4]

konabunny
    Free Member

the US Constitution (e.g. the right to arm bears)

Then let’s think how well that has gone
    The US Constitution has gone very well. It’s probably the single most influential document in the spread of human and civil rights worldwide. If you think that the US Constitution is just about guaranteeing ursine access to armaments, you’re missing a lot.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘So, What is the UK Constitution?’ is closed to new replies.