Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Part time job, refusing holiday pay
  • ronniethescot
    Free Member

Hi Folks

I need some help/advice

I’ve been working PT at a local golf club, around 250 hrs since the beginning of April, today I asked the accounts department if it would be possible to pay me holiday pay, they are refusing, saying they don’t pay PT workers holiday pay.

I thought I would be entitled to some?

Any thoughts advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ron.

Drac
    gobuchul
    Free Member

Some advice here Holiday entitlement

ronniethescot
    Free Member

Zero hour’s I guess, as and when required

Drac

You’re working about 20hrs a week yeah?

So you get about a week and half to date, roughly. However when they let you take the holiday is up to them.

Zero hour’s I guess, as and when required

That could be the crux of the matter.

That said.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4468

peteimpreza

What does your contract say?

yourmywifenow
    Free Member

Even on zero hour contracts you are entitled to holiday pay for the hours you have worked. I believe it works out at 12.05% so on 250 hours they owe you just over 30 hours

ronniethescot
    Free Member

About 15-20hrs a week

Drac

Make no odds by law you’re entitled to holidays.

ronniethescot
    Free Member

That’s what I thought, I would have let it go, but the accounts guy was a pr11ck.

Haha “we don’t pay people like you holiday pay”

I’ve asked for them to put it in writing that they will not be paying me holiday pay.

What should be my next step?

Thanks again

jota180
    Free Member

I’d just show them a copy of the regulations and see whether or not they’ll change their mind.

You probably wont get any more hours work though.

Drac

Conact ACAS from the link above for confirmation.

Return to your employer ask them again, speak to the main bod and if they still refuse pull out your information from ACAS and ask if they will entitle you to holidays now or do you need to take it further.

You probably wont get any more hours work though.

None constructive dismissal then.

Junkyard
    Free Member

depends on whether you want the job or to get sacked probably 🙁

You are right and they are not nIce but they will just stop giving you work if you kick off

Wait till you are leaving then bring it up IMHO

Make no odds by law you’re entitled to holidays.

scandal42
    Free Member

Go and fill all of the holes in with cement, that’l teach the bastards.

Flaperon

depends on whether you want the job or to get sacked probably

What Junkyard says. I don’t think anyone has successfully challenged this issue anyway, as it would involve an employment tribunal and a marked card for the rest of your life in work.

jota180
    Free Member

If he’s on a zero hours contract, they could give him just that – zero hours

Drac

True dat.

nealglover
    Free Member

What is that ?

vinnyeh

depends on whether you want the job or to get sacked probably
    What Junkyard says. I don’t think anyone has successfully challenged this issue anyway, as it would involve an employment tribunal and a marked card for the rest of your life in work.

If he’s on a zero hours contract, they could give him just that – zero hours

Is this really what people are reduced to accepting? Or just idle speculation on the doomsayers part?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Regardless of a zero hours contract you are still entitled to 28 days holiday per year. The rate you are paid is the average over a 12 week period.

jota180
    Free Member

Is this really what people are reduced to accepting? Or just idle speculation on the doomsayers part?

depressing, isn’t it?

Drac

What is that ?

It’s like Unfair Dismissal but for the dyslexic. 😳

thomthumb
    Free Member

a marked card for the rest of your life in work

nonsense; how would anyone find out?

Drac

don’t think anyone has successfully challenged this issue anyway,

http://www.shlegal.com/knowledge/publications/01_10_Holiday_entitlement_some_good_news_for_employers

edlong
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone has successfully challenged this issue anyway

There have been a number of cases, and rulings.

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s like Unfair Dismissal but for the dyslexic.

He he, I wasn’t being an arse, I honestly thought the “none” bit was adding another element that I’d not heard of 🙂

Flaperon

I worked on a zero hours contract for a FTSE-100 company for over two years, but effectively full-time. During that time I had just under three weeks unpaid leave.

I was a member of a professional association whose legal department decided that it would be unwise to pursue the issue. So if a FTSE-100 company decides it’s legal, it probably is and unlikely to be challenged.

Drac

No it was me mixing words up again. I had the Unfair bit and constructive bit stuck in my head but instead of coming as Unfair Dismissal or Constructive my brain just turned it to none.

Drac

I was a member of a professional association whose legal department decided that it would be unwise to pursue the issue. So if a FTSE-100 company decides it’s legal, it probably is and unlikely to be challenged.

But yet it has been.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Jizz on the golf greens and burn the clubhouse down.

Drac

I’ve now posted the wrong link up there.

I give up. 😀

edlong
    Free Member

So if a FTSE-100 company decides it’s legal, it probably is and unlikely to be challenged

You might be surprised at how many “blue chip” employers have been taken to employment tribunals (and successfully) over the years. What is perhaps more likely is that the scale of the potential loss made the risk worth taking for a large company – a FTSE 100 firm can potentially lose even a big ET and it not even register on their bottom line, where a similar scenario might put a small firm out of business.

Drac

Not given their full entitlement, went to tribunal and they won.

http://www.xperthr.co.uk/law-reports/in-the-employment-tribunals-july-2012/113590/#anderson

vinnyeh

I worked on a zero hours contract for a FTSE-100 company for over two years, but effectively full-time. During that time I had just under three weeks unpaid leave.

Ryanair I presume?

BigJohn

I occasionally do a day’s work as a TV extra. The £75.09 fee I get (that’s before travel and my agent’s 24% cut) is expressed as something like £69 basic plus £6 in lieu of holiday entitlement. So they’re effectively giving me my holiday pay day by day.

I must put that £6 in a separate bank account or I might fritter it away instead of using it to pay for 2 weeks in a lovely Caribbean All-Inclusive holiday prison.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve now posted the wrong link up there.
    I give up.

Take 4 x 568ml of any decent ale, and come and see me tomorrow if you aren’t managing any better 😉

Drac

I’ve started on one now funnily enough.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve not even written your bloody prescription out yet.

Bloody self medicating…. Don’t know why I bother.

Drac

Just trying to save the NHS some cash.

mrhoppy

Yes you are entitled to holiday pay and apparently staff on commission will be able to claim for lost commission over their leave too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Part time job, refusing holiday pay’ is closed to new replies.