Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • So what is GB's biggest sporting acheivement this year?
  • PrinceJohn

Wiggin’s Tour De France?
    Murray winning a Grand Slam?
    Brownlee winning olympic gold?
    Other Olympian?

Or something else entirely?

alex222
    Free Member

Murray winning a Grand Slam?

he hasn’t yet has he?

Jamie
    Free Member

Not to sound like a wimpy ponce, but can they all not be equally great?

zokes
    Free Member

he hasn’t yet has he?

As of about 6 hours ago, he has

allthepies
    Free Member

The Olympics, all of it 🙂

joao3v16
    Free Member

To answer the OPs question, the first thing we need to do is decide which are sports, and which are merely games, hobbies, or talent contests …

iain1775
    Free Member

Boris’s zip wire

mogrim

Successfully staging the Olympics.

On an individual level, either Murray or Wiggins.

argoose
    Free Member

Me cleaning the Llanwonno climb 😆

andrewrchambers
    Free Member

No mention of Jessica Ennis or Mo Farah?

Yesterday I would have said it was between Mo and Wiggins, but after last night I’m not so sure…

geoffj

As much as I dislike the Dunblane one, Olympic Gold and US Open is a pretty decent result.
    Not sure it trumps wiggos achievments though.

alex222
    Free Member

As of about 6 hours ago, he has

I value sleep more than watching tennis. Heard it on the radio about 5 seconds after posting. Huzzah; I am very excited by tennis.

binners

Isn’t it John Terry winning the Champions League?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Drop the words ‘so’ ‘what’, ‘is’ and ‘this’ from the title of your thread and you have your answer.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ll do the word-maths on that one… “gb’s biggest sporting achievement year”.

+1

therealhoops
    Free Member

My mate Craig won a bike race this year, he needed some help from the bloke behind though.

They even got some gold shiny thing as well.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Looks like the two above could do with taking some Senokot.

easygroove
    Free Member

^^^ LOL

tomhoward

Picolax, shirley?

mike_p
    Free Member

Wiggins whole year is remarkable:

Paris-Nice
    Dauphine
    TdF
    Olympic TT

Being brilliant is one thing, being consistently brilliant like that is something else, even if he does have a great team behind him

Fantombiker

If you rephrase the question to what is the hardest to achieve, it must be Wiggins TdF. Based on the number of competitors, the length of the race, possible crashes, illness and the time of activity per day.

(Based on how AC was going in the Vuelta, probably won’t win again, unless he can change styles and accelerate on the big climbs, and not just hang in there like Ullrich).

Junkyard
    Free Member

TdF I would say and first TdF TT double as well.

I also cannot see him beating bertie tbh.

glupton1976
    Free Member

In terms of pure sporting achievement I cant see past Wiggins. But in terms of personality and a story that plays with the emotions Andy Murray’s year wins.

charliemort

poll on telegraph has wiggo at about 57% of vote for spoty, murray next at 14% ish………

dawson

if its based on ‘personality’ then Wiggins should beat Murray hands-down 😉

spawnofyorkshire

as a dour yorkshireman i feel empathy for the way the media treat the dour scotsman for not smiling enough

i don’t show it mind

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

I Thought the Grand Slam was Winning the 4 Majors, Austrialian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and US Open.

So he’s won a Major

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t want to come across as patronising, but shouldn’t we celebrate all this fantastic sport by going for a ride (or game of tennis) rather than making lists?

(Wiggo though)

johndoh
    Free Member

I Thought the Grand Slam was Winning the 4 Majors, Austrialian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and US Open.

So he’s won a Major
    He has won one of the Grand Slam tournaments (ie one of the Majors that make up the Grand Slam)

juan
    Free Member

Well technically Wiggins winning the TdF isn’t an achievment of team GB. More of the Sky racing team 😉

Sonor
    Free Member

Since this is a bike forum the bias will be towards Wiggins, and for the general public Ennis/Farah/miserable jock 😉 , But for me it has to be David Weir.

munrobiker
    Free Member

How come Ennis has become the poster girl for the Olympics when she’s won less medals than a lot of the other competitors?

nealglover
    Free Member

But in terms of personality and a story that plays with the emotions Andy Murray’s year wins.

Im wondering if you are talking about a different Andy Murray ?

You don’t mean the tennis player that sounded like his dog had Just died when he was interviewed after winning the US Open do you ?

feenster
    Free Member

You don’t mean the tennis player that sounded like his dog had Just died when he was interviewed after winning the US Open do you ?

He said in the press conference “I’m really happy inside, I’m sorry if I’m not showing it as you would like me to.” after joking and laughing about the fact that him and lendl don’t smile much.

He’s reserved and dry sense of humour, some people say it’s dour, but so what? He’s polite and professional, and obviousl y has hidden depths of emotions that come out at times.

Imagine being taken to task on a daily basis about whether you laugh enough or not, when that has absolutely no bearing on your ability to do your job.

I wish the bbc would drop the personality thing and just call it sports person of the year, so we can drop all this rubbish about balancing sporting achievement with how popular/nice/funny the person is.

I’m torn, as a cyclist and tdf fan, wiggo, as a scot and general sports fan, murray. Will be delighted with either. Their acheivements this year stand out marginally more for me than all the others in an absolutely incredible year.

nealglover
    Free Member

Feenster, that’s all fine. And I pretty much agree with all of it.

The point I was making was in reference to :

But in terms of personality and a story that plays with the emotions Andy Murray’s year wins.

Andy Murray can do whatever he likes, he’s a brilliant sportsman, and that’s what matters.

But the quote above is what I couldnt make any sense of.

feenster
    Free Member

maybe it was referring to him getting a major after 4 devasting misses, the fact that he got a gold at the olympics and the public finally started to say he’s alright and accept him, the way he lost it and finally connected with the public after the wimbledon final and probably had quite a few folk crying with him/for him that previously didn’t like him, the way he is a different player this year on the court, less girning and whinging, the way in some peoples eyes he has grown up and matured this year, and him and the public are finally understadning each other.

PrinceJohn

Interesting reading – started this before going to work & have just come back to it.

Personally I think Murray & Wiggins are the 2 stand outs, both for Olympic gold & generally having a great sporting year, personally can’t chose between them…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

munrobiker – Member
    How come Ennis has become the poster girl for the Olympics when she’s won less medals than a lot of the other competitors?

Unfortunately our sports media cling on to good-looking girls over and above high-achievers!

My answer to the original question is Farah. The power, pain and suffering it has taken him to get this far and to win those two distance running medals, against the might of Africa, is utterly stunning. The one thing I can call truly awesome (remember what that word really means?).

druidh
    Free Member

munrobiker – Member

Remember, she was the poster girl before the Olympics started.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘So what is GB's biggest sporting acheivement this year?’ is closed to new replies.