Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Carbon 456
  • boltonjon

After peoples general opinion on the C456

I currently run a Soul, but i’m 6ft 4 and its far to small for me

I’d like to build something a little lighter to be my spare bike and irregular race bike

Really, I need something at or around 21″

Yes, I know i should go 29er, but i’ve got far to much equipment which would only need upgrading if i was to go big (I’ve spend far to much on my full susser lately!) 😀

Any thoughts?

Or alternatively, what else would people recommend?

Cheezpleez

Get one. They’re great.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I love mine, using it all the time now except canal commuting, possibly might get rid of the full sus. Really want a Yellow frame now, but the raw can be abused and it doesn’t matter.
    This pic is lightweighty version, but I can just swap wheels and it becomes more hardcore

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    forge197
    Free Member

Love mine great bikes, and at £249 in it’s cheapest guise good value.

beefy

Yep get one, best bike I have ever had, went from a spesh enduro to a c456 with an alfine.

Fast fast fast, light, strong, amazing

Get two.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

irregular race bike

A 29er sounds ideal for this, aslong as you build it up with your 26er equipment.

Irish_AL
    Free Member

Irish_AL
    Free Member

if I could work out how to post a pic from flicr I would show you mine 😉

Irish_AL
    Free Member

IMGP0966 by mtb_al1410, on Flickr

wayhey managed it 🙂

its a 20″ and I am 6ft3 and fits perfectly

Northwind

i like mine… Just decided to replace it tbh but only because I fancy a change. Best hardtail I’ve had since my Soul, and best hardtail I’ve ridden that isn’t a Soul or a Ragley Ti. It’s not perfect, but it’s very good. And cheap!

mrphil
    Free Member

Here’s mine….

18inch frame, 6ft rider.

Mugboo

Mine has replaced a long line of steel Inbreds. It’s better in everyway but admittedly would struggle to win a beauty contest!

Mines satin black which seems to make it slightly more attractive. It also has a 2degree slackset and 140mm Pikes. Unbeatable value.

Size wise I can’t help as I’m 5’8″ and ride a small.

andyl46
    Free Member

Great bike. I’m regretfully selling my 20″ C456 if you’d be interested, pics here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_lyle_photography/7569930974/in/set-72157630575775734

Email in profile if interested. Oh, and I’m 6ft 5.

Andy

boltonjon

Cheers Andy146

I go through frames at an alarming rate, so warranty is pretty important to me!

With such a positive response to my post, i think i’ll be getting my cheque book out at lunch!

Cheers STW team! 😀

Duke
    Free Member

Bit late on this but mine is now alfined (SS in photo)with Pikes, pretty much means I am set for most of this fine country and very little maintenance, bar the raceface BB interface crappy issue I can’t get right. Should invest in a torque wrench. The alfine and weighty pikes balance out the bike nicely, especially good when you leave the ground. Although having to get used to the back-end carrying a bit further than you expect when whipping about on singletrack.

Also the ziptie cable routers (which there are loads) don’t really work with the alfine routing, although I haven’t tried the different turny stop things to move the angle of the cable.

BTW, if you want to SS it on-one chain tug doesn’t fit due to bulginess of carbon forming without a bit of work on the grinder.

Taking it round the Gap in the brecons and cwmcarn in a couple of weeks for a proper test.

D0NK

I’m 6’2″ and ride a 20″ c456 with a 50mm stem, suits me for normal riding, longer stem would stretch it out for racing. I’m in bolton if you fancy a quick spin on it, email in profile – I’ll warn you, it’s singlespeed so don’t complain about the lack of gears 🙂

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Anyone got a pic of the yellow one built up? Sort of considering one…..

boltonjon

Cheers Donk

Thanks for the offer of a spin, but i’m no longer in Bolton – it was a nickname i picked up whilst studying at ‘De Institute’!

I keep meaning to come up for a blast up on Rivington – there were some great tracks up there – i remember an extremely rocky descent which was insane on a rigid bike with 60mm travel forks – i bet its much more fun on a 140mm full susser!

philstone

If you’re interested in a large c456 a mate of mine is selling on – he bought a large by mistake and after 3 or 4 rides decided he wanted a medium… If you want more details drop me an email.

Cheers

boltonjon

I’ve taken the plunge with a quite disgusting banana-esque yellow undecalled number straight from On-one

I paid more for my seatpost last summer

I always said i’d never go carbon – so god knows how long this will last!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I always said i’d never go carbon – so god knows how long this will last!!

Never thought I would either, but at those prices I thought “why not?”

The only issue I’ve had us my dropouts coming loose one or twice. Otherwise it seems as solid as hell
    Oh, and the silly short head tube causing compatabilty issues with tapered steerer Rockshox, which was fixed with a thicker crown race

Has anyone actually broken one yet? I’ve not heard of it….

boltonjon

Give me a week or two Peterpoddy – it won’t take me long!! 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

LOL! 🙂
    Keep us informed and pics or it didn’t happen!

I’ve broken a few bikes too, but you soone forget these are plastic and just ride. They just feel ‘like a bike’ to me 🙂

blader1611
    Free Member

Just purchased my first carbon, an on one whippet. Yet to build it up but i cant seem to shake the thought that its made of drainpipes everytime I look at the seatpost area! Really looking forward to riding it though.

tops5
    Free Member

Mine feels as solid as any bike i’ve ever had – never heard of one breaking

Saccades
    Free Member

the top picture reminded me off a dog wanting to be let out to go toilet until i saw the half empty bottle of meths next it..

meths, alleyway and a c456…

nice

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve still no idea why the meths is there, but yeah, a quick swig before I go out on it.

Anyway, can we have a pic up of the yellow c456 asap please. I’m wanting one.

boltonjon

It’ll be at least week I’m afraid – i’ve got to go to Munich on a stag do tomorrow night – not happy about it – not one bit 😀

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’ve had my cheapo luminous green carbon 456 for a couple of months and am proper impressesed. Mostly. On one took f-ing ages to send the dropouts after the frame arrived (I think it was unrideable for 2weeks while they faffed / figured out to turn the 2nd computer on).

I honestly bought it as a cheap non precious frame that would have a stab at most stuff. Anyway I found myself helitaping it last week so it’s grown on me big time.

Down sides are the crazy short headtube and odd cable routing and the “looks” esp the headtube in solid colours.

Oh – and the plastic is amazingly tough. The finish isnt. And 150 forks are really pushing it on climbs.

Overall a really solid 4/5 stars from me. For £250 – well that’s another half star right there.

boltonjon

The frame has arrived and the colour really is disgusting!

Gutted though, as my old Chris King tapered headset from my old Zesty will not fit – the bottom cup is about 10mm to wide

I see that On-one recommend the FRM D-Set 1.5 inch Taper 49 Headset at £75

What are other 456 riders running on their’s? Is the FRM unit any good?

Appreciate the feedback guys

Jon

mrphil
    Free Member

Using a hope headset on mine. Needed to take a little emery cloth to the frame to make it fit though. Reason behind this was stressing the headtube was a concern as I seen another frame split.

faint
    Free Member

yellow bike, green shorts, red jacket, more like rastajon.
    with cheech and all his turquoise your gonna look a right menagerie out on a ride. 🙂
    Cheap Soul frame for sale though

wwaswas

I’ve got a Hope one to run 1 1/8″ steerer in a c456 frame.

Barely used – £40 posted. email in profile

boltonjon

Thanks wwaswas – i’ve sent an email – speak soon 😀

boltonjon

Faint – I know you love my colour coordination – man up and go multicoloured!!!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Is it proper yellow yellow (ie nuke proof yellow) or some other variant shade/tint etc?

boltonjon

Its a kind of septic yellow – i know why it was cheap!!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

what? like cream yellow, zit?

Northwind

boltonjon – Member

I see that On-one recommend the FRM D-Set 1.5 inch Taper 49 Headset at £75

What are other 456 riders running on their’s

I had an On One Smoothie in mine. It was free with the frame yet still bad value. Took it out after 10 summer rides, bottom bearing was already grumbly.

So I fitted a Works angle headset instead, lovely.

Andy

Its a kind of septic yellow

be a good stopgap till you get…a 29er 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Carbon 456’ is closed to new replies.