• This topic has 31 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by boblo.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • So we've done BMW 5 series, how does an Audi A6 compare?
  • Kryton57

2.0 TDI sline avant 130k miles for £5600.

What do I need to know….?

samuri
    Free Member

I was impressed with how much car you get for such little money when I was looking at A6’s. Much more than a 5 series.

I’ll be interested too.

LoCo
    Free Member

Is the general rule of 200k out of a well looked car before you start getting big bills still true?
    I only ask as 130k is starting to get in to the higher braket of mileage and I’d get 18 months out of that before we got to 200k and have to start paying out big money on repairs on worn parts.
    Our B 5.5 passat sport is 140k ish and no real issues to speak of btw.

Kryton57

Indeed. It’s leather, nav, dual zone climate, self levelling lots of ‘putters looks less Bavarian and the 2.d whilst not quite as fast seems good on economy. Big boot obviously.

Are they fwd also?

Kryton57

Loco, I’m doing 10k per year so…..

LoCo
    Free Member

Fair enough

mrmoofo

I have a 2.7 Audi A6 Quattro Avant as my company car

It’s great autobahn cruiser. It’s as dull as dishwater, it handles like a barge and the auto gear box is so imprecise that you cannot just edge forward without hitting the object in front.

As I have just found out!

They are fine cars – just very unexciting . You don’t drive them for fun.
    I have had 2 5 series – a 523 and a 530d. I loved them , in a completely different league

I have to change my car as I have relocated back to the UK, so the Audi goes back. But I have opted toreplace with a BMW 330d Touring M Sport

molgrips
    Free Member

Is the general rule of 200k out of a well looked car before you start getting big bills still true?

Not really sure, but it could still be worth it. If you buy a £5k car and it might have a £2k bill in the next 6 or 7 years, you’re still better off than if you buy a £15k car with lower mileage.

A mate of mine spent £10k on an A6 estate about 18 months ago. It was very quiet inside, but the ride was harsh – possibly due to it being the eco model with lowered suspsension.

bearnecessities

I’ve done a reasonable amount of digging about in this age of ‘premium’ wheels, as part of succession planning for my mobile skip, for when it finally tells me to eff off and commits suicide.

Findings:

Audi = Shit, unreliable, dull, causes strokes, driven by winkers.
    BMW = Excellent.

I may have simplified this too much.

pjm84
    Free Member

Not with an Audi – 5th year of ownership cost me £530 for a new alternator / £400 for a new wiper motor / £160 for a oil sensor / £600 for the cambelt change.

I got rid at 66k miles / 5yrs old with more rattles and loose trim then I could care to mention. Dreadful car.

nosedive
    Free Member

What year is the one you are looking at kryton ? As above, great cars but parts can be expensive

craigxxl
    Free Member

Only test driven both cars and found like others have that the Audi is deadly dull with little feedback to make it a drivers car. The interior feels narrow and boot isn’t that big. The BMW isn’t great to look at inside either but feels better quality and is enjoyable to drive at any speed. Interior is roomy, very comfy and the boot is what you’d expect with the size of the car.

JulianA
    Free Member

My 54 registered A4 Cabrio feels pretty solid so far – just turned 80k this week.

No way I could describe it as dull, either. The V6 sounds great and makes it go ok too…

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve never got this dull stuff about audi’s. We’ve had a couple of A3’s for the last 4 or 5 years. Both of them are like little go karts. Dead nippy, great in the corners, solid as you like. I’ve driven M3’s and M5’s on racetracks and while they were good fun, I didn’t get in the A3 afterwards and realise how appalling it was.

but then I suppose my car is a Honda Accord. 😉

bearnecessities

I guess ‘cos we’re talking larger saloon type things?

The A3 does win in the small hatch stakes I guess, if not merely for the fact that a 1 series looks like a wedge of edam that’s been mounted by a pissed camel.

johndoh
    Free Member

The last A6 was a bit of a barge, okay but not stunning. The new one is a revalation in comparison. Not driven a 5 series to compare to though

timc
    Free Member

130k plus is getting into the ‘unknown’ & possibly ‘unlucky’ territory on any car IMO, you have to be aware of the possibility of a sudden expensive fix! Turbos, DMF/Clutch, Cat etc

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Findings:

Audi = Shit, unreliable, dull, causes strokes, driven by winkers.
    BMW = Excellent.

+1

tron
    Free Member

They cause owners to develop a condition known as “audi tourettes”, whereby whenever they’re asked what car they drive, they answer with the make and model, but then blurt out “ESSS LINE!”, baffling everyone present.

legend
    Free Member

“ESSS LINE!”

Short for “Sales line” iirc

trail_rat
    Free Member

5600 for 130k on the clock sorry unless its just a couple years old and its driven from london to edinburgh and back all its life im out.

Too high milage and price , youll be suckered into spending big bucks to fix it because it was 6 grand you cant throw it away

10k a year you say, buy a petrol focus

5.5k gets you 4 years old 40k on the clock on autotrader from a dealer

1000 buys you 10 years/100k privately( although eyes wide open)

hooli

I had a 2007 A6 avant, I always felt the 2.0 TDI was under-powered for the size of the car so I had to keep the revs up which meant the fuel consumption was poor – 35 odd MPG if I recall on mostly motorway commutes.

Space wise it is brilliant, loads of space for a tall driver with as much space behind for a tall passenger. Boot is massive.

There is the DMF and clutch that needs doing at about 100k, budget for about £1k and the cambelt need doing as with any VAG car.

All in, unless you are very tall and have somebody tall to sit behind you, I wouldn’t have another one. I would also look at the 2.7 rather than the 2.0 TDI.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Can’t fault my A4 avant. Nearly 200k. Few sus arms thassit.

Kryton57

Hmmm. Back to the 5 series then.

Rockape63
    Free Member

As someone asked….what year? The 2009 model is face lifted and looks much better. Ive had a A4 quattro sport 3.0 cabrio for 8 years now and its been absolutely sound, so very pleased with it. Now done 115k miles and solid.

I have been looking at A6 Avants for a few years now, but struggled with the boring looks. The 3.0 Le mans is the best of the bunch with 19in alloys, quattro and a bit of oomph. It was returning mid 40’s mpg on a run. I was in one last week and the ride was fine.

A friend drove me to France in his 08 2.0 diesel and it was very comfortable on 17in alloys, felt very sound, but was very boring too.

In terms of mileage, I saw an 09 3.0 diesel with 139k on the clock for a good price, but struggled to decide if I wanted a car with that number of miles. Reading Honest John in the Telegraph, he says high mileage diesels start to go wrong with expensive problems, although I think luck comes into it.

My 06 Volvo V50 diesel sportwagon has just had the clutch and DMF go tits up and its booked in at a cost of £1150 next week. 🙁 88k miles.

chiefinspector
    Free Member

I have an A4 Avant (3.0 V6 TDi) and so far it has been excellent. I have driven loads of Audi’s and Beemers in the past but in my experience it is the Beemers that have had most of the problems although Audi are not without their faults. The BMW X-Drive system is also not a patch on the quattro system but the pure rear wheel drive models are great fun on dry days.

As for which one is better to drive, that is personel preference and you will never get a difinitive answer but both are great cars but if you want to own a premium brand marquee, then expect to pay much more on repair and maintenance when something does go wrong.

benp1

Audi’s aren’t known for being dynamically as good as BMW’s, as a general rule of thumb

Steering always slightly inert, and front or four wheel drive instead of rear wheel drive.

They do have fantastic interiors though

The only Audi’s I’d consider (at the moment) would have an S or RS in there. Or maybe an A1 for the wife when the prices drop!

johndoh
    Free Member

I had a 2007 A6 avant, I always felt the 2.0 TDI was under-powered for the size of the car so I had to keep the revs up which meant the fuel consumption was poor – 35 odd MPG if I recall on mostly motorway commutes.

I got up to 50mpg out of mine on a run (170bhp 2.0tdi)

My new 3.0 tdi V6 is less economical though 😈

mike_p
    Free Member

Kryton, I have the Le Mans special ed. version of what you’re looking at. 4yrs old, 40-somethingk miles. It’s big inside, quiet, comfortable, great on the M-way.

However due to the daft look-at-me lo-pro wheels the ride is shite on anything other than billiard table smooth roads, with FWD the tyre wear on the front is dreadful (well under 10k a pair) and tyres cost a fortune. The auto box is truly awful, the economy from the 2.0 TDI is way below target unless you drive it like a vicar (30-something MPG), it’s prone to stupid faults (climate control is intermittently on the blink in ours), it has more squeeks and rattles inside than you’d believe given the hype that Audi interiors get, and it’s so big (longer than a Q7) that Mrs P is seemingly unable to park it. Also our local Audi dealer is pretty useless and always on the con.

A while back we had the new A6 as a courtesy car while ours was having one of it’s faults fixed, and it’s significantly better in every way. Though next time I’m forking out the extra and getting an E-class, Audis aren’t worth the bother.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I looked at A6s at the start of the year and in the end it was down to one of those or a 3-series. A6 was obviously more of a massive wafting around-mobile than the BMW but I really, really liked them. Lovely interior, loads of space, well built etc but we wanted an auto and low-ish (sub 80k) mileage and were warned to stay well away from the 2.0TDI with the multitronic box and try and get the 2.7. For our budget, the 2.7s were just about all north of 100k.

Wish I’d pushed the budget a bit and got the mint, top spec A8 3.0TDI I had a play in but I’m not sure the neighbours would be too happy with me parking something the size of a bus on our street!

johndoh
    Free Member

A while back we had the new A6 as a courtesy car while ours was having one of it’s faults fixed, and it’s significantly better in every way.

100% +1

The ride is *SIGNIFICANTLY* better (I had the Le Mans before) My new one has even lower profile tyres (20inch rims I think) yet the ride is smoother. And they actually have front and rear parking sensors now (only rear on the older model which was bloody stupid) so parking the hearse is a bit easier.

And I never had an issue with tyre wear in mine – only changed the fronts once at about 18k. And Black Cirlces meant they were only about £130 each.

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve just done 75k in an A6 2.7tdi. It was a fantastic car. I was getting 40 plus to the gallon and it was a lovely m way cruiser. Not nice to drive enthusiastically but that’s not what they are about. Mine was chipped so ~210 bhp. In the 7 years I had it, tyres, servicing and an air intake valve just before I got rid. The 2.7 has a chain driven cam and ~20k variable servicing so quite cheap to own.

I’d have another in a heartbeat.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘So we've done BMW 5 series, how does an Audi A6 compare?’ is closed to new replies.