Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • So then, GBBO final tonight, who you backing?
  • IHN

I want Dave to win, to keep the tradition of ‘the one lacking confidence in themselves comes up good’.

Peter is good, but knows it

Laura has scraped through too many weeks, luckily not having quite as bad a week as one of the other (usually otherwise better) contestants. I know it’s judged on a week-by-week basis, but it’d be a bit of a travesty if she won.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dave is boring as ****, and a bit wet.

Hopefully one of the other 2.

MoreCashThanDash

Perfect Peter is the better consistent baker

Laura winning us a travesty. Missed last week’s but shocked she is there.

johnners
    Free Member

Laura seems unlikely, as the OP says she’s just barely made it this far. David always looks like he’s got a suspiciously fresh-laid patio while Peter is very good but looks too much like tomorrow belongs to him for my liking.

So I don’t care which one wins, and they all look like they’ll be hard to sell on the cookbook/cooking show circuit as far as cashing in on their triumph goes.

IHN

Missed last week’s but shocked she is there.

She had a mare (again).

Another baker had a massively out-of-character slightly bigger mare (again)

She squeaked through (again)

I like Dave, he’s just a really normal fella who’s really good at this stuff, and is starting to realise it. That’s a perfect BakeOff story that is.

kelvin

Laura has scraped through too many weeks

Yeah… the “never the worst” format might get you to the final, but you can’t ultimately win that way.

dc1988

I think Peter is the best and probably deserves the win however I have a feeling Dave will win as he seems the most calm under pressure

Tom-B
    Free Member

Just to lob in some nice vibes for Laura, she obviously makes really tasty stuff. The online abuse that she has been getting is truly vile. She’s a samaritans volunteer and a good role model for young girls imo.

kelvin

She’d be the easiest “to sell on the cookbook/cooking show circuit“… but she won’t win, will she.

lunge

Laura has scraped through, but she seems to make consistently great tasting cakes, they just lack a little “finesse”.
    Dave has been a touch under the radar but clearly knows his stuff.
    But for me, Peter has had 1 bad week all series and so definitely deserves to win it.

I do however think Hermine can feel hard done by nt to be in the final, she was consistently good all series.
    I also miss Lottie…

IHN

Just to lob in some nice vibes for Laura, she obviously makes really tasty stuff. The online abuse that she has been getting is truly vile.

Absolutely, well said.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Just to lob in some nice vibes for Laura, she obviously makes really tasty stuff. The online abuse that she has been getting is truly vile. She’s a samaritans volunteer and a good role model for young girls imo.

I don’t think anyone here is suggesting she is anything other than just extremely lucky to get this far. Hermine was a potential winner after the previous two weeks where she absolutely smashed it, laura never was.

She seemed like alit if fun, clearly made delicious food and as a Samaritans partner myself she is obviously an extremely caring person.

The internet are dicks.

flange
    Free Member

Just to lob in some nice vibes for Laura, she obviously makes really tasty stuff. The online abuse that she has been getting is truly vile. She’s a samaritans volunteer and a good role model for young girls imo

I know that doesn’t make you a great baker, but thoroughly commendable. Thanks for posting that, you’ve made me realise I shouldn’t be so quick to judge.

dmck16
    Free Member

Baby Faced Assassin FTW!

I think he has shown the most willingness to do things differently, with some of his flavour combinations sounding really interesting and clever, yet risky. That should be admired.

onewheelgood

Based on their work so far, it should be Peter. But as last week proved, anyone can have a bad day. And as above, Laura may be a wonderful human being but I don’t think she’s ever shown the artistry that a winner should have. Also miss Lottie, she was just so obviously smart and her sarcastic comments were gold.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Another point, Matt and Noel are superb, really good.

I can’t believe folk are being dicks on social media to someone on GBBO, jesus christ, that’s grim.

IHN

I beg to differ, Matt tries too hard with the comedy schtick. He got better as it went on, but he’s the weakest presenter so far.

I can’t believe folk are being dicks on social media to someone on GBBO, jesus christ, that’s grim.

Subject for a different thread, but on balance, I think social media influence has been malevolent. We would be better off without it.

johnners
    Free Member

Just to lob in some nice vibes for Laura, she obviously makes really tasty stuff. The online abuse that she has been getting is truly vile

Right, that’s me on Team Laura then! I just hope the series editing so far has been downplaying her skills so there can be a “surprise” winner at the end. Seems unlikely though!

spawnofyorkshire

Laura has been more consistent than the other two in making things the judges said were delicious, they just don’t look refined. This is the constant problem of cooking shows, balancing taste vs aesthetics vs technical skill.
    I don’t think she’ll win, but it’s also harsh to say she doesn’t deserve to be there, bear in mind she’s won star baker and has been in the running other times for it too.

IHN

I don’t think anyone’s saying she doesn’t deserve to be there, she’s just very lucky to be there.

lunge

I partly agree, Noel is brilliant, but Matt feel forced most of the time. I remain unconvinced on him…

weeksy

I’d like to stab Matt… lots and lots of times…. Sadly, i won’t.

LAura has indeed been fortunate and i can’t see her winning.

Peter for me…

poolman
    Free Member

I m really enjoying it being a bit late to the party, I had to look up which was Peter and Dave. Anything can happen on the day, I like Laura, Lottie was funny and Hermine I thought was going to win.

Quite like the format i be never watched it before.

finbar
    Free Member

This series is dead to me since Lottie left. Although worse was when Manon got booted out the year before last. I’m still bitter about that 😀 .

(That said, I will be watching and Peter FTW)

big_scot_nanny

I have a feeling that Laura might just pull it out the bag. As others have said, she seems to make things that are delicious, so she knows a thing or 2.

If she can learn how to manage things on the day, and present it well, I think she could do it. (which I take pleasure in saying, to my middle daughter’s annoyance, a true ‘Lottie-ite’… mwuh hur hur!)

beej

Dave, simply because he sounds like Paul from the Swiss Tony series.

087seb
    Free Member

Dave gives me the jeepers creepers with that smile. Should be between Hermine and Peter imo

martinhutch

David always looks like he’s got a suspiciously fresh-laid patio

This summarises him almost too perfectly.

Should be Hermine or Peter. So Peter.

onehundredthidiot

Erm Peter hardly drinks and doesn’t like cheese so no. Also he makes me cringe with his public school faux scottishness (I don’t know if he’s a public school boy but he’s too watsonian for me)

z1ppy

Can’t say any of them stand out as really GREAT bakers to me, it’s been entertaining and some great cooking but no one shone through for me. Hermine was the silent assassin for me, but unfortunate they judge week by week and last week was terrible for her. I’ll watch tonights show but not be worried about who wins*, or their cookery book.

* I don’t like Dave, as he’s a creepy ****

Tom-B
    Free Member

I think that Hermine was the best overall imo. Great series filled with seemingly lovely folk this year though. Marc E was awesome too….and again seems like a top bloke. Prior to losing his leg, he was a VERY good climber apparently.

Bake Off is literally the only bit of pop culture/tv that I watch. I’m not even vaguely interested in baking either!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Erm Peter hardly drinks and doesn’t like cheese so no

Paul doesn’t like pickles and Pru doesn’t like peanut butter. So they should follow Peter out the door.

timmys

Peter looks like he sits at home reading the bible and will come out of the closet in twenty years time to no ones surprise but his own.

Paul doesn’t like pickles and Pru doesn’t like peanut butter. So they should follow Peter out the door.

If we’re going to hammer Pru can it be because she’s a f**king idiot. Being all “Oh no not the chlorinated chicken”. While voting for Brexit. The horrible old witch.

martinhutch

Marc E was awesome too….and again seems like a top bloke. Prior to losing his leg, he was a VERY good climber apparently.

I suspect he’s still a better climber than me…

(From UKC)

I like him even more now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Marc E was awesome too….and again seems like a top bloke

Aye, he was brilliant, they were all such smashing folk, Mark L was a top bloke too, and Lottie was ace. Just kinda realised I was a bit shitty about Dave up there, no offence to him, he’s just a wee bit boring is all!

chrismac

Looking forward to it. I haven’t warmed to any of the final 3. Peter is too goody goody school boy. Laura probably makes the best to eat if not to look at but agree she has scraped through by being not the worst. That leaves Dave

dickster
    Free Member

As an aside, I think Lottie would be an ace presenter of the programme. Her quick witted humour and dry humour/sarcasm could work wonderfully.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Agree with many of the comments up there ^. Hermine was looking a sure fire finalist and then had an absolute mare. The two weeks prior I was thinking she could go and win it. And then she blew up – on what should have been her best week. And in a really shallow way , I really do miss Lottie. She was funny and watchable and could bake. I mean, what’s not to like?? Laura has had a few calamities but has somehow survived – should probably have gone the week Lottie went. Still, been an entertaining series. In true bake off fashion any one of them could win it but I think Peter has been the most consistent of the finalists across the series.

nicko74

Well Laura clearly has something on Paul Hollywood, as she’d have no complaints if she’d have been sent home earlier. So perhaps her?

Realistically it’s likely to be Dave as the best baker; Paul hasn’t actually liked him very much til now, but you get the sense it’s softening as he becomes a bit more friendly. Peter’s a nice bloke but I reckon will just be edged out.

IHN

I think Lottie would be an ace presenter of the programme. Her quick witted humour and dry humour/sarcasm could work wonderfully.

I’d never thought of that, but yeah.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘So then, GBBO final tonight, who you backing?’ is closed to new replies.