Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • Woodburning stoves being banned?
  • fifeandy
    Free Member

Maybe science can make us some genetically modified trees that don’t produce evil particulates when burnt?

v8ninety

Maybe science can make us some genetically modified trees that don’t produce evil particulates when burnt?

NO! BECUZ GM BAD, KAY!!!!

finephilly
    Free Member

If you get a ‘cleanburn’ stove which burns the gas twice in the chamber, much less particulates and hydrocarbons are emitted. I’m not sure exactly how much, though.

rents
    Free Member

I have an open grate fire in the kitchen and stove in the front room. What is evident when using the stove is that the smoke drops a lot quicker. It almost rolls down the roof in the winter. The open grate runs with a higher flue temp meaning the smoke is hotter on exit making it rise faster and away. Stoves need to be run hot to be clean. A lot of people have a to big stove than what is required
    and have it heavily damped down resulting in a dirty burn

rents
    Free Member

I live in the middle of the fens.

teasel
    Free Member

dirty burn

🙂

meta
    Free Member

A doctor on radio 4 tonight was suggesting one issue was a large percentage of people still using open fires rather than stoves. Stoves will still be contributing to the problem, but are far more efficient.

Dickyboy

Neighbours either side have woodburners, stinky horrible things, sooner they all get banned from all smoke control zones the better.

beanieripper
    Free Member

Ok i dont post much these days… Why anyone with access to a thermostatically controlled heating system that is automatic and more efficient (and so less polluting) and requires no effort would replace it with a dirty and labour intensive stove whilst living in a city is the most bizarre idea I could think of. I live in a 200 year old cottage in the middle of nowhere with expensive econony 7 heating. Im also a tree surgeon with access to all the wood i need. I can either process this wood myself, pay someone to do it or pay £70-£80 per m2 here in the wilds of the south east (There is no free lunch) . For me it is a solution that fits. If i lived in an area with gas and central heating i would drop the stove in a second and play a dvd of a log fire on tv. Maybe all the people using this method to heat their homes in cities just need a good hard day in the countryside working and would appreciate coming home to a warm place. The problem is though, they need a 4litre 4×4 to get the kids to the schhol too…

beanieripper
    Free Member

Ok i dont post much these days… Why anyone with access to a thermostatically controlled heating system that is automatic and more efficient (and so less polluting) and requires no effort would replace it with a dirty and labour intensive stove whilst living in a city is the most bizarre idea I could think of. I live in a 200 year old cottage in the middle of nowhere with expensive econony 7 heating. Im also a tree surgeon with access to all the wood i need. I can either process this wood myself, pay someone to do it or pay £70-£80 per m2 here in the wilds of the south east (There is no free lunch) . For me it is a solution that fits. If i lived in an area with gas and central heating i would drop the stove in a second and play a dvd of a log fire on tv. Maybe all the people using this method to heat their homes in cities just need a good hard day in the countryside working and would appreciate coming home to a warm place. The problem is though, they need a 4litre 4×4 to get the kids to school too…

footflaps

Ok i dont post much these days… Why anyone with access to a thermostatically controlled heating system that is automatic and more efficient (and so less polluting) and requires no effort would replace it with a dirty and labour intensive stove whilst living in a city is the most bizarre idea I could think of.

We have gas CH but pretty much only use the wood burner since its installation. It’s much nicer to use and creates a focal point for the house. We just use gas to heat the hot water.

jimjam
    Free Member

beanieripper – Member

Why anyone with access to a thermostatically controlled heating system that is automatic and more efficient (and so less polluting) and requires no effort would replace it with a dirty and labour intensive stove whilst living in a city is the most bizarre idea I could think of. I live in a 200 year old cottage in the middle of nowhere with expensive econony 7 heating. Im also a tree surgeon with access to all the wood i need.

Because stoves and open fires are nicer. Even when I was living in Belfast with access to pretty much any form of heating I wanted my wife and I preferred the stove. It helped that it was a boiler stove and that I worked with a tree surgeon so – free heat but I still would have been happy to pay for wood over oil because the stove was nicer. I grew up in a house with open fires and as a kid I had to clean out and set the fire so as an adult that little bit of work doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

Have since moved and now have a range, ofch, a boiler stove , open fire and access to unlimited free wood so guess what…the stove gets used most but the open fire still gets used because it’s really nice.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Have mains gas here, see and appreciate all the benefits it gives me via my thermostatically controlled combi boiler fed CH system.
    I also have 2 stoves and appreciate the radiant warmth, the drying and airing of the house (a very big factor), the snug feel/ambiance of the stove, the exercise cutting and splitting, and the halving of my annual gas bill.

Is nice to wake to a warm, centrally heated house, or if I can’t be bothered with the stove, to still be warm from the CH, I wouldn’t be without that, no, but the stove is still very nice in many ways.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Not read this yet, just found it and thought it might be worth a read few a few people.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378382015301843

One thing that is clear to me is that there are so many variables and user practice is so important, it is hard to build a manually operated burner that is always clean

ctk
    Free Member

My OH doesnt want to use the stove anymore because of pollution and she worries about pollutants on the inside of the house aswell (2 young kids) A massive waste wood burning incinerator is being built in our town and she is reading up on all these type of things. We’ve only had it for 2 years! I cant win the arguement.

Personally I prefer the type of heat a stove gives off.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

It’s not the stoves that are the problem, it’s the idiots using em.

Burning damp/wet wood, chucking big thick logs on thinking it’ll burn longer and save fuel, stoking it up before going to bed and throttling it down, choosing a stove too big for the space and burning on a low setting before it gets up to the correct operating temperature, burning house coal and mixing it with wood, not lining the chimney, burning household rubbish, burning with the door open, not sweeping the chimney and other stuff not coming to mind atm, ring any bells folks.

jimjam
    Free Member

twinw4ll – Member

It’s not the stoves that are the problem, it’s the idiots using em.

Burning damp/wet wood, chucking big thick logs on thinking it’ll burn longer and save fuel, stoking it up before going to bed and throttling it down, choosing a stove too big for the space and burning on a low setting before it gets up to the correct operating temperature, burning house coal and mixing it with wood, not lining the chimney, burning household rubbish, burning with the door open, not sweeping the chimney and other stuff not coming to mind atm, ring any bells folks.

Yeah they all do that don’t they.

finephilly
    Free Member

Pellet stoves are more expensive, but foolproof.

teasel
    Free Member

ring any bells folks.

Weird post but…no. In the thirty odd years I’ve been involved in stoves and in the twenty years I’ve used one myself I’ve only known of one person to burn rubbish (a pair of old trainers, the utter ****) or damp wood.

Obviously you’ve had different experiences.

bubs

Are heat logs a cleaner option?

sweepy
    Free Member

I know one family that burned disposable nappies (urgh)
    Main problem in my view is this obsession with huge logs which smoulder for ages to save splitting and to ‘keep the fire in’

sweepy
    Free Member

Are heat logs a cleaner option?

If I’m short of dry wood I use the verdo briquettes, they are dry and burn well but no better than dry wood. And at homebargains they are as cheap as (wood)chips.

teasel
    Free Member

I know one family that burned disposable nappies (urgh)

That’s a bit shit…

DT78
    Free Member

Hmmm and I was thinking of replacing the gas fire with a wood burner….

Roll on clean air zones, I’m all for it, I live off a reasonable busy road in Southampton and the Windows get filthy from the traffic. That said I bought a foobot to monitor the air quality and it is actually really good. It’s most affected by us cooking on the gas hob and not opening a window. Farting seems to set it off too…

In my opinion Southampton suffers because we have the docks and the cruise liners. Make the ships have to hook up for shore power and force haulage firms to have less polluting lorries or use the trains to transport the containers would make more difference than going after the public motorist or woddburner

neilnevill
    Free Member
    twinw4ll
    Free Member

I’ve met more stove users than most on here jimjam, you can tell folk till your blue in the face, do instructed demos, but it’s mostly a waste of time.

If they were using them correctly we wouldn’t make so much money selling stove glass cleaner.

jimjam
    Free Member

twinw4ll – Member

I’ve met more stove users than most on here jimjam, you can tell folk till your blue in the face, do instructed demos, but it’s mostly a waste of time.

If they were using them correctly we wouldn’t make so much money selling stove glass cleaner.

Maybe they just don’t know how to clean the glass? I burned pretty much nothing else in mine apart from seasoned wood at full tilt and still got some blackening on the glass from time to time.

aracer
    Free Member

Maybe it’s not as clean as you think…

beanieripper
    Free Member

God knows what they are burning if they need glass cleaner. Just spit on a tissue and dip it in the ashes, rub in circles and repeat.

dannybgoode

We live in a smoke controlled area of Sheffield and are having a multi fuel stove installed.

Fully DEFRA approved for use in such circumstances using smokeless fuels etc.

Can’t wait – we have just spent £3500 on a new Combi boiler and will spend about the same in the drive installation.

Why? Because a real fire is just really nice in so many ways…

Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Woodburning stoves being banned?’ is closed to new replies.