Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • so, Olympics only 100 days away…
  • Woody
    Free Member

so I’m imagining it’s something like the paralympics freestyle synchronised crocheting qualifiers.

TBH, as I’m not a great tv watcher or newspaper reader, virtually the only things I’ve seen (and there seem to be a great many of them) have been about the paralympics and paralympians.

I have absolutely no idea what else we’re good at apart from cycling 8)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It should have been held in Manchester – would have been much better.

also they should have taken the opportunity to slim things down abit.

You just know its going to be crap – the corporate whoring taken to extremes, look at the rubbish logos and mascots and its sucked money out of sport in the rest of the country. Once again London gets the money – the rest of the UK has to pay for it.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

this thread reads like a script from “Grumpy Old Men ” 🙄

The only person on here ( imho ) who may have a complaint is about the commute to Canary Wharfe being stuffed but then again any one who works in that corporate glass house deserves all the hassle they get 😈

Me ? Can’t wait …

As I’ve said before and will continue to say I think its fantastic to have the games in the UK, ok it is London 2012 and we all end up helping to pay for it but Harrogate 2012 on the stray was just never going to happen was it ?

Day off booked to see torch going through town and YES , I will be acting like a silly school boy trying to blag freebies rather than a grumpy old 54 year old moaning about how the traffic is affected

2 weeks booked off work to take in as much of the games as possible, either by watching tele or going to London Town and taking in as much of the atmosphere as possible ( with or without tickets )

AND Time Trial is still free so at least one must be there day ( imho )

s
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

It should have been held in Manchester – would have been much better.

Now thats something I agree with.

rusty90
    Free Member

I think its fantastic to have the games in the UK

Why ?
    Olympic games in Paris, watch all events on telly for free.
    Olympic games in London, watch all events on telly for £11,000,000,000

richmtb

Olympic games in Paris, watch all events on telly for free.
    Olympic games in London, watch all events on telly for £11,000,000,000

Rusty90 has it!

Apparently the 8 football matches in Glasgow will benefit the local economy to the tune of £6million. Which is great as obviously no-one in Glasgow will have paid a penny towards the London games

D0NK

this thread reads like a script from “Grumpy Old Men “

you may have a pint but that’s 11Bn of our money being spent on it and yes I know more gets spent on other stuff but they don’t endlessly bang on about it in the media telling us how good it’s going to be for the whole country which is just bollocks frankly.

Sports for doing not watching IMO, can just about manage a 5min traisl/jumps video, I can’t even sit and watch cycling (a sport that I love) for any decent length of time. So not much appeal for me but plenty of other aspects to moan about. If they’d spent 11bn trying to get the population into sport instead of the corporate whorefest I’d be backing them.

TatWink
    Free Member

Bloody hell you lot are miserable.

Do you think the whole corporate side of it would be any different in any other part of the world? That’s just par for the course these days.

Personally I’m looking forward to it, the same as I would look forward to it if it was in any other country.

binners

I am indeed a miserable old ****! Its not really the point. I just can’t equate the figure of 11 billion quid (of our money!) to whats basically a glorified school sports day. With added canapes and wine laid on for the privileged members of the PTA.

There’s something very British about landing an event with this kind of monumental bill attached, just as our economy goes into meltdown. I think we can safely assume that the people who caused said meltdown will be the same ones happily clinking their champagne glasses as they watch the 100 metres from their corporate boxes?

martinhutch

Do you think the whole corporate side of it would be any different in any other part of the world? That’s just par for the course these days.

Perhaps whatever Olympic spirit still exists will shine through the barrage of branding once the event starts. There does seem to be a creeping increase in the prominence and reverence of corporate sponsorship.

I’m sure I’ll still enjoy watching a bit of it. I guess when the games is in Rome, Beijing or Johannesburg, you just can sit back and enjoy it without the nagfest that it MUST be more special because we’re hosting it. If anything, for me it detracts from the excitement, because we’ve been fed a drab diet of press releases and promotions for the last three or four years. I was more excited about Sydney and Beijing.

And the mascots look like strange alien cocks, as well.

scaredypants

Personally I’m looking forward to it, the same as I would look forward to it if it was in any other country.

Me too – no more, no less (but 11Bn+ poorer as a nation)

TatWink
    Free Member

The money thing is a bit of a misnomer though as with any investment there is a return whether it be by the increase in visitors/tourists, increase in trade, the use of facilities for communities/sports after the games or indeed the increase in employment to design,construct and serve the games.

TBH with the economy as it is it will provide a timely boost, not to mention the feel good factor….oh wait.

cinnamon_girl

Well, I’ve recently had to pay to have an operation carried out privately as the NHS thinks it’s OK to keep people waiting 6 months with no date any time soon. So s’cuse me whilst I tell Lord Coe et al where to shove their Olympics.

It’s morally abhorrent to the many citizens of the U.K. who are faced with an uncertain future and poor quality of life.

TatWink
    Free Member

I suspect the sentiment and antipathy towards London was the the same in the 1908 and 1948 depending on your view point. You can’t please everyone all of the time.

D0NK

TBH with the economy as it is it will provide a timely boost

[url=http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/after-the-party-what-happens-when-the-olympics-leave-town-901629.html]or possibly not[/url]
    I hope it’s a success, I hope everyone has a nice time, everything runs smoothly and it boosts the economy. I really do. Unfortunatley I’m not optimistic that all those things will happen but I’m damn sure that apart from the possible boost to the economy* there’ll be bugger all benefit for the north and west of our nation (feelgood factor aside)

*yes a big boost to the economy would be pretty bloody good, but my point still stands i think

binners

You can’t please everyone the mugs who are paying for it all, in that irrelevant faraway land outside the M25, all of the time.

FIXED 😀

mrdestructo

A recent survey says 50% of those in the north couldn’t give a stuff about the olympics.
    The newly fashioned SS can kick your door down, storm in and rip down any anti-olympics posters in your residential home if you live within the olympic zone.
    Journalists are being heavily harrassed on public property by badly trained private security quoting anti-terror laws.
    Families in private housing have been booted out so the private landlords can rent the places for much more during the olympics.
    I don’t have tickets, or a television. I guess people online will fill me in.

speaker2animals

I’ll be glad when it’s 100 days since the Olympics. FFFing adverts that now depict the entire populace of the UK as needing sports clothing/nutrition etc. S0d off!

I’ve never been a big fan of sport but I’m afraid the greed fest that the Olympics has now become means I don’t even really give a stuff even about the cycling.

Bunnyhop

I have absolutely no idea what else we’re good at apart from cycling

Rowing and nearly all the horsey events 😉

I still find it incredible that we have, as a nation some of the best cyclists in the world, yet the average Joe on the street (or mostly driving his car) hate us

c_g – sorry to hear about your op, waiting 6 months is terrible, however I hope now its over you get back to riding and full health.

Yes agree that Manchester should have held the games, after all we have the infrastructure and knowhow left over from the Commonwealth games, also Manchester is bang centre of the U.K.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Rowing and nearly all the horsey events

And sailing too I think.
    Basically any sitting based sport 🙂

andypaul99
    Free Member

Im looking forward to the olympics but im getting fed up with the overexposure of some of the athletes namely Jessica Ennis, i did really like her at one time but now she is irritating – and the sad thing is im not even sure she wants to keep parading about with her 6 pack showing – im sure team GB management are playing a big part in this – she must be under so much pressure maybe it would be a good idea to focus on training now rather that Vogue magazine?

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Usual tedious cynicism and above-it-all nonsense on here.

It the OLYMPICS! In LONDON! In the UK!
    Have some pride.

Can’t wait!

onehundredthidiot

On my way home last night i noticed a couple of posters informing me of possible delays and road closures whilst the Olympics are on.

Not quite sure what events we are hosting in Leith but i’m suddenly much more excited.

Oh and there was no police presence as the wheelchair basketball was played on a boxed junction. So that Canary Wharf commute will be a right pig.

davidjones15
    Free Member

I’ll be looking forward to it as I would any other olympics. Do I feel any better or worse because the games are in London? No.
    They are the London games and London’s reputation is on the line. I just hope it doesn’t become a British problem if it all goes wrong.

Usain Bolt at 9.4 and 19 secs will be something to behold. Bring it on.

project
    Free Member

Think of it as 130 days till the majority of southerners realise what a big con, theyve bought into, the massive amount of cash and disruption theyre going to be paying back for a long time, along with the realisation us Northerns where telling them all along they where getting stuffed.

Then there is the problem over who is going to pay for the security and maintainace of all the buildings for a long time until the southerns can actually afford to live in them.

Then we will have Panorama, watchdog, the one show, and many more all doing exposes on the waste and how it all failed.

But not to worry a few chavs will have new tracksuits, and trainers.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I am quite excited about the running and cycle racing.

anagallis_arvensis
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I can’t wait. Really looking forward to it.

Oh, and did I mention that I have tickets to the men’s MTB? 8)

McHamish
    Free Member

Hey project…you do know that it’s not just southerners who are paying for the Olympics don’t you?

oldgit
    Free Member

There’s certainly a feeling of ‘you’re not invited’

I was really really excited, but everything seems shut off from me. Box Hill being the biggest let down.
    So I’ll try and catch a bit on telly along with the athletes mums and dads.

yunki
    Free Member

It puts me in mind of a squib.. a thoroughly moist one

brakes
    Free Member

I really can’t wait…
    I think it’s going to be brilliant.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’s this sort of pointless waste that enrages me…

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4264232/5k-Olympic-sandcastle-pulled-down-because-of-health-and-safety.html

Remember this next time a community group has to close for want of a small grant.

D0NK

Ohnohesback

“It was quite a big structure and it could have collapsed with a child playing on the beach near to it.

see, the childs face defence is now recognised nationally

jota180
    Free Member

Just another 116 days to go

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But don’t forget the paralympics to follow…

tracknicko
    Free Member

Fabian Cancellara FT(olympic)W

that would make a much better race for me than the sky squad squashing everything and launching Cav.

is that bad?

rusty90
    Free Member

Fabian Cancellara FT(olympic)W

Unlikely, given that he won’t be riding as he’s banned till August 5th

It’s kept me gainfully employed for 9 months and I can happily be far away from it when it happens knowing that I’ve had my 1/200,000th of that £10 billion 🙂

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“Unlikely, given that he won’t be riding as he’s banned till August 5th”

Your getting your Fabians mixed up with your Albertos 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘so, Olympics only 100 days away…’ is closed to new replies.