Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • so, Olympics only 100 days away…
  • rOcKeTdOg

Anyone else bored of it already? The hype is only gonna get worse too

Jamie
    Free Member

There is a certain irony going on here. Just can’t put my finger on it…

jambalaya
    Free Member

It just reminds me that after applying for 36 tickets over 18 events I got nothing, I’m still getting emails from London2012 asking whether I want to pay £2,000 to £3,000 for corporate tickets.

binners

I was enjoying whatever government lackey was dispatched to Five Live this morning to justify the horrendous expense

“How will the Olympics, after all this taxpayers money spent, benefit someone in say Middlesborough, Salford or Glasgow?”

“Erm…. erm… erm….. well the government would like to see…erm… all deprived areas…. erm…. developed. Oh, Oh, oh, yes I’ve remembered now!!! ….. The Olympic torch procession will be passing through some of them!!!

Well whoop-de-****ing-doo!!! Thats £10 billion well spent then 🙄

Stoner
    Free Member

Olympics: 27 July-12 Aug 2012
    Stoner family charabanc in France to catch the end of Le Tour: 11 July-12 Aug 2012.

coincidence? mais non.
    You’re on your own peeps.

Anyway, since I too got cruelly overlooked in the tickets lottery they can go and **** themselves 🙁

IanMunro
    Free Member

I got a rather odd phone-call from the bank last night, saying I’d won a pair of tickets to the Olympics and could I come in and pick them up on Saturday.
    Sounds a bit like one of those police sting operations used to catch people with outstanding warrants, but I’m pretty confident that they’ve got nothing too incriminating on me.
    They wouldn’t/couldn’t say which event the tickets were for, so I’m imagining it’s something like the paralympics freestyle synchronised crocheting qualifiers.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Complete indifference here. Just ignore the hype.

Junkyard
    Free Member

oh come on binners how can you dislike something that gave us this

and these

MONEY WELL SPENT IMHO

Quite like the Olympics tbh but rather not be paying for it and given it is all [ pretty much] Down South I will be watching on the TV just like every other one [ may get to a footy game if I am lucky]

Houns

Miserable gits

Looking forward to it

ohnohesback
    Free Member

So it’s 100 days to the Olympics. So Fooken What?!

scaredypants

They lost any chance of general national goodwill by the exorbitant, incompetent, utterly unapologetic ticketing fiasco and mean-spirited, active exclusion of the public from “free” vantage points

All that’s left is an expensive corporate wankfest IMO

binners

I think you’ve summarised it perfectly there scaredypants

s
    Free Member

Just to show that there are people out there, outside London who are looking forward to it 😉

My father passed away last year and was a GB coach many years back, he would have loved to watch his sport here in the UK, all through his treatment he asked about the tickets I had ordered for us both, but did not have the heart to tell him that we were not going to get any from the lottery selection.

I will be glued to the TV, booked two weeks off, the rest of the family will be buggering off to the coast for two weeks, yes they have had enough of the Olympics!

Inspire a Generation……

ohnohesback
    Free Member

What an utterly dire slogan!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Coming into Stratford Station this morn… the train driver said, “This is Stratford, home to the 2012 Olympic and Paralympics village” (or something like that). He didn’t sound too enthusiastic…. as the doors opened I heard the platform announcer say something similar, and he sounded even more bored by it all.

Shame I thought…. I’m starting to get excited….. Especially as when the train pulls out of Stratford(on the way into Liverpool St) there is the practice/warmup track (with a covered walkway leading 300M into the stadium) right by the train tracks…. super close.

But then, as we arrived into L Street the train driver said something on the lines of “this is London, home of the 2012 Olympics etc etc”… and I thought yeah that’s a bit silly… it’s 0645 and this train is only full of builders and traders and it will be the same guys sitting in the same seats who will hear it again tomorrow and for the next 99 mornings.

But all in all…. Olympics, euros footy, good British chances in the TdF and my own tri events… it going to be a great summer of sport and I’m looking forward to it

s
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member

What an utterly dire slogan!

Care to come up with a better one then?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

We’ll fizzle in the olympics, Cav will win green and Wiggo place third or crash out of the TDF, the euros? now don’t be silly!

joao3v16
    Free Member

I was enjoying whatever government lackey was dispatched to Five Live this morning to justify the horrendous expense

“How will the Olympics, after all this taxpayers money spent, benefit someone in say Middlesborough, Salford or Glasgow?”

“Erm…. erm… erm….. well the government would like to see…erm… all deprived areas…. erm…. developed. Oh, Oh, oh, yes I’ve remembered now!!! ….. The Olympic torch procession will be passing through some of them!!!

Yes, it would be less insulting to our intelligence if they’d just be honest about it and admit it generally won’t benefit anywhere except London, rather than spouting fluffy political blather …

binners

Inspire a Generation…… by cutting all the funding for them to actually do anything sporting, and funneling into some big corporate shmooz-fest

Fixed it! 😀

s
    Free Member

Found one…

putting it in and out particularly hard 😯

😉

rusty90
    Free Member

How will the Olympics, after all this taxpayers money spent, benefit someone in say Middlesborough, Salford or Glasgow?

Those clever Olympic people have already thought of that and their website explains how all the different regions will benefit. Take Wales for instance (link)

Our vision is to maximise the economic, sporting, cultural and social benefits of the 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games for Wales, in a sustainable manner.
    We will do this with full regard to opportunities for promoting equality, social inclusion, bilingualism and the profile of Wales in the world.

Followed by two pages of management-speak bollox, including this little gem

The objective in terms of legacy is not to re-invent the wheel or invest in large projects linked to the 2012 Games.

So nothing that actually costs any money then.

It’s not called the LONDON Olympics for nothing.

khani
    Free Member

I love the Olympics…BUT..

All that’s left is an expensive corporate wankfest IMO

+10.000.000 😥

ohnohesback
    Free Member

s, proceed no further, even if you can find your way around the members only security that the people who run that website have put in place. That way lies madness…

And my slogan? Think of what we could achieve… (if we’d spent the £11 billion more wisely)

s
    Free Member

s, proceed no further

Dont worry I have no intention to proceed any further, dont think my eyes could take any more abuse 😉

wisepranker
    Free Member

Fantastic, 100 days until the brown stuff REALLY hits the spinning thing in London!

I can’t see it being anything but chaos from start to finish, despite all the statements otherwise I don’t think London is ready for it.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Oh but they are… They’ve got aircaft carriers and water cannon and missiles… that’ll stop those ticket touts, or was it metal thieves who are The Greates Threat To The Games…

rusty90
    Free Member

if we’d spent the £11 billion more wisely

With the adult population of UK circa 50 million my back-of-envelope calculations make that equivalent to 90 cans of Special Brew each. What an opportunity missed !

martinhutch

We fly out on our hols on the 28th, fly back on the 11th…

After seeing a pic of the ‘Olympic Torch Relay bus’ which is essentially a fridge-pack of Coca Cola on wheels, this could turn out to be the corporate whoring olympics to end them all.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yup, when I realised that the torch was being ferried around in a transit van, my heart sank just a little bit more about the whole corporate circle jerk nature of it.

Eddie Izzard seems much more inspiring sport wise.
    https://twitter.com/eddieizzard

3bikeman
    Free Member

Out of the 28 posts so far not many positive views on the LONDON olympics???
    I like many cant quite see where the benefits are for the rest of us – in my local town in the Southwest they are just shutting the local swimming pool [which was volunteer run anyway] they shut the Bridgwater pool and built a Tesco.
    Jobs for the boys and a nice gravy train for Coe [Tory boy] which we will be paying for for years to come – good BBC breakfast this morning where it was pointed out that the last few cities where the olympics were held had no benefit and in Athens case we know whats happened to Greece!

Junkyard
    Free Member

when I realised that the torch was being ferried around in a transit van, my heart sank just a little bit

if it is good enough for the pope ….

loddrik
    Free Member

The Olympiczzzzzzzzzzzzz………….

D0NK

The budgetry restraint* has been exemplary

*Naughty words NSFW

rusty90
    Free Member

Millions of people around the UK get ready to welcome the world to London in 100 days’ time[quote]London 2012 celebrates 100 days to go to the Olympic Games today by confirming that millions of people around the UK are getting ready to welcome the world to London.[/quote]Why do I get the feeling I’m living in North Korea ?

clubber
    Free Member

Yep, it’s not value for money, yep, it’ll be a corporate logo-fest but I still can’t wait.

I think it’ll be great as the olympics fundamentally always is – brilliant sport on tap for three weeks.

binners

There’s no question about who’s benefit this whole sorry circus is being run for

Corporate **** fest

But Hey… we’ll all be able to watch the £10 Billion sports day on telly. If you’ve a high boredom threshold, that is?

IHN

Surely, given the amount of money that has been spent on the Olympics that could have gone to a much wider selection of activities and projects that would have benefited a much larger number of people, the slogan should be:

“Look what you could have won” 🙂

D0NK

“Look what you could have won”

copyrighted by Jim Bowen I’m afraid

McHamish
    Free Member

Only 100 days till my commute into canary wharf is stuffed.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Aaah a refreshing load of responses from the usual stw grumpfest! I’m looking forward to it, we shall be going out when the torch passes through our town and yes I do hope to get hit by a freebie thrown from the passing corporate train!! Do you all think it would have been better held somewhere like middlesborough?? Doesn’t quite have the same status does it??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘so, Olympics only 100 days away…’ is closed to new replies.