Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)
  • So Mr Cameron
  • binners

We could get a bit more biblical, I suppose. How about killing the first born of anyone on benefits? The Daily Mail would champion that one. In which case it’d be a shoe in for the next Tory manifesto.

I reckon I’ve a future as Steve Hilton’s replacement at number 10

The only thing stopping me is that my bikes are quite nice. Why do all Multi-squillionaire Tory posho’s ride shite bikes?

wrecker
    Free Member

Denmark;

Denmark is a net exporter of food and energy and has for a number of years had a balance of payments surplus

Sweden;

aided by timber, hydropower and iron ore. These constitute the resource base of an economy oriented toward foreign trade. The main industries include motor vehicles, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, industrial machines, precision equipments, chemical goods, home goods and appliances, forestry, iron and steel.

Norway;

Norway’s economic growth has been fueled by an abundance of natural resources, including petroleum exploration and production, hydroelectric power, and fisheries

I’m seeing a few reasons why our economy will never be like theirs.

bamboo
    Free Member

Well hopefully the government will introduce taxes based on a persons age? So all of those under 25 will get a lower rate of tax to reflect what they are entitled to claim.

If the government wanted to tackle the housing benefit costs, they should reintroduce rent controls. This would stop the government paying billions of pounds each year into the pockets of buy to let landlords, reduce rents, and go some way to making this country a cheaper and more competitive place to do business. But then Cameron and his mates (plus the Labour lot to be fair) all have their noses in the property trough so they won’t do this.

grum
    Free Member

I’m seeing a few reasons why our economy will never be like theirs.

Because we decided to base our entire economy on the financial services industry moving around imaginary sums of money, instead of actually making anything or doing anything useful you mean?

It’s working out rather well isn’t it.

Norway’s economic growth has been fueled by an abundance of natural resources, including petroleum exploration and production, hydroelectric power, and fisheries

Scotland has all these things – and once they gain independence they’ll probably have more sane politics/taxation as well. I plan on moving there before they rebuild the wall.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

There just arent enough so call fat cats to close the deficit run up by a nation of 60 million people.

How about a cull? What would be your preferred method? I’d vote for carpet bombing Essex

Hows about, rather than a Cull, we just stop even more people coming here?

after all – thats the new Labour party policy isn’t it? “Enoch was right” 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

We spend more on benefits than we do on health, education and defence COMBINED.

And tax avoidance (legal or otherwise) is valued at a third of what the benefits bill is. Why is there not a war on that? And I don’t mean simply telling on Jimmy Carr to his mum.

It’s like he’s actively trying to outdo Maggie as if it’s a competition…

wrecker
    Free Member

Good luck with that. 😆
    Where will you go if they don’t get independence?

Because we decided to base our entire economy on the financial services industry moving around imaginary sums of money, instead of actually making anything or doing anything useful you mean?

I don’t think it was a good thing but we are when we are. Look at our population density, we don’t have the land mass to grow things and too many mouths to feed. We have a bit of oil, no hydropower to mention installed and some fish (whatever the EU has left us).

binners

Once Scotlandshire has ****ed off, we’ll be sorted. They cost the rest of us a fortune. Everyone up there is a fried food guzzling, buckfast gurgling smackhead. I saw a film about it once

grum
    Free Member

Where will you go if they don’t get independence?

Scandinavia?

Hows about, rather than a Cull, we just stop even more people coming here?

Given that most of the people who come here are net contributors – how is that going to help?

kimbers

bamboo – Member

If the government wanted to tackle the housing benefit costs, they should reintroduce rent controls. This would stop the government paying billions of pounds each year into the pockets of buy to let landlords, reduce rents, and go some way to making this country a cheaper and more competitive place to do business. But then Cameron and his mates (plus the Labour lot to be fair) all have their noses in the property trough so they won’t do this.

completely agree with this

wrecker
    Free Member

Why not have an immigration system based on points like the canadians, australians or americans?
    Ensure that those coming have the skills we need, no benefits for any immigrants until they get citizenship (5 years or so), eject all immigrants for committing a crime (or getting caught).

binners

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If we actually built anything of quality we wouldn’t have had to do this – it is a bit poor when it takes Japanese companies like Nissan to show us how to build quality cars in this country.

Funny thing is I think it was a British guy who peddled his ideas about quality control to the Japanese after the war because no-one in Britain wanted them.

Plus it never seems to go down well whenever I suggest that someone should favor something built in this country over something like Shimano if the cost/quality is similar.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It is also funny how young people from Eastern European countries can afford to come over here and work, whereas young people from this country need housing benefit.

binners

Isn’t that because they all live in somebodies garden shed in East London? And exist exclusively on a diet of Perch stolen from the local angling club, marinated in vodka?

poly
    Free Member

wrecker – you do realise that immigration in the UK is in fact governed by a system not dissimilar to Oz/Canada/USA where [non-EU migrants] must jump through various hoops to demonstrate they are bringing value, and those immigrants don’t qualify for most benefits – or have you just been reading the daily mail too much?

binners

But that only applies to non EU immigrants, doesn’t it? And there are only 23 of those a year anyway. As opposed to 2 thirds of the adult population of Warsaw. Every week. Or something

grum
    Free Member

And exist exclusively on a diet of Perch stolen from the local angling club, marinated in vodka?

Don’t forget about the swans. They eat our swans you know.

wrecker
    Free Member

or have you just been reading the daily mail too much?

I don’t read the mail. Never have, I don’t get told my opinion by a newspaper. I do have eyes though, and I see and speak to a variety of non EU people who have no obvious place to be during working hours.

and those immigrants don’t qualify for most benefits

Which immigrants do, then? I see many non UK nationals with council digs all the time.

El-bent
    Free Member

mcboo and Z11 – please explain how the Scandinavian countries have actually got it so wrong?

Because these countries aren’t libertarian enough? Remember, when dealing with people like these two, they are coming from the point of “ME before country”.

loum
    Free Member

Maybe we need to be looking at immigration from within the EU in a similar style to non eu immigration?

zimbo
    Free Member

Don’t forget about the swans. They eat our swans you know.

Our swans? How dare you. They’re Her Majesty’s swans.

binners

How can they catch the swans without having their arms broken?

mefty
    Free Member

You do realise that the Swedish government has been cutting taxes and reducing welfare payments since the financial crisis.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

The Archbishop Canterbury said the Tory “Big Society” is a…

“deeply damaging withdrawal of the state from its responsibilities to the most vulnerable”

And I agree.

The economy needs sorting, but hammering the poor is not the right way to do it. How anyone can support throwing young families into situations where there is no food or clothing is beyond me. There are certainly a few who play the system, but better that than escalation of childhood suffering and mortality through abject financial hardship.

El-bent
    Free Member

The economy needs sorting, but hammering the poor is not the right way to do it. How anyone can support throwing young families into situations where there is no food or clothing is beyond me. There are certainly a few who play the system, but better that than escalation of childhood suffering and mortality through abject financial hardship.

Because they only care for themselves. They know they are throwing these people on the skip because they didn’t get the education, opportunities, or even have financial backing that those in charge got.

Our leaders live in another country.

joao3v16
    Free Member

The Archbishop Canterbury said …

And I agree.

😯

Somebody on STW agreeing with the Church?

What is the world coming to *shakes head*

Everybody on here seems to think the Church should not be involved in politics or decisions that affect the nation …

😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don’t agree with the AofC’s beliefs, but on social justice and responsibility, he speaks much sense. And fair dues to him for sticking his head above the parapet and saying what needs saying sometimes. He knows that he’ll be listened to, so why not?

bwaarp
    Free Member

Seeing as under 25’s will see reduced services, will we see reduced tax?

NO.

philconsequence
    Free Member

I don’t agree with the AofC’s beliefs, but on social justice and responsibility, he speaks much sense. And fair dues to him for sticking his head above the parapet and saying what needs saying sometimes. He knows that he’ll be listened to, so why not?

+1

bwaarp
    Free Member

So why are the Tories not cutting benefits for the middle and upper class pensioners? The same people who hold very much more wealth than the current under-25’s.

Or are people who no longer have any long term benefit for the country more important than those that do?

Junkyard
    Free Member

they may want to but that age group actually vote so why not annoy those who dont?

+2 for AoC

crikey
    Free Member

So why are the Tories not cutting benefits for the middle and upper class pensioners? The same people who hold very much more wealth than the current under-25’s.

Or are people who no longer have any long term benefit for the country more important than those that do?

Um…. because those people have proved their worth? (rather than people who simply assume they will make a contribution)

…and because they all vote Tory too.

anagallis_arvensis

Could we not cut the council tax bill by sorting out the housing shortage as all the money goes to landlords anyway?

footflaps

Um…. because those people have proved their worth?

or just been lucky when they were born. My parents are sat on £1m of housing and they were only teachers when they bought the house / holiday home.

binners

Could we not cut the council tax bill by sorting out the housing shortage as all the money goes to landlords anyway?

You what?!!!

crikey
    Free Member

only teachers

Only?

ONLY?

Only the people we entrust the education of our young to?

I can tell they didn’t smack you enough…

bwaarp
    Free Member

Um…. because those people have proved their worth? (rather than people who simply assume they will make a contribution)

What so the generations that helped bring us two world wars, mutually assured destruction, the depression in the 70’s, Thatcherism, an ageing population crisis, rampant unsustainable consumerism and global warming, have contributed enough to get benefits they do not need?

crikey
    Free Member

What so the generations that brought us two world wars, mutually assured destruction, the depression in the 70’s, Thatcherism, an ageing population crisis, rampant unsustainable consumerism and global warming, have contributed enough to get benefits they do not need?

I think you may be blaming all the ills of the modern world on my mum and grandma, which is not entirely fair.

When you and your generation are in a position to look back, perhaps you may have a point. Until then you seem to be petulant.

bwaarp
    Free Member

My point still stands, why do they deserve to get benefits they do not need, apart from having paid tax? Which all of us do and will do. In fact my generation will most likely end up paying more tax to keep senile old codgers warm over the next decade, then never get such support from the government ourselves when we are 80. Why should we carry the burden of an ageing population and not the individuals in question?

We will pay as much tax but receive much less support from the government than the 50 plus generation.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘So Mr Cameron’ is closed to new replies.