Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • So, if there was a referendum…
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

… on whether or not we should distance ourselves from the “European Project”, how would you vote and why?

Stoner
    Free Member

away from European government for reasons of sovereign determinacy and democratic accountability. That doesnt mean I dont consider myself “european”. Im rather europhillic.

SaxonRider

Towards. I consider myself a citizen of Europe first and of Britain second.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No idea,

Based on the general opposition to academy schools in another thread based on economies of scale, why not evolve power to europe completely.

[for the greater good]
    [for the greater good]
    [for the greater good]
    [for the greater good]
    [for the greater good]

mudshark
    Free Member

More distance, though I quite fancy living in France really.

jon1973
    Free Member

Difficult to distance ourselves too much when most of our trade is with Europe.

uplink
    Free Member

I wouldn’t vote for totally amputating ourselves

I’d rather we just had a trade and border agreement than all the other guff

rkk01
    Free Member

all the other guff

Such as?

sweepy
    Free Member

In europe, for the good they do keeping our govt in line.

DaRC_L

Silly question – we’re too tied in by law and trade.
    Yes we could break loads of treaties etc… just as we could cut off our own noses.

So a referendum on would you cut off your nose to spite your face?

mudshark
    Free Member

How many supporters to UKIP have? Not a lot but some. Depends on how much being a member costs us – not as much as Germany has just agreed to contribute to the bailout fund.

emsz
    Free Member

I don’t know enough about it really.

I like the idea of being European, but I’m not sure that politicians in the EU would do any better than the useless lot we have already.

I can’t understand why it would be any different if I spent euros in Tesco than a pound, or is that too simple?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Really? I find that quite sad really.

sofatester
    Free Member

I can’t understand why it would be any different if I spent euros in Tesco than a pound, or is that too simple?

It’s probabaly not too simple, just all the people with The Money want us to belive it is.

wrecker
    Free Member

SaxonRider

???

PJM1974
    Free Member

It depends. In it’s current form, the answer would be no.

But that’s not because of xenophobia, it’s because of the way the EU is run and the lack of consistency amongst constituents’ states. If it consisted of western Europe states and Scandinavia then the idea would be a resounding yes.

The Tories and New Labour have done far more harm to the UK than the EU ever did.

derekrides
    Free Member

Unequivocally out.

Lots of reasons none of you would understand and those that would, read the Guardian so don’t count.

SaxonRider

PeterPoddy – Member

Really? I find that quite sad really.

Why is that sad?

wrecker – Member

SaxonRider

???

And what on earth does that mean???

Junkyard
    Free Member

Closer mainly to annoy the usual little englander types – sovereignty is that like the way Blair listened to us over Iraq or countless other examples we could easily cite.
    I dont really consider myself proud to be either British or European or particularly reviled by either.
    It wont happen and the issue could easily split the coalition and possibly the Tories

EDIT: I think they are patriotic and are questioning your allegiance which I find rather sad tbh.

midlifecrashes

I was European long before UK joined the Common Market, and would remain so if we left the European Union. Overall I think the European project, together with NATO has been a huge success in maintaining political stability (basically no wars) in the region, but times have changed a lot. Would greatly prefer full abolition of member states for complete economic and political integration to the multi agency mess with turf wars we have now, but since that is unlikely I think we’re actually better off out out altogether because it isn’t working very well for either rich or poor at the momment.

donsimon
    Free Member

What is the Europroject?
    Are you talking about the European Union as a trading area?
    Are you talking about a single curreny?
    Are you talking about a lack of fiscal policy?
    Are you talking about the ECB making Eurozone wide decisions?
    Are you talking about a single policy maker in respect of legislation?

In theory the single currency and single fiscal policy should work and benefit many after a settling in period, but it’s better to grow into this position rather than have it forced upon you.

mcboo
    Free Member

Well this is about to be the next big debate, do we want to pull back some powers as the European core goes full tilt for federalism? I like being a member of a large free trade zone with relatively free movement of labour but beyond that I’m cold. The highest court in the land ought to be a be a British one, that isnt the case. If France wants to spend their taxpayers money subsidising their farmers they should be free to do so but I want nothing further to do with the CAP.

So, on balance, in but on our terms.

uplink
    Free Member

Here you go mcboo, you have similar beliefs to this great parliamentarian

Britain’s continuing membership of the Community would mean the end of Britain as a completely self-governing nation and the end of our democratically elected Parliament as the supreme law making body in the United Kingdom.

Edukator
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter.

#waves a French passport#

TheBrick
    Free Member

Closer in what respect and further away in what respect?

Mugboo

I live in Yorkshire and am currently enjoying another fantastic holiday in France.

I wish Britain would revel in being British because I love the French being French!

Vive la difference. Sod one Europe…!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

closer everytime. together we are stronger. Our reluctance to do so has damaged the EU and has meant it has grown in ways we do not like. Teh euro would be stronger with our entry to it

chewkw
    Free Member

As far away as possible unless you are suicidal with a wish to let a pen pusher like me take charge of your life. My pen pushing skills will destroy you instantly sucker!

Nope, fill in the form please if you feel like complaining and yes please read the small prints. Take a course or something to learn to complain. Yes, fill in another form requesting for the form please. But before that please attend the compulsory course for filling in the form and please pay the correct amount.

European project? Yes! Pen pusher rules! Maggot!
    😈

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘So, if there was a referendum…’ is closed to new replies.