Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • So, if starting from scratch with lighting in a house would you….
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

The West Wing is currently under construction (staff quarters you understand 😉 ).

Obviously LED is the future but it’s a fairly big extension (10x4m) plus kitchen on the side, do I stump up a mahoosive amount of money for specific LED downlighters (£30 each for decent JCC ones maybe?) or just standard cheapish 240v GU10 fittings and retrofit some Megaman LEDs in at tenner a pop.

The Megaman replacement bulbs are COB so I’d suspect better technology, just thinking a specific unit would possibly be out of date pretty quickly in terms of spec.

S’ppose either way I’m not expecting to replace bulbs for quite a long time, just wincing at the endless cost of the build and the potential to stick £1000 of LEDs in the ceiling too!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Oh, and while I’ve got your attention – bathrooms – got low voltage halogens in there at moment, looking to get LEDs as replacements – would they have to be LV too because of the moisture?

johndoh
    Free Member

No you can get sealed units like these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/robus-fixed-round-mains-voltage-bathroom-downlight-polished-chrome-240v/22455

I teamed them up with the highest output LEDs I could find from LED Hut online. And remember, warm ones in the kitchen, cool ones for the bathroom.

rwamartin
    Free Member

We would normally fit Click or Robus GU10 firerated downlighters with Robus LED bulbs.
    As for the bathroom there is no need for low voltage lights, you just need suitably IP rated fittings. Again, Click or Robus but there are other good manufacturers. A visit to your local electrical wholesaler should give you plenty of options.
    Rich.

nickjb
    Free Member

We put a lighting track in the new kitchen extension. Was pretty cheap and should give a lot of flexibility. I always wince when these eco homes on grand designs have hundreds of down lighters

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I shall do some Robus googling tonight…

breatheeasy
    Free Member

We put a lighting track in the new kitchen extension. Was pretty cheap and should give a lot of flexibility. I always wince when these eco homes on grand designs have hundreds of down lighters

I’ll check out the lighting rack – I expect MrsBreathe won’t approve though in here minimalistic vision from hell for the kitchen…

Plenty of glass/light coming in so I’m hopeful we can live with less than 500 LEDs 😛

properbikeco
    Free Member

avoid downlighters like the plague!

thats the only advice I can give!

(apart from wire it in 1.5mm and junction at the switch to make testing/faulting/extension much easier)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘So, if starting from scratch with lighting in a house would you….’ is closed to new replies.