Viewing 6 posts - 201 through 206 (of 206 total)
  • So, free labour movement then?
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Re moving: when big industries shut down it can depress local housing markets e.g. Barrow in the early 90’s lots of skilled people made redundant but with negative equity meaning they couldn’t sell their homes meaning doctors writing sick notes at a tenner a pop = shit hole. Extreme example but a real one.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Moving presents problems.

a) it costs money
    b) you have to leave your family and friends – which isn’t very nice
    c) once you’ve moved, you’ve got no support when you have kids for instance, and your parents aren’t around to look after your kids when you’re both at work. Or you’re a single parent and you’re at work.
    Johnny foreigner seems to manage this with ease, and this is a major part of the problem. As salaries are becoming more competitive we still want to maintain our current lifestyles and not give up anything. Solution: Get rid of the competition.
    What could go wrong?

MSP

I don’t see the problem with maintaining and improving lifestyles from one generation to the next. That should be an aim for all governments.

But globalisation and automation cannot be turned back, instead of austerity we should be investing in infrastructure, technology and lifelong education, these are what creates jobs and improves lives not protectionism and isolation.

molgrips
    Free Member

Johnny foreigner seems to manage this with ease, and this is a major part of the problem.

Hang on a minute. SOME foreigners manage it, same as SOME British people manage it. You don’t see the foreigners who want or need to stay at home, or who haven’t transferable skills, because they are all at home. And there are plenty of them of course.

instead of austerity we should be investing in infrastructure, technology and lifelong education, these are what creates jobs and improves lives not protectionism and isolation.

Absolutely.

I feel we’ve made good progress here today. Can some tag Theresa May so she can have a read?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Hang on a minute. SOME foreigners manage it, same as SOME British people manage it. You don’t see the foreigners who want or need to stay at home, or who haven’t transferable skills, because they are all at home. And there are plenty of them of course.

In that case you’ve convinced me. We should close the borders now and retrain those who don’t have the skills that are required.
    That was easy.

molgrips
    Free Member

In that case you’ve convinced me.

You’re misconstruing.

I’m a remainer, I’m just identifying the issues with freedom of labour movement as a concept. And the issues with restricted labour movement.

The only sensible economic solution is to remain in the EU and make it work. If you let the markets **** people over then they will – the EU may (or may not) make this worse.

If you make sure that people have the support they need to get on in the modern world, then everyone’s a winner.

Viewing 6 posts - 201 through 206 (of 206 total)

The topic ‘So, free labour movement then?’ is closed to new replies.