Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 226 total)
  • So, do we think Wiggins is clean?
  • wukfit
    Free Member

I’ve read his autobiography and he never talks about taking anything to improve his performance….. In fact he does say he doesn’t agree with it, and would leave a team if he found out teammates were, or if people tried to get him to

flange
    Free Member

Name me anybody on this thread who does.

Tell you what chief, you carry on looking for an argument.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Funny how people on this forum keep coming up with another cyclist who has never ever doped who just happens to be… .

Bye for now.

could you bring something other than innuendo and rubbish arguments next time?

Name me anybody on this thread who does.
    Tell you what chief, you carry on looking for an argument.

He is not looking for an argument he is refuting the point that anyone on this thread has claimed the entire peleton is clean

crazy-legs

I said words to that effect earlier.

You don’t expect I actually read any of the previous 5 pages do you?!

aracer
    Free Member

Funny how people on this forum keep coming up with another cyclist who has never ever doped who just happens to be… .

Why don’t you just come out and name who’s been mentioned on this thread as being clean who you think doped, and provide some sort of evidence that they did actually dope? Alternatively just don’t bother commenting if you want to look less stupid.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

It would not surprise me if Sky, with their approach to marginal gains, have thoroughly looked into what they can get away with to improve performance and remain inside the law.

they said as much in The Skys The Limit, talking about legal injections (before the UCI no-needle rule). Garmin introduced a no-needle policy, whereas Sky figured out how much they could inject and how often and stay legal (talking about legal substances such as vitamins, not injecting banned PEDs at levels or regimes below detection).

I dont think Wiggins doped, his argument about just how much he would lose is such common sense it’d be a weird one for a doper to give and still be able to rationalise doping to himself.

flange
    Free Member

I’d also put money on it being clean for the majority. There’s no way teams are at it anymore, and with whole teams being expelled for a single rider being caught there must be pressure on the riders not to dope.

You’re right…exchange ‘entire’ for ‘majority’. My point still stands

Blower
    Free Member

I’ve read his autobiography and he never talks about taking anything to improve his performance….. In fact he does say he doesn’t agree with it, and would leave a team if he found out teammates were, or if people tried to get him to

he aint gonna admit it though is he

MSP

I dont think Wiggins doped, his argument about just how much he would lose is such common sense it’d be a weird one for a doper to give and still be able to rationalise doping to himself.

That’s pretty weird logic, clearly dopers don’t worry about what they might lose because of doping, it’s all about what they will win and damn the costs to themselves and the sport.

I’ve read his autobiography and he never talks about taking anything to improve his performance….

You should read one of Lances books as well, he goes into great lengths talking about his doping regime, surprised they didn’t catch him earlier with him being so open about it

Junkyard
    Free Member

sarcasm aside are you two suggesting the fact he denies it is somehow proof he does it …its not a great argument.

wukfit
    Free Member

My early comment about his auto biography wasn’t supposed to be taken seriously,

imnotverygood

To be fair. I read Bruyneel’s book & came away pretty convinced that he was involved. It wasn’t exactly a convincing denial..

Blower
    Free Member

good point doh

im unwell thats my excuse 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

She added: “I do despair that the sport will ever clean itself up when rewards of stealing are greater than riding clean. If that remains the case, the temptation for those with no morals will always be too great.”

Nicole Cooke 14/1/2013. BBC Sport

Just in case we all get a bit too comfy!

MSP

sarcasm aside are you two suggesting the fact he denies it is somehow proof he does it …its not a great argument.

No I am saying that a denial is not proof of anything, to claim it is is a pretty poor argument.

I read that Nicole Cook interview earlier, she is certainly quite scathing…

Edukator
    Free Member

Back now I’ve fixed my ski boots. From the climatic chnage thread:

The difficulties in debunking blatant antireality are legion. You can make up any old nonsense and state it in a few seconds, but it takes much longer to show why it’s wrong and how things really are.

“A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”

– Attributed to Mark Twain

A nice link as Junkyard said.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

His argument about just how much he would lose is such common sense it’d be a weird one for a doper to give and still be able to rationalise doping to himself.

Dopers have a track record in that regard: “Why would someone in my position, with my medical history, take something like that?” – Lance Armstrong on growth hormone, in 2001.

Kryton57

“Tyler Hamilton will make more money from a book describing how he cheated than I will make in all my years of honest labour.”

Hmmm

LoveTubs
    Free Member

I remember having the exact same conversation with a cycling friend of mine about Lancy boy back in 2000/2001.

Is it not the case that in order to compete with everyone else one is forced to dope; as we all would if our families depended on our earnings.

I would.

aracer
    Free Member

You can make up any old nonsense and state it in a few seconds

Well that would certainly explain your contributions to this thread.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Is it not the case that in order to compete with everyone else one is forced to dope; as we all would if our families depended on our earnings

Thing is though Armstrong didn’t need to come back to cycling. He had insurance with Cofidis which would have left him comfortable for life had he retired on health grounds. It was his choice to come back and cheat.

molgrips
    Free Member

I originally thought Lance was ok, but the more cycling I watched the more I realised how improbable those races were.

The TdF looked way way cleaner than that, but maybe they’ve just got better at pretending to be knackered?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is it not the case that in order to compete with everyone else one is forced to dope; as we all would if our families depended on our earnings

Speak for yourself there – I would one day have to look into the eyes of my children and explain why Daddy was a drug taking cheat- I canno imagine telling them I did it for them.

PS – when he came back he was unmarried and had no kids
    declared cancer free feb 97
    Married – may 98
    Wins tours Summer 99
    first child october 1999

I dont think he can claim this tbh – but who knows what he will say

Rumours so far as the interview has been done is that he admits it

Macavity
    Free Member

From
    Bradle Wiggins : My Time

“The doping insinuations on Twitter had begun after the Tour of Romandie, and they had continued after Sky had dominated on the Joux Plane at the Dauphine. So I’d been thinking about what to say for some time. There weren’t any direct accusations: it was more of a nod and a wink, knowing comments. I don’t often lose my temper, but this had made me angry. I think if only people understood what have to put myself and my family through in order to win the Tour, and if they realised what I have in my life that doping would lose me, they would probably think differently.

I knew that if I went well at the Tour these accusations were going to happen more and more. I was waiting for it. I had decided that when the question was asked I wasn’t going to give it the old, ‘I can sleep at night with a clear conscience’ and all that sort of crap. The response had been in my head a fair while: I thought, ‘I’m just going to give them the kind of answer they’d expect if they asked me in the pub’.

After the stage into Porrentruy a journalist came with it direct in the press conference: what did I make of the insinuation on the net that Sky’s performances were reminiscent of those put in by Lance Armstrong’s US Postal Service team? I knew what he meant: were we doping?

I told him this: I say they’re just **** ****. I cannot be doing with people like that. It justifies their own boneidleness because they can’t ever imagine applying themselves to doing anything in their lives. It’s easy for them to sit under a pseudonym on Twitter and write that sort of shit rather than get off their arses in their own lives and apply themselves and work hard at something and achieve something. And that’s ultimately it. C***s’.

……..

I wanted to nip the accusations in the bud straightaway when someone asked that question. I just went for it; I don’t see why I shouldn’t be allowed to do that. Even if we are athletes in a public position, we are also human beings. I think people in the past have set a precedent for how to handle these situations. For example, Lance Armstrong seemed to enjoy the confrontations with the media ia a way: he liked to fight and when they asked him about doping, it was just another battle for him. I don’t get angry in public very often – there were journalists there who reckoned they’d never seen me get mad before, not once in ten years – but there was a good reason for my anger.

I’ve always tried to be genuine, and I will continue to be. That didn’t have to change just because I was trying to win the Tour. Alot of people may not like it, but there are some who appreciate it. It goes back to what I’ve always said about being a role model. I’m only human. I don’t clain to be someone I’m not.

………….

That’s why I never condemn anyone. I look at David Millar, who lived in France from the age of nineteen, and I can see how he fell into it. You have to look back at cycling in the late 1990s and early 2000s: it was completely different. It’s not the same for today’s generation.

……… I get incredibly angry when I’m accused of doping, or even when it’s merely implied. That accusation is like saying to someone else: you cheat at your job, you cheated to get to where you are now.

I made a particular effort to explain it to Herve Bombrun, a journalist from l’Equipe. I’m good friends with him, so fortunately I was able to make my point without him punching me in the face.

He asked me: ‘What is that anger all about? It’s all right you saying all this kind of stuff-‘

‘Have you got kids?’

‘Yeah, I’m married with kids’

‘What if I said to you they’re not your kids?’

‘What do you mean?’

‘What if I said, your wife had an affair at the time, so she got pregnant by someone else?’

‘Well, no I don’t think they are’

So he started getting upset, and I explained, ‘Look, it makes you angry, doesn’t it? It makes you want to come out fighting. It’s like people telling me I’m cheating at what I’m doing; it gets me angry.

‘Ah oui, oh gosh’

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Trouble is until the evidence becomes insurmountable drugs cheats will say anything and spin any kind of lie- look at Tyler Hamilton and Floyd Landis- so you can’t really go by what any cyclist tells you even Wiggins’ persuasive argument above. I prefer to look at the data and that’s telling us the peloton has slowed down (see these stats from the TdF).which means there’s no/less doping going on and hopefully giving a clean rider, like I hope Wiggins is, a chance.

Junkyard
    Free Member

drugs cheats will say anything and spin any kind of lie- look at Tyler Hamilton and Floyd Landis- so you can’t really go by what any cyclist tells you even Wiggins’ persuasive argument above.

What you should realise is that cycling drug cheats lie about this and it is not a reason to assume that all cyclist are lying drugs cheats- many denied it and it was true for example.

More generally people lie but that is no reason to not trust anything you hear as most of the time cyclists and people actually tell the truth.

Edukator
    Free Member

People have insuinuated I dope. It’s never made me angry, just a little bemused that they think I need to dope to be so crap. If you win anything worth winning in endurance sports expect people to assume you’re doping and get used to it. It doesn’t much matter what others think I do because I know what I do and don’t do.

I sometimes think stars should have their Twitter accounts closed for their own good. That rant above makes me think he’s capable of anything.

avdave2

Dopers have a track record in that regard: “Why would someone in my position, with my medical history, take something like that?” – Lance Armstrong on growth hormone, in 2001.

Can you point out the denial in that statement. All I can see is a question.

Edukator
    Free Member

Denials, lots of them:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RZc7eOkcRg[/video]

Cubed
    Free Member

None of them are clean until they ban all supplements, feed them bread and water and then see how they do.

Supplements for this, supplements for that. Energy drinks all over the place.

But then how would the sport earn money!

By the way ‘Bertie is no way clean after his mountain stages in the vuelta – acceleration and recovery like i have not seen since armstrong!’

oldgit
    Free Member

Brilliant, how can I learn so much about cycling.

FWIW I think he is clean. The fact he was with BC so long helps sway it for me.
    Who knows what happened at Cofidis?
    Timing was spot on for a Tour win, circumstances played a massive part in his win.

I like this thinking ‘he isn’t a drugs cheat, read his book if you don’t believe it’

Junkyard
    Free Member

Bertie is this generations LA IMHO

Edukator
    Free Member

Who are Wiggins and Froome then, Junkyard? Jalabert?

crazy-legs

Except he’s nowhere near as good at it. At least Armstrong was a) very good at doping and not being caught and b) had a presence, a bit of a personality.

Contador has all the personality of a wet sponge. I despise the cheating little shit although I also hate the fact that the UCI and Spanish Federation messed around for so long and allowed him to go and win further races (which then had to be taken off him) while he was under investigation for doping.

Edukator
    Free Member

Armstrong and Bertie both caught positive once each but the UCI accepted an ante-dated medical certificate from Armstrong. If the UCI had stuck to its own rules Armstrong would have lost his 99 Tour there and then and been banned for two years.

seba560
    Free Member

I think that a rider can not be doing this alone and by throwing this accusation towards Contador you are also tainting the team he rides for and the Spanish Federation. This depth of knowledge is something I think we’ll see on Oprah.

deviant
    Free Member

I think that a rider can not be doing this alone and by throwing this accusation towards Contador you are also tainting the team he rides for and the Spanish Federation. This depth of knowledge is something I think we’ll see on Oprah.

Very much this.

Lance is about to blow professional cycling out of the water.

MSP

Lance is about to blow professional cycling out of the water.

Only if you are still in denial about the details already revealed, there is nothing much more he can add now, apart from spin.

oldgit
    Free Member

The ‘feeling’ is he is about to make it even bigger.

I had a funny feeling about all this right now, why did he come clean now. It’s assumed he is about to get roasted, now the guy maybe some things, but stupid ain’t one of them.
    Just think the old bugger has something up his sleeve, and not just needles.
    He knew he was cheating, we all guessed he was cheating, but did the governing bodies KNOW he was cheating…hmmmm.

molgrips
    Free Member

When is it being aired btw?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 226 total)

The topic ‘So, do we think Wiggins is clean?’ is closed to new replies.