Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • So, do I get a new frame?
  • PJay
    Free Member

One of the problems with bikes is that you just keep wanting new stuff – fine if you can afford it, but maybe not if you can't.

I've developed a yearning for a new frame. I've gone from a £250 bike to a rigid Inbred with Deore kit and now ride an 853 Inbred with mostly XT kit and Reba fork. The thing is money's tight and I can't really justify jumping up to the next level as in the past (I'd love a ti. hardtail frame) so I'd just be buying a 'similar' frame.

The thing is, the 853 Inbred is a great frame and a lovelly bike to ride. OK I moan about the chainstay clearance with I get chainsuck, but that's a rare occurance and a chainsuck plate seems to have solved the damage issue. Now there's no harm in having a new frame just because you fancy a change, but if it's something along the same lines there's a danger that it'll be unremarkable, or even not a good – all for the sake of the urge to buy.

So, do I treat myself to a new frame (I've got a few in mind – the Genesis Altitude, Kinesis Virsa Prestige, Cove Handjob or maybe a 2009 Rocky Mountain Blizzard if any turn up in the sales like last year) or do I convinve myself that the one I've got is fine and enjoy riding it safe in the knowledge that if it breaks there's money in the bank for a replacement?

I know it's a question I need to answer for myself really, but I'd be interested to here people's thoughts.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Is this ton with a different login?

BigDummy
    Free Member

If the frame's fine, and money's even vaguely tight, then I'd hang onto the frame and the money. The money would be better spent on wheels, forks or brakes if you must spend it.

But you're not intending to be scrupulously rational about this are you? 😉

nedrapier

Keep it! Won't be too long before you get attached to it because you've had it for ages. Then you're set till it breaks.

If you really want to go to the next level, go on a skills course. Pretty much much guaranteed you'll learn enough to make you faster. Cheaper and probably longer lasting than a new frame too!

Tiboy

why not keep your eye out for a 2nd hand ti frame in the classifieds? for not much more than the price of a decent new steel frame there have been some very nice ti frames come up, i got my airborne black widow for jsut over 400.

mrfrosty
    Free Member

Keep it, ride it through the winter an save up. Unless you can save alot of $$$ of super bling keep it. Your frame cant be much different/better than the ones you've listed

nigew
    Free Member

as Mr frosty said the others you list might not be any better
    I sold an 853 Inbred and replaced it with a Cove Handjob and boy do i regret it!
    The Inbred was so much better, the riding position on the Handjob just didnt feel right and didnt seem to handle well at all, could be all in my head though 😉
    I tried different forks, bars stems and all manner of set ups and hated it.
    If you decide to sell and its a geared medium/ 18" please let me know!

chrisd
    Free Member

Stop thinking about buying bits and ride the damn thing! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘So, do I get a new frame?’ is closed to new replies.